I'm considering buying a Peavey Windsor 20W wonder if anyone has experience with it playing metal. I can't try before I buy. I also play blues but am pretty sure it can do that well.
Yes they make it in a 20W combo and call it a "studio" model. But in my experience, 20W tube watts is more than enough to get over a loud drummer. As for the sound quality, yeah thrash like megadeth or anthrax is exactly the tone I'm wanting. It's a class a amp though and wonder if that might be too vintage. I particularly want tight lows for chugging.
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Well I would definitely skip it if you want chugging. It should have megadeth and anthrax covered but what kind of budget do you have?

I can afford more but am not a pro so can't really justify buying say a marshall jcm800. Plus this package due to it's size suits my lifestyle. Can you recommend something similar? The blackstars are more or less competition but seems like they jump from 5 to 50w and nothing in between. On the other hand they probably have a more metalish tone.
Krank Rev Jr sounds up yr alley. Best low-wattage metal amp on the market and also has passable cleans.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
Krank Rev Jr sounds up yr alley. Best low-wattage metal amp on the market and also has passable cleans.

I've heard good things about Kranks. But I checked and the rev. jr is 50W. They have a 20W version called the krankenstein which is similar to apparently what Dime used in his last days. That sound I can get from a Randall SS. You really think the krank is worth the dough? It's quite a bit more expensive.
No no, there's a 20 watt Krank Rev Jr Pro.

You want the Pro ver... the regular Rev Jr can't really go into the brootz and isn't as versatile.

Take heed tho, you really need to spend a lot of time to learn how to manipulate the sweep knob + EQ. It can take a while to dial in.

http://www.krankamps.com/products/rev-jr-pro-50-41
http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/productDetail/productDetail.jsp?entProductId=500126
http://www.beyondeleven.com/Krank-Rev-Jr-Pro-20W-Full-Stack-p/krank-rev-jr-pro-full-stack.htm
http://www.music123.com/Guitars/Guitar-Amplifiers-Effects/Guitar-Amplifiers/Guitar-Amp-Heads/Tube-Guitar-Amp-Heads/Rev-Jr.-Pro-20W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head.site7prod500126.product

But first... budget?

Quote by gypsyblues
I've heard good things about Kranks. But I checked and the rev. jr is 50W. They have a 20W version called the krankenstein which is similar to apparently what Dime used in his last days. That sound I can get from a Randall SS. You really think the krank is worth the dough? It's quite a bit more expensive.

The Krankenstein is basically a Rev tweaked to Dime's personal liking... I didn't find myself too impressed... it sounded too heavy and dark IMO.

The Rev Jr Pro sounds significantly different from the Krankenstein... and its a whole lot more versatile as well. A good reference point is Arch Enemy's Doomsday Machine album... I'd be lying to say I can get that tone, but I can actually get fairly close.

The Krank faces 2 problems IMO:
1. The tone: I don't know how to describe it... I'd say its dry. It's not exactly harsh... but the sounds don't exactly sparkle. I'd say it sounds muscular. Its really hard to describe. The clean channels' average, but the OD channel is really balls-to-the-walls-and-then-a-whole-bloody-lot-more geared for heavy metal. you can get anything from hair metal to NWOBHM to detah metal to black metal. Problem is.. Kranks sound unique... very unique.. you either love the tone or you hate it.

2. The amp can be versatile sounding, if yo know how to manipulate the Sweep knob and the EQ... and that will take quite a bit of a learning curve. However, because its so sensitive, a lot of people just try to dial in a common setting and it sounds like crap at the store. Hence Kranks get a bit of a bad rep because of this. Make no mistake tho, once you know how to dial it in, you can get a lot of tones. The challenge is learning how to.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jun 9, 2011,
+1 to the Krank Rev Jr. and JCA recs

The windsor head does thrash metal OK, but the combo is a different animal IMO (and not in a good way).
Quote by gypsyblues
I can afford more but am not a pro so can't really justify buying say a marshall jcm800. Plus this package due to it's size suits my lifestyle. Can you recommend something similar? The blackstars are more or less competition but seems like they jump from 5 to 50w and nothing in between. On the other hand they probably have a more metalish tone.

5 to 50? Have you checked? There's two in between called the HT-Studio 20 and the HT-Club 40.
Quote by Syriel
5 to 50? Have you checked? There's two in between called the HT-Studio 20 and the HT-Club 40.

No, I was wrong, the jr rev is 20W and it's in my budget. As for my budget let's say around the range we're talking about. I'm gonna have to listen to Arch Enemy like Ragingkittty said, cause I can't try any of this stuff cause i live in chile, where these things don't grow on trees. I'd have to order it.

Any other bands that use these, so I get an idea of the sound? The youtube demos of most amps I find confuse more, cause they either are done with shitty mics or a pro studio quality setup by some music store that fools you into believing you can sound that good without their awesome pa and who knows what else.
Quote by gypsyblues
No, I was wrong, the jr rev is 20W and it's in my budget. As for my budget let's say around the range we're talking about. I'm gonna have to listen to Arch Enemy like Ragingkittty said, cause I can't try any of this stuff cause i live in chile, where these things don't grow on trees. I'd have to order it.

Any other bands that use these, so I get an idea of the sound? The youtube demos of most amps I find confuse more, cause they either are done with shitty mics or a pro studio quality setup by some music store that fools you into believing you can sound that good without their awesome pa and who knows what else.

Krank's are great for what they're worth, but they're a love or hate amp. Not everyone likes them, but people who love them pretty much SWEAR by them.
Syriel, sorry you were talking about a 20W Blackstar. Yes it exists and is in the price range. These really interest me, if only I could try one. but they are getting awesome reviews and apparently Ozzy's new guitarist uses em.

Everyone says Kranks sound so unique you either like em or not. The Blackstars seem much more versitile.
Quote by Syriel
Krank's are great for what they're worth, but they're a love or hate amp. Not everyone likes them, but people who love them pretty much SWEAR by them.

Yeah that pretty much sums it up.

You can check this video, I know its not the best quality... but listen for the attack... the tone at the moment of attack. That's a key feature of the Rev Jr Pros, and can be a little hard to dial out, but the problem lies in that... it gives it a nasally quality (I can't find a better word to describe it)... and a few of my friends are really put off by that sound...

However, the chug in that demo is very real.

I know someone just posted a link to a youtube vid that showcases the Krank Rev Jr Pro very well... I can't find it now. I'll try to dig it up, but don't hold your breath.

EDIT: Found it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Af8qHOCupo

Ignore the fact that it is labelled as the Rev Jr... its actually the Rev Jr Pro.

The Rev Jr has its logo label on the left side of the amp, while the Pro has its logo label on the right (as you can see in the video).
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jun 9, 2011,