Over the past few days i've been learning the Not Ready to Die solo by Avenged Sevenfold.

I was just playing and i picked up my camera and decided i'd record myself doing a sort of warm up because it's about 5degrees and my hands were ****ing cold haha. This was the first thing that came out and i was really pleased.
The main reason i learnt this solo was for the legato between 0:44-0:54 in my video.
I realise my playing in general isn't all that flash, and doesn't sound like the solo, but what's the point in copying a solo exactly? I like to add my own sort of flavour to things.

Any >constructive< critisism would be appreciated (i know timing is an issue but i tried to add the backing track as well as i could) but particularly on my legato because i've always considered myself to be very poor at it.

Thank you for your time.

Link Below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvDfggYYFVc

PS: Does anybody have any recommendations on a good amp to get a sharp and eery sound similar Synyster Gates. I absolutely adore his tone and i have no idea what amp / amp settings he uses to achieve his sound. Right now i'm using a Vox VT30 which i've had for quite some time. I can't get a nice lead sound for my style of playing and i'm looking at getting something around the 1 to 1.5grand mark sometime in the future.

PPS: A response from Stevenseagull would be amazing cos i just love that guy hahaha :P
Last edited by vayne92 at Jun 9, 2011,
I never really found i had any tension problems except when playing very difficult pieces. When i first began guitar i had massive tension problems. I suppose with tremolo picking too you could accuse me of being tense, yet my technique with tremolo picking i find varies. Sometimes i'm relaxed, other times i tense up. I don't know if it's nerves or what, but i do get nervous when recording myself?
Use your wrist, not elbow, when you are picking. It will take time to get used to but it will help in the long run.
You're anchoring horribly - you really need to wean yourself off the habit of planting your pinky on the guitar body for reference, particularly if you aim to play faster stuff. It's restricting your movements and contributing to the excess tension in your arm - all those things together can lead to physiological problems with your arm and hand further down the line.

So:

Stop anchoring
Play with less tension
Stop using your elbow and pick from the wrist - that tensing up of your arm to spazz it at the strings for the tremolo parts is just about the worst thing you can be doing.

[EDIT] I never even saw my name in the first post o_O
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
You're anchoring horribly - you really need to wean yourself off the habit of planting your pinky on the guitar body for reference, particularly if you aim to play faster stuff.

tell that to Petrucci see what he says or Batio
Ps: Use your chorus/ compressor effect and 'tap set' it so fast the chorus isnt really heard.
Or figure out how to cut the chorus completely out. Idk how.
Syn plays through a compressor like all the time.

Usually use the cali metal model and mess with it a bit.
Quote by marlet

Both of them have shit picking technique. I'd say it to their faces. Tension is bad, regardless of who does it. There are players who get similar speed and cleanliness without tension - it's unnecessary. Also, doesn't MAB have carpal tunnel or tendinitis? And I'm pretty sure Petrucci has tendinitis, also, though I'm not too sure about that one.
Quote by marlet

try asking the same question to Steve Morse

There's millions of people out there who smoke, drink, and aren't dead...doesn't change the FACT that cigarette smoke gives you cancer and alchohol destroys your liver.

Likewise the fact that anchoring puts excessive strain on your hand and can potentially cripple your hand in the future is just that, a fact.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

well now that's just absurd , there is such thing as bad technique ill i agree with you
on that , but to say petrucci and all those other players have wrong technique don't cut it .

there playing ability is way above what most people want to achieve, so they must have
something right .

not to mention they have stated they don't have injures because of there proper hand positioning .
Oh they've got a lot of things right, but they've got things wrong as well - there's a reason the majority of speedy guitarist's don't anchor.

The thing with anchoring is, if you started playing 30 or 40 years ago then you only way you'd discover the problems it can cause is when it was too late. Nowadays we're much better educated and that kind of information is much easier to find.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
try asking the same question to Steve Morse

see Steve Morse anchors just like Vai & Petrucci

Marlet,

Steve Morse has severe carpal tunnel .... that's the point.

Steve Vai does not anchor.

And MAB and Petrucci are FAR MORE likely to develop a repetitive motion injury than a guitarist who does not anchor ... this does not mean that they will develop an RMI, they are more likely.

In the meantime, you do not know the difference between "there" and "their" ... I'd just stop now before embarrassing myself further.
Quote by Geldin
... Also, doesn't MAB have carpal tunnel or tendinitis?

If he does -- that is the least of his worries -- his meth habit will kill him first. (or his mullet ... whichever)

To the OP:

You kids are all sooooo impressed with technique --- oooooh, fast this and fast that.

What about music???

Vai is a musician ... and has technical chops. But a lot of these speed demons are so unmusical it is almost amusing, to me.

Legato means "tied-together"

You are talking about a particular guitar technique using a musical term that is MUCH broader.

Also -- you need to listen .. you are way out of tune at points ...
you need not be so defensive , you can tell when people get upset
they like to find a misspelled word or improper use in a post of the person
they are mad at .

if i need any spelling advice or proper use of English words i will ask you for it other wise keep it to yourself we are dealing with different country's here if you have not noticed.

so " just stop now before you embarrass yourself further "

and yes Vai does do the same thing just watch some of his vid's on Youtube .

but im sure you wont take the time to do that , and then i would have to do the work for you
as usual .

if its bad technique or not or if it makes your hand drop off i don't care , its obviously not that bad if fast players new and old "anchor" "their" hand most people are not going to reach
that level anyway or care to .
Yes, it is that bad, just because you're personally ignorant of the problems it can cause doesn't mean they don't exist...

...in case you were wondering, this is one of those times where you learn something
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Anchoring is a show of bad technique. There are plenty of people who smoke 40 a day for 40 years who die of non-smoking related consequences, that doesn't mean that smoking isn't bad for you.
On a similar note, drinking a pint of beer a night won't kill you. It is moderation. Anchoring in moderation probably won't hurt you much either, but if you do it all the time, everytime you pick up a guitar, it probably will.
Last edited by TrueBlues at Jun 9, 2011,
were is freepower at i think he did a big research on this a long time ago on all
the fast players .
Last edited by 951 at Jun 9, 2011,
I agree with the bad technique part, but other than that your bends and vibrato were out of tune, and I thought your guitar tone was really sharp and harsh, maybe a little less treble?
Quote by zincabopataurio
I agree with the bad technique part, but other than that your bends and vibrato were out of tune, and I thought your guitar tone was really sharp and harsh, maybe a little less treble?

Well there's some advice on my amp i can work with. Thanks for that. And for most of the bends, i was actually trying to create a sort of tremolo sound because i don't have a whammy bar, but i'll work on that.
I think it probably could've helped if i tuned my guitar before recording this also.
Regardless though, thanks for the critisism.
Quote by Geldin
Both of them have shit picking technique. I'd say it to their faces. Tension is bad, regardless of who does it. There are players who get similar speed and cleanliness without tension - it's unnecessary. Also, doesn't MAB have carpal tunnel or tendinitis? And I'm pretty sure Petrucci has tendinitis, also, though I'm not too sure about that one.

Oh come on, the argument about anchoring being so horrible for technique is old hat. When it comes down to it, if it helps you play better, it helps you play better. Some people just find the feel of anchoring to the guitar and alternate picking more natural and easy to execute in a relaxed way than floating right hand technique. While on the other hand, there's many players, like myself when I used to play guitar, who find anchoring to feel awkward and to be a detriment to picking technique.

You have amazing alternate pickers that come from both the floating and the anchored schools of picking technique. Some of today's best alternate pickers, including Guthrie Govan, Rusty Cooley, Michael Angelo Batio, Takayoshi Ohmura, Kelly Simonz and Michael Romeo anchor. With GG and MAB mentioned, I think you should know that Guthrie Govan, one of the best guitarists around right now, said that Michael Angelo Batio's right hand technique is "the holy grail of efficiency" (paraphrase) in his book, Creative Guitar. I think that what Guthrie Govan has to say about anchoring should be taken with more weight than the anti-anchoring majority opinion of Ultimate-Guitar. The man is more knowledgeable on guitar technique than most of us will ever be.
Last edited by Faded Grey at Jun 9, 2011,
I wouldnt worry what much about your picking, everyone will pick differently and develop their own style.. your left hand however...
1) Curve your fingers and keep them close to the fretboard
2) Do not put your thumb over the fretboard while youre not bending ( i know hendrix does)
3) Do not lift your pinky in the air and do not tense it , curve it. ( i know , i know steve vai does)

Have fun
I thought it sounded fine, technique-wise, but the amp tone wasn't so good. I'm working on my right hand technique and I'm curious about anchoring. My pinky touches the guitar too, but it doesn't press down on it, the back of it sort of curls under the strings as I ascend to higher pitched strings. It doesn't press down on the body or use it as a pivot point, its more like it brushes against the body as a sort of reference feeling--positionally, you know? Is this anchoring, or is it only anchoring if you are literally using the reference point to pivot/support your wrist when you increase picking speed?
Quote by afrika18
I thought it sounded fine, technique-wise, but the amp tone wasn't so good. I'm working on my right hand technique and I'm curious about anchoring. My pinky touches the guitar too, but it doesn't press down on it, the back of it sort of curls under the strings as I ascend to higher pitched strings. It doesn't press down on the body or use it as a pivot point, its more like it brushes against the body as a sort of reference feeling--positionally, you know? Is this anchoring, or is it only anchoring if you are literally using the reference point to pivot/support your wrist when you increase picking speed?

I think i know what you're describing (a picture would confirm it though), and to me it sounds like anchoring.

Also, i know my tone is awful. If i could afford a new amp my god i would buy one right away. I've played around with the settings so much and i just can't get anything better to my ears.
Soon i'm hoping to get a job, and the first thing i'll be buying is a new and expensive amp.