i rencently brought my first proper guitar, a fender electric acoustic cutaway
(http://www.soundsliveshop.com/Handlers/ProductDetail/Main/ProductDetailImage.ashx?Path=/Resources/Images/main/FEN-096-0630-032.JPG)
it has been perfect from the day i brought it home and i have been really happy playing it until recently.
i recently changed the strings, (witch i believe were of a medium gage) to some light ones. my older brother put them on for me and they were fine. the next day though my brother and i realised that the 'g' string had gone slightly out of tune. both my electric tuner and my inbuilt tuner both stated that the string was in perfect tune.
it hasn't been much of a problem until now were i can notice the de-tuning even more.
my brother ( who has been playing for 6 years self taught and owns a vintage acoustic) said that maybe it was that the guitar was not 'fit' for light strings.
if this is the case could someone possibly tell me if i can variate with types of strings ( as in putting light strings on all except the g string and using a medium gage one instead) or would that muck up the strings completely, if it is not what my brother said than i would love to know what is. and if i will be able to use light strings on my guitar
thank you
p.x
light strings are the normal strings that most guitars come with. you say the tuner says the guitar shows the string is in tune - does the guitar sound out of tune all the time or only when fretted?

btw, tuners i've used tend to be a little off, so i tend to do the "fine tuning" by ear. it's not odd that new strings would go out of tune a little for the first few days.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
thanks for replying the tuner says the string is perfectly in tune to a G tho when fretted it dosent sound right ( when i strum with no fingers on the fret board it sounds pretty normal? )
unforchently i've only been playing for a while and tuning by ear is out of the question ! and also my brother has moved so he cant tune it for me.
its been about a month since i put them on, im thinking of buying some new strings as the ones i have have started to stay in tune less anyway, should i risk buying light strings again or should i just go with medium??
again thanks for your answer much aprechiated

>>light strings are the normal strings that most guitars come with. you say the tuner says the guitar shows the string is in tune - does the guitar sound out of tune all the time or only when fretted?

btw, tuners i've used tend to be a little off, so i tend to do the "fine tuning" by ear. it's not odd that new strings would go out of tune a little for the first few days.
What you may have is an intonation problem. If the intonation is off, then the notes will sound out of tune whenever you fret a note. It could also be that you're pressing hard enough to bend the string between the frets, putting them out of tune. I've seen this happen alot with people who go down a string gauge.
Acoustics:
1994 Seagull SM6
2007 Takamine G5013SVFT

Electrics:
2008 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top (Cherryburst)
1964 Gibson Melody Maker D (DC)

Amps:
Traynor YGL-1

Pedals
MXR Distortion III (C4 Modded)
Is it possible that you have it tuned to the wrong octave? Check the comparative tuning and it will be instantly apparent.
i would if i could but i have no idea how to!!
im going to the shop i brought it from tomorrow to see if they can tell me something maybe.
i was also wondering if i could maybe put light strings on all exept the g string and put a medium gage on instead? would that work ??
thanks again
luckily i went to the guitar shop and the dude said that it was a case of crappy strings.. so yeah, and he was right i changed them and it sounds perfect