(both are head versions)

i play mostly metal but with some progressive elements aswell
what does everyone think

open to new suggestions

my budget is about £750

i live in Cardiff, Wales, UK
Last edited by funkyadhesive at Jun 10, 2011,
blackmore
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
400$ difference
less than a third of the screamers cost :O
where do you live?
I absolutely loved the Screamer when I played it, came with a mojo that marshall's just don't match, for me.
What shop did you look for it at? Some UK stores charge a bit much for Engl, is why I'm asking. A Blackmore's only 300€ or so more than a Screamer, and worth every penny. Used ones go for 7-800€ btw.
yeah you can get blackmores for like a few hundred quid less then a new screamer if you hunt around.
marshall is a bad brand IMO

ENGL's ALL THE WAY!!!
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
vs threads aren't allowed...
Gear:
Marshall haze40
Yamaha GA15
Line 6 pod GX
Ibanez PGM301
Yamaha self customized EG012
Jackson KVX10
Boss DS1
GE 7
BD2
CS3
Vox satchurator
Home made TS808
Belcat delay
Quote by funkyadhesive
belive me mate, i'd kill my own mother for a blackmore, no way i could afford a blackmore

oh wow... i assume you're joking

have you checked the prices on e.g. thomann? just in case they're a bit cheaper than the UK...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
oh wow... i assume you're joking

have you checked the prices on e.g. thomann? just in case they're a bit cheaper than the UK...

the difference is 200€ on that ;p

i lolled really hard!!!
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
yeah i mean 200 euro really isn't that much (unless you're already stretching, of course) if you're looking at the head versions. add in the cab price and that 200 euro is going to be a very small percentage of the overall cost. False economy, basically, unless, as I said, you're already struggling to afford the screamer. but if that's the case maybe even just consider the screamer combo...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the Engl is more to my taste, but they both have strong points.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The Screamer does everything the Thunder does, and then some. Screamers get heavier. Thunders are pretty dry, while you can dial in a Screamer to be dry or not. Thunders have a nice modern rock distortion, but suck for bluesy overdrive, Screamers do it just fine. Both have nice cleans. A Thunder is not a bad amp, but a Screamer is plain better.

I wouldn't know which to choose between a DSL50 and a Screamer, both are nice imo. I'd pick either over a Thunder though.
If you want the screamer get one, if you fancy the blackmore and you are patient enough to save up, go for it.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Well i'm going to throw my 2 x 1 pence in - I have played the Blackmore and it is a monster and honestly it is quite surprising how versatile it is!

The DSL is one of the finer Marshall amps out there but I wouldn't go as far as to say the Marshall brand is overall poor. Yeah a few bogies but there are plenty of those by other brands. Anyway the DSL is a solid pick.

I haven't had any experience with the screamer however, again, being an Engl you are on to a winner IMO. However - I remember hearing somewhere that a couple of the Engl models don't cut through the mix in band / gig situations. For the life of me I can't remember if it was Screamer or Powerball or Fireball....someone here will know and if i'm talking out my ass on that last point then please feel free to put a steel toe cap shoe firmly up my anus!

Anyway I'm sure either would be good so I guess it's down to your personal preference.

(If it were me - I'd prob go for the Engl)
Quote by funkyadhesive
i'd kill my own mother for a blackmore

PM me. I can hook you up.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
If you are playing the screamer through the V60's in the standard engl cabs then you will have a hard time cutting through the mix but played through a V30 it should be fine.

i personally liked the screamer better then the DSL but they are pretty differently voiced amps. both are nice but if cleans important then the engl wins hands down.
Quote by Shinozoku
Quote by funkyadhesive
i'd kill my own mother for a blackmore
PM me. I can hook you up.

turns out, i might end up waiting for the mini EVH 5150iii to come out, that one seems ideal for me