I'm thinking about changing from 9-42's to 10-46's. How will this effect tone? Or will it not effect tone at all?
Well, thicker strings get better tone, though going from 9's to 10's won't make a massive, massive difference.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
I switched from 9-42 to 10-46 set recently, I think it is much better!
Misha

Music Man Axis Super Sport
Diezel Einstein 100, Sparrow's Sons 2X12
I normally play with 10-46 but my new strat came equipped with 9-42. I'll apply new strings of the former gauge in the next few weeks.

My Website

Sometimes I make people spurt:
Quote by nimrod_hahahaha
sigged for making me spurt guiness on my laptop...damn you!

Quote by imdeth

Jimmy that was pure awesomeness. WIN!
does switching guages mean you have to adjust action/truss rod?

i'm a newbie and just got my first guitar, and just using the strings that are on it stock and would like to try out different strings but i just blew $45 getting a professional setup so i don't want to do that again.
Quote by Tycho Brahe
does switching guages mean you have to adjust action/truss rod?

i'm a newbie and just got my first guitar, and just using the strings that are on it stock and would like to try out different strings but i just blew $45 getting a professional setup so i don't want to do that again.

It depends on how tight it is. Switching gauges shouldn't affect the truss rod but will probably cause your tremolo to rise, if your guitar has one.

My Website

Sometimes I make people spurt:
Quote by nimrod_hahahaha
sigged for making me spurt guiness on my laptop...damn you!

Quote by imdeth

Jimmy that was pure awesomeness. WIN!
Thicker strings will sound less bright, harder to bend, harder on your fingers. As to the sound difference being better or not, that's up to your ears and only your ears.
Thicker strings aren't 'better', they're different. Due to the thickness and the tension, they'll sound 'thicker', which means it won't vibrate as much, the fundamental will be enhanced and there will be less overtones.

It's up to you. I personally hate that sound, so I go as light as possible.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Heavier strings will be higher tension. Your tone is going to sound a lot more solid and tight. Lighter strings will give a tone that is looser and ballsier, but also give you more vibrato ability during leads.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
From such a small jump in gauge there won't be much of a difference, if any at all. They'll feel different, in that thicker strings require more tension and hence will be different to play, but the difference won't be massive.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
^ they're right about the sound. Put on the .10s, see if you like how they play, if so leave them on.

Then you might want to go to the guitar store just to ask at the desk if anything should be done to the neck because of the .10s. They will take a look, probably say 'no' but maybe they will twist the truss rod free of charge.
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
i will make a slight difference. really, your going to feel it in your finger when playing, bending, etc. your will notice it if you drop tune as well. yeah 1 guage will make a change.

2 will make quite a change. 3 or more guages is basically transforming your tone. going to 12s or 13s also requires some heavy adjustment of your guitar for that immense tension.
They get stiffer, which I like. You also don't have to bend as far as you used to, but bending get's a bit harder. Also, depending on how low it is now, you might run into buzz on the wound strings. I put on a set of 9's the other day and felt like I would break them.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
You have more twang, a tighter low end, and more noticeable harmonics in the sound (I mean the harmonics of the normal vibrations, not the kind you play intentionally.