Budget: Nothing definite as of yet, but it is nothing too extravagant (~$500?) .

Genre: Hard rock/metal. I like both Mark Tremonti's and Anthony Armstrong's (RED) tone. Cleans are important, but they don't have to be pristine,

Either new or used, it really doesn't matter.

I play at home, little to no gigging.

Orlando, Winter Park, or West Palm.

My Gear: LTD EC-200qm, Digitech Hardwire TL-2, Vox AD3VT-XL
If it's just home use, Marshall MG series or anything cheap made by peavey are good bets. Personally I don't like MGs, but this is just what I've been recommended. I'd go for a cheap peavey!
i would avoid mg's strictly for reliability issues. for $500 you can get a tub amp with a master. you really dont even need to spend that much but i would go for a tube amp. im not too familiar with your tone at all but off the top of my head would recommend something like that blackstar 5watt head or something of the sort. im sure there will be a ton of recommendations from people more knowledgeable in that area.

to recap: get a tube powered amp

EDIT:
SOMETHING LIKE THIS
http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/blackstar-ht-series-ht-5h-5w-tube-guitar-amp-head
http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/blackstar-venue-series-htv-112-80w-1x12-guitar-speaker-cabinet

if you get a head just get a 1x12 rather then the 1x10 that they sell. it really doesnt matter what speaker or cab you have just get a 1x12!
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Last edited by thejester at Jun 9, 2011,
I would recommend something in the Blackstar HT series. I believe they have a 20 watt combo.

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/blackstar-venue-series-ht-studio-20-20w-tube-guitar-combo-amp

You can probably grab a used one right in your price range. It has great distorted tones, its compact, quite enough for bedroom practice yet loud enough for small gigs if you ever get there. Its all tube as well. I really liked the amps when I tried them out.
Quote by Tyler.Allain
I would recommend something in the Blackstar HT series. I believe they have a 20 watt combo.

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/blackstar-venue-series-ht-studio-20-20w-tube-guitar-combo-amp

. It has great distorted tones, its compact, quite enough for bedroom practice yet loud enough for small gigs if you ever get there. Its all tube as well. I really liked the amps when I tried them out.

20watts is loud enough for any gig, ever. i think that might be giant overkill but check them out TS
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

You could also wait for the JCA 22 to be released.. it should be able to do your tones easily.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by thejester
20watts is loud enough for any gig, ever. i think that might be giant overkill but check them out TS

Assuming you don't need clean headroom and like power tube distortion it is
Quote by thejester

That is not true at all...
Quote by Tyler.Allain
Assuming you don't need clean headroom and like power tube distortion it is

i will semi agree. only time you ever need more than 20watts if you are a jazz player and you are not being mic'd.

Quote by phoenix_crush
That is not true at all...

ok so explain. you playing outdoor festivals and not running stuff through a pa? 100watt amps are a day of the past. cream is a good example of why you needed 100watt amps, and they even modded theirs to 200watts. why? because back in the mid 60's PA systems were just for vocals and could not handle guitar amps. They had to fill royal albert hall with their amps:

today:
clapton 40watt amp about 5/10 on volume
stones: same as clapton
ac/dc: jtm45 (30 watts)

i dont want to take over this thread (which i already have, sorry TS) but if you are playing a venue that big, you will be running it through the pa, a 20watt head will do you fine.

back to the TS, 20 watts is overkill for a dorm

I have played really, really loud house shows and my 50 watt head through a 2x12 could barely keep up. If there was another guitarist in my band I would have been screwed.
Quote by thejester
i will semi agree. only time you ever need more than 20watts if you are a jazz player and you are not being mic'd.

Or if you play crazy heavy metal and rely on preamp distortion and not power amp distortion. This thread is going way off track though.
I have done a little more research and was thinking about the bugera 333xl combo for $700. It is out of my price range, but I like the sound and it has some cool features.