Does anyone happen to know any of the theory behind wttj? I am trying to analyze it and so far I am guessing that it starts out in B minor in intro. then for the verse is where I get confused. is it E dorian or B Dorian??? they are playing a C#5 chord and it has the note G# and that is confusing me because I thought it was at first E dorian. I appreciate any help.
I dont think even Gunners know the theory behind it. They prolly just got ****ed up on piss and drugs and made something that sounded good :P
How about we work through it together? I'll start by saying that modes are not employed at all in this or any other Guns n Roses songs.

Now what are the chords? Where does it feel it resolves to?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
It starts out on the V. You can't just analyze songs diatonically, but you also need to understand them tonally. I don't know what, if any theory you know and understand, but if you don't(apparently) have your ideas concerning modes straight, then this is way over your head, and you may want to go a ways back and make sure you know what you are doing before trying song analysis.

Best,

Sean
Quote by AlanHB
How about we work through it together? I'll start by saying that modes are not employed at all in this or any other Guns n Roses songs.

Now what are the chords? Where does it feel it resolves to?

in the beginning it feels like it resolves to B. then in the verse first verse it feels like it resolves to E.

chords in intro are b5 a5 b5 e5 b5 a5 b5 d5 a5 then a build up on b5 right before the 1 st verse starts. the riff is an a5 chord with g and G flat then an E at the end. then there is a riff of e5 e5 d5 e5 d5 c#5 b5 for the rest of the first verse and to me it sounds like the verse should just end on an E note...

by the way, I figured out by ear generally what sounded like was going on in the song and I am very sure that it is correct. if you are unsure just try it out and it should sound correct. I found these clips on you tube where you can hear what each member of the band is doing by themselves by the way.

and I thought Sweet Child o Mine was in D mixolydian you said they never use modes?!
Last edited by Unreal T at Jun 9, 2011,
I sort of forgot I just remember that is what I thought a long time ago. Please just help me with welcome to the jungle for now lol
Ok. Well you feel that the beginning resolves to a B, and the verses/chorus' resolve to an E. It has to resolve to either a major or a minor chord. So in the beginning would you think it resolves to B major/minor? For the E would you think E major/minor?

Even if the chords are 5th chords, they're just parts of smaller chords. You can refer to other instruments (voice, bass etc) to get further hints as to whether it would be major or minor.
Soundcloud
b minor and E minor...

by the way in the intro right before the verse the bass does a little fill and sounds like it goes up to resolve on an E note and slides down. sometimes i get confused with what all the different instruments are doing. so am I right so far?
Quote by Unreal T
b minor and E minor...

by the way in the intro right before the verse the bass does a little fill and sounds like it goes up to resolve on an E note and slides down. sometimes i get confused with what all the different instruments are doing. so am I right so far?

Yeah pretty much. So most of the song is in E minor. I haven't bothered listening to the song recently so I'll just take your word for it.

Using your knowledge of harmonising the E minor scale, we can assume that the E5 is actually an E minor chord, not playing the 3rd. What would the other 5th chords be?
Soundcloud
well i know the chords in e minor are Em, F# diminished , G, Am, Bm, C, D. I am trying to figure out why they are using chords in the verse that are not in E minor. that is what is confusing me. I know I hear a C#5 and also a C5 right before he starts singing shanana knees kneeees. There are a lot of songs I try to figure out by ear and analyze but I always end up stumbling on something like this.
Well the D chord would be borrowed from the parallel major - it's uncommon to find diminished chords in rock songs.

What are you aiming to figure out with the theory? And have you analysed other songs before?
Soundcloud
I just want to figure out what the bands are doing theory wise so maybe I can try it myself. I have tried analyzing other songs too. I have analyzed other songs and I can only get so far. So with welcome to the jungle how would you interpret it? is it a key change from the intro to the verse?

Did you mean the C# chord? D is a chord in E minor..
I'd ask KYMonster, but I suspect he would just tell me I needed a new amp....
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.