Page 1 of 2
Hey... Im between a strat or a tele MIM
I wanted to know which of these two fits my styles, I play manily garage rock, classic rock and some blues...
You need to give us more info than that. Any specific artists?
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
mostly the strokes, arctic monkeys, white stripes, kings of leon, radiohead, oasis

and some... beatles, rolling stones, the who, jimi hendrix
Last edited by boyad at Jun 9, 2011,
Myself I would go with a Tele, but to be honest either will work. At the moment teles are massively popular with indie bands, but a few years ago the same could be said of strats.

A strat is probably more versatile, and you'll be able to do more with it, but a tele has a much more interesting sound.. imo..
uuuh I think a tele is much more versatile cause it can be really bassy, and also very trebly.
The tone knob has a bigger range. But yes the pickup thing is a little problem...
BUT I personally got the Blackout tele which has 3 pickups (check it out its only like $70 more or something)
Good luck andCheers
I know that a tele has more of a "vintage" sound (if that makes any sense), the strat... from what I've heard, has a "balanced sound"

Im sorry... whats the difference between the std tele and the blackout? apart from the fact that has 1 more pickup than any other normal tele...
Quote by boyad
whats the difference between the std tele and the blackout? ... 1 more pickup than any other normal tele...

Answered your own question. And it only comes in Black.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by boyad
I know that a tele has more of a "vintage" sound (if that makes any sense), the strat... from what I've heard, has a "balanced sound"

Im sorry... whats the difference between the std tele and the blackout? apart from the fact that has 1 more pickup than any other normal tele...

Not a very big difference but you can kinda create the bit fatter humbucker sound (with the 5way switch in 2 or 4) so it can do what a strat can, only the pickups on the tele are quite clean.....
Quote by Headphonehead
uuuh I think a tele is much more versatile cause it can be really bassy, and also very trebly.
The tone knob has a bigger range. But yes the pickup thing is a little problem...
BUT I personally got the Blackout tele which has 3 pickups (check it out its only like $70 more or something)
Good luck andCheers

I didn't understand which was the problem with tele pickups?

so strats are more versatile than teles, I heard somewhere that a strat could at some point sound like a tele, but a tele would never sound like a strat....
Here's what you do.

Go to a guitar store. Pick up a Stratocaster and play it for a while. Set it down. Pick up a Telecaster and play it for a while. Set it down. Think about which one you liked better, if unsure, repeat the process until you are. Buy the one you like better. Post a NGD thread on UG with pictures.

Seriously, either guitar will hit your styles. You've just gotta find the one that 'feels right.'
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
i personally would go with an HSS strat but that's probably just me

a blackout tele would work too
Besides the lame yet necessary answer of, "go play both and see for yourself" I think either would fit the bill here. The Tele may have a brighter sound to it, but really with the amp settings and pickups, both can sound pretty much the same. Go for what feels right in your hands and which you prefer the look of.
well from what I've been hearing on youtube Im prefering the sound of the strat and the look of the tele haha (obviously I will try both in a store)
Try to play the Nashville Tele as well to see how that compares.

that one looks really good, is it made in mexico too? the only difference between the std and this one is that it has one more pickup?
I'm with the Tele on this one, get the new telebration series to, they'll be worth plenty in a couple years
I like shotguns. thats all you need to know
Quote by JustRooster
Here's what you do.

Go to a guitar store. Pick up a Stratocaster and play it for a while. Set it down. Pick up a Telecaster and play it for a while. Set it down. Think about which one you liked better, if unsure, repeat the process until you are. Buy the one you like better. Post a NGD thread on UG with pictures.

Seriously, either guitar will hit your styles. You've just gotta find the one that 'feels right.'

This. I got a strat, love it, and now I'm saving to buy a cheap used Tele I can set up for what I want because I realized I like the feel of Tele's.

They're both great guitars, they'll both work for what you want, you just need to play a few of each and figure out which one YOU like.
Gear:
Fender Classic Series 50's Strat
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Looks like Harry Potter about to fly an old biplane. A lady killer, but the ladies cannot figure out which state he's from - Indiana, or Pennsylvania?
Owns the under 5'2" hotties.
yeah... I am thinking about getting the guitar that I like
thats why Im thinking which guitar to buy...
My friend plays a tele and plays all of that stuff. He has a strat too, but seems to play the tele more. I would recommend the tele.
Quote by boyad
yeah... I am thinking about getting the guitar that I like
thats why Im thinking which guitar to buy...

yeah but you're really going to have to play both. They feel different, and nobody here can tell you what you like. Everyone is different in that respect.
Gear:
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Looks like Harry Potter about to fly an old biplane. A lady killer, but the ladies cannot figure out which state he's from - Indiana, or Pennsylvania?
Quote by JTBach
yeah but you're really going to have to play both. They feel different, and nobody here can tell you what you like. Everyone is different in that respect.

Either one of those will fit your genres very well. It's just down to personal preference in this case. Hit a store and play both of them, and decide from that.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
it really just depends on which sound you like better. they can both do the job equally well, they will just sound different. I personally like the sound and look of the telecaster.
My god!!!! I wonder if half of the people who post on this site even play guitar????

IF this is your first guitar, YOU NEED a HSS strat. When you are first getting into guitar you do not know exactly what you want your sound to be, you may have an idea, but that can change quickly as you begin to play and listen to different things. YOU MUST HAVE AN HSS as your first guitar because they are by the most versitile guitars out there. You have humbuckers, you single coils. You have a huge variaty of sound.

If this is not your first guitar you should have a better idea of what you want your sound to be. Do you like the twang of the singles on clean, do you like the cruch of hums on dirty?

To the jerk that said teles have a versatile sound???? Bassy???? seriously???? have you ever even played one? Unless it is modified standard teles have an extreamly thin sound to them. Not saying they are bad guitars, but their is no versatility to them at all. however, there are about a thousand different versions of the tele, so maybe one with hums may be "bassy"

If you even had to ask, you need to get an hss strat.

ps... telecasters have a great unique tone.... but they look totally hideous. Not that looks should matter, guitars are all about sound. Just saying, IDK how anyone could say teles look good. they are quite possibly the ugliest looking guitar out there. But they do sound awesome!!
Last edited by jsspang at Jun 9, 2011,
Quote by jsspang
My god!!!! I wonder if half of the people who post on this site even play guitar????

IF this is your first guitar, YOU NEED a HSS strat. When you are first getting into guitar you do not know exactly what you want your sound to be, you may have an idea, but that can change quickly as you begin to play and listen to different things. YOU MUST HAVE AN HSS as your first guitar because they are by the most versitile guitars out there. You have humbuckers, you single coils. You have a huge variaty of sound.

If this is not your first guitar you should have a better idea of what you want your sound to be. Do you like the twang of the singles on clean, do you like the cruch of hums on dirty?

To the jerk that said teles have a versatile sound???? Bassy???? seriously???? have you ever even played one? Unless it is modified standard teles have an extreamly thin sound to them. Not saying they are bad guitars, but their is no versatility to them at all. however, there are about a thousand different versions of the tele, so maybe one with hums may be "bassy"

If you even had to ask, you need to get an hss strat.

ps... telecasters have a great unique tone.... but they look totally hideous. Not that looks should matter, guitars are all about sound. Just saying, IDK how anyone could say teles look good. they are quite possibly the ugliest looking guitar out there. But they do sound awesome!!

This entire post is based solely on the opinion of someone who can't spell "variety" or "extremely". Do you play guitar good sir? I'm telling you right now that nobody NEEDS an HSS STRAT OMG!!!!111

A telecaster is extremely versatile and so is a regular strat. For the kinds of music this individual likes I wouldn't say an HSS strat is necessary at all. Telecasters can play anything from country to rock and roll or they wouldn't be used in so many genres. You just honestly don't have any clue what you're talking about. And how they look is subjective. I find both Telecasters and Strats to be beautiful instruments.

Single coils don't just play clean and a Tele can do far more than twang. You're either a troll or just severely misinformed.
Gear:
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Quote by JTBach
This entire post is based solely on the opinion of someone who can't spell "variety" or "extremely". Do you play guitar good sir? I'm telling you right now that nobody NEEDS an HSS STRAT OMG!!!!111

A telecaster is extremely versatile and so is a regular strat. For the kinds of music this individual likes I wouldn't say an HSS strat is necessary at all. Telecasters can play anything from country to rock and roll or they wouldn't be used in so many genres. You just honestly don't have any clue what you're talking about. And how they look is subjective. I find both Telecasters and Strats to be beautiful instruments.

Single coils don't just play clean and a Tele can do far more than twang. You're either a troll or just severely misinformed.

I think you are either a troll or severly misinformed. Funny you can point out my spelling errors, yet apparently you cannot see that I said IF this is your FIRST guitar you need an hss. every beginner should have the option of both hums and singles until they clearly define their tone.

name some "rock and roll artitst" that play a tele that IS NOT modified as their main axe.

You are the one misinformed or apparently too concerned about correcting my spelling because I wasnt saying singles can ONLY play clean and teles can ONLY twang. But any person playing guitar for more then a week knows that hums offer more crunch then singles, and singles are far superior for cleans.
Quote by jsspang
I think you are either a troll or severly misinformed. Funny you can point out my spelling errors, yet apparently you cannot see that I said IF this is your FIRST guitar you need an hss. every beginner should have the option of both hums and singles until they clearly define their tone.

name some "rock and roll artitst" that play a tele that IS NOT modified as their main axe.

You are the one misinformed or apparently too concerned about correcting my spelling because I wasnt saying singles can ONLY play clean and teles can ONLY twang. But any person playing guitar for more then a week knows that hums offer more crunch then singles, and singles are far superior for cleans.

A new player does not need both humbuckers and single coils. I'm not saying he shouldn't play a guitar with humbuckers to see if he likes them better, but there's not need for both. At all. A person can know what they want to sound like because - this might seem revolutionary - they know what they like to listen to! There is no reason both a tele and a strat can't play the kind of music the OP has stated they like. Hums CAN offer a DIFFERENT sort of crunch than single coils, but single coils can deal fine with the amount of gain we're discussing here. Not to mention, lower end humbuckers tend to sound muddy as all heck.

Have you ever even played a telecaster? because in your previous post you stated they aren't versatile, and that makes you sound more than a little silly.
Gear:
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Quote by JTBach
A new player does not need both humbuckers and single coils. I'm not saying he shouldn't play a guitar with humbuckers to see if he likes them better, but there's not need for both. At all. A person can know what they want to sound like because - this might seem revolutionary - they know what they like to listen to! There is no reason both a tele and a strat can't play the kind of music the OP has stated they like. Hums CAN offer a DIFFERENT sort of crunch than single coils, but single coils can deal fine with the amount of gain we're discussing here. Not to mention, lower end humbuckers tend to sound muddy as all heck.

Have you ever even played a telecaster? because in your previous post you stated they aren't versatile, and that makes you sound more than a little silly.

Actually I have played a few telecasters in my local shop. Never owned one. And both were extremely thin. they are not "bassy" as one poster said. they do not have a wide variety of sounds. Like I said, there are about 1000 different styles of teles. So you can choose one to fit any style. But i was refering to standard teles, because correct me of I am wrong, but that was what the original post refered to.

and yes a beginner DOES need both single and hums. you can not tell me when you got your first guitar and began taking lessons you played, for instance, metal and only metal the rest of your life. No, you played metal, classic rock, alternative, funk. I am not saying you dont know what you like, but if you are picking up a guitar for the first time you would be stupid to limit yourself by buying a guitar with only hums. and while yes singles can produce a nice distortion, like you yourself said a hum produces a different dirty. Just learning, why would you limit yourself??
Quote by jsspang
Actually I have played a few telecasters in my local shop. Never owned one. And both were extremely thin. they are not "bassy" as one poster said. they do not have a wide variety of sounds. Like I said, there are about 1000 different styles of teles. So you can choose one to fit any style. But i was refering to standard teles, because correct me of I am wrong, but that was what the original post refered to.

Well I don't know any professional bands that use Mexican Fenders, no, nor do I know any bands that really use ANY instruments from that price range unmodded. However, here is a short list of just a few artists who have used the Telecaster or the Esquire in rock history:
Pete Townshend
David Gilmour
Syd Barrett
Joe Strummer
Bruce Springsteen
Alex Lifeson
Jimmy Page

I would recommend modding ANY guitar in the pricerange if you want the exact same sound as some famous band/musician. That being said, most all of the claims you've made have been just plain wrong. There are a thousand different styles of Tele, and a thousand different styles of HSS strat. Show me a famous musician that uses a stock mexican fender HSS strat. Exactly. If you're trying to ballpark the sound the standards will do just fine.

Not saying he shouldn't listen to/play an HSS strat as well, but if the Tele looks/feels better to him, it will work just as well. And no, Tele's aren't bassy by my ears, they're quite Trebly, and you do have to fight them a bit over it sometimes, but after you get the treble under control it can work wonderfully for leads.
Gear:
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Quote by JTBach
Well I don't know any professional bands that use Mexican Fenders, no, nor do I know any bands that really use ANY instruments from that price range unmodded. However, here is a short list of just a few artists who have used the Telecaster or the Esquire in rock history:
Pete Townshend
David Gilmour
Syd Barrett
Joe Strummer
Bruce Springsteen
Alex Lifeson
Jimmy Page

I would recommend modding ANY guitar in the pricerange if you want the exact same sound as some famous band/musician. That being said, most all of the claims you've made have been just plain wrong. There are a thousand different styles of Tele, and a thousand different styles of HSS strat. Show me a famous musician that uses a stock mexican fender HSS strat. Exactly. If you're trying to ballpark the sound the standards will do just fine.

Not saying he shouldn't listen to/play an HSS strat as well, but if the Tele looks/feels better to him, it will work just as well. And no, Tele's aren't bassy by my ears, they're quite Trebly, and you do have to fight them a bit over it sometimes, but after you get the treble under control it can work wonderfully for leads.

I never at any point said teles are not great guitars, but you are limited to minimal tones with them whether you want to admit or not.

I could add about 200 people to your pathetic list of artists who have used a tele at one point in time. But understand just about every artist you named uses a strat 99% of the time. No other words are needed.

Your lack of perspective is disgusting
Quote by jsspang
I never at any point said teles are not great guitars, but you are limited to minimal tones with them whether you want to admit or not.

I could add about 200 people to your pathetic list of artists who have used a tele at one point in time. But understand just about every artist you named uses a strat 99% of the time. No other words are needed.

Your lack of perspective is disgusting

I said a short list. You want more? google it. I'm not your research bitch. You don't have as many pickup options, because there are two vs three pickups, but IMO the tone knob on the tele is waaay more sensitive than on the strat. Call me what you want, but you'd be surprised how many bands did the vast amount of their recordings with a Telecaster. Adding a humbucker to the end of a strat does increase its versatility, but honestly for play music like the strokes and arctic monkeys, you don't need it.

The tonal range of the telecaster is nowhere NEAR as limited as you're making it out to be. My "lack of perspective" may be "disgusting" but your lack of understanding is just ridiculous. I'm sorry you disagree, but there is no reason that the ONLY guitar suitable to beginning musicians should be an HSS strat. If that statement were even remotely true, there wouldn't be the need to help people pick a first guitar, because there would be a sticky that said to just buy an HSS strat. You're wrong. I'm sorry, but you're just wrong.
Gear:
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Quote by JTBach
I said a short list. You want more? google it. I'm not your research bitch. You don't have as many pickup options, because there are two vs three pickups, but IMO the tone knob on the tele is waaay more sensitive than on the strat. Call me what you want, but you'd be surprised how many bands did the vast amount of their recordings with a Telecaster. Adding a humbucker to the end of a strat does increase its versatility, but honestly for play music like the strokes and arctic monkeys, you don't need it.

The tonal range of the telecaster is nowhere NEAR as limited as you're making it out to be. My "lack of perspective" may be "disgusting" but your lack of understanding is just ridiculous. I'm sorry you disagree, but there is no reason that the ONLY guitar suitable to beginning musicians should be an HSS strat. If that statement were even remotely true, there wouldn't be the need to help people pick a first guitar, because there would be a sticky that said to just buy an HSS strat. You're wrong. I'm sorry, but you're just wrong.

Yeah, I guess if you say I'm wrong I must be. haha.

You sit there yourself and say I am right that hss strats are more versatile then teles due to the hum alone. So I must not be all wrong. you AGREED with me that the tele is trebly, not bassy at all. but you just keep on spouting BS about how standard teles are these sonic masterpieces. You are clueless.

By the way, i do not even know anyone that likes the artic monkeys or the strokes. So do not assume everyone wants their tone.
you really should just try them out both and see which you like better
Quote by jsspang
Yeah, I guess if you say I'm wrong I must be. haha.

You sit there yourself and say I am right that hss strats are more versatile then teles due to the hum alone. So I must not be all wrong. but you just keep on spouting BS about how standard teles are these sonic masterpieces. You are clueless.

By the way, i do not even know anyone that likes the artic monkeys or the strokes. So do not assume everyone wants their tone.

The OP stated that those are the bands he listens to. Did you even read this thread? I said the humbucker makes them more versatile. A little bit. In some respects. For certain music. I never said they are sonic masterpieces, Teles aren't, but neither are HSS strats. They're just different.

You are apparently clueless as to the musical interests of the OP and the versatility of the Tele and the fact that one guitar is not perfect for everything (though there are a lot of things the HSS strat can do well, there are also a lot of things a Tele can do well). I'm done arguing with you. We've hijacked this thread and I'm not going to be a part of this "discussion" anymore. I think I've more than made my point. Please go back, read the list of bands the OP likes, look at the plethora of other people who recommended strats or tele's, assume that they're all just a stupid as me, and go on with your life.

EDIT: oh and as a response to that one paragraph earlier. You're right, I didn't just play metal or just play funk. I played just about everything, and I did it on a regular non-hss strat, and later on a tele, and now on a strat again. In a few months I might be picking up my first humbucker equipped guitar, but it won't be an HSS strat, it'll be a Tele I'm modding out. And no, I'm not modding it out because it NEEDS a humbucker, I'm doing it because I'll have the money and because it'll be an interesting project to give me a different sound I haven't tried yet. Funny, I've played guitar off an on for six years, consistantly for two, and I'm just now feeling the need for a humbucker.

NOW I'm done.
Gear:
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Last edited by JTBach at Jun 9, 2011,
Quote by JTBach
The OP stated that those are the bands he listens to. Did you even read this thread? I said the humbucker makes them more versatile. A little bit. In some respects. For certain music. I never said they are sonic masterpieces, Teles aren't, but neither are HSS strats. They're just different.

You are apparently clueless as to the musical interests of the OP and the versatility of the Tele and the fact that one guitar is not perfect for everything (though there are a lot of things the HSS strat can do well, there are also a lot of things a Tele can do well). I'm done arguing with you. We've hijacked this thread and I'm not going to be a part of this "discussion" anymore. I think I've more than made my point. Please go back, read the list of bands the OP likes, look at the plethora of other people who recommended strats or tele's, assume that they're all just a stupid as me, and go on with your life.

The OP stated he wants to buy a guitar. Who cares what music he likes. I like listening to Pantera, AIC, Rob Zombie on occasion. Am I gonna go out and buy a G&L, or dean?? Hell no. Just cause I enjoy listening to certain bands doesnt mean I am gonna go out and try to make my tone exactly like theirs.

I am an individual, I want my own tone.

IF he is a beginner HE SHOULD NOT LIMIT HIS TONE, which is exactly what he would be doing if he bought a tele. Why is that so hard for you to understand???

Maybe that is why music has been so lame the last 15+ years, cause all you young idiots comming up just want to emulate your favorite guitarist. No one is doing any original or comming up with something for themselves. They are just copying off of people from the past.

EDIT. I did not say every guitar player should play an hss. I said every BEGINNER... BEGINNER. BEGINNER. do you understand me now.. BEGINNER. IF you have been playing for years and know what you want your tone to be, play a tele, play an sg, play an RG. Play whatever you want. If you are just learning guitar DO NOT LIMIT YOUR TONE!!!!!!!! DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME NOW??? You are like talking to a brick wall. You do not comprehend anything cause you are too wrapped up in your own opinion.
Quote by jsspang
The OP stated he wants to buy a guitar. Who cares what music he likes. I like listening to Pantera, AIC, Rob Zombie on occasion. Am I gonna go out and buy a G&L, or dean?? Hell no. Just cause I enjoy listening to certain bands doesnt mean I am gonna go out and try to make my tone exactly like theirs.

I am an individual, I want my own tone.

IF he is a beginner HE SHOULD NOT LIMIT HIS TONE, which is exactly what he would be doing if he bought a tele. Why is that so hard for you to understand???

EDIT: I began on an acoustic, then I began again on a regular strat. Thats what I was telling you. Goodbye now.

Because a tele isn't limiting. You just don't get it. HSS strats are versatile, wonderful guitars, yes. But they are not the only option! That's what I'm trying to tell you. Telecasters might not have a humbucker, but there is a whole range of tones you can achieve with them that you can't get from an HSS strat! They're different and one is not inherently better than another. Thats all I'm saying.

OP: you really should just follow everyone's wonderful advice and just go try them for yourself. If you end up falling in love with an HSS strat buy it! if you're just not feeling it, buy something else! buy a tele or a non hss strat or, heck, buy a les paul if thats what you decide you like. The most important thing is just to listen to the guitars, play the guitars, and make an educated decision for yourself.

I apologize, Original Poster, for this silly argument I've participated in. I took the bait and let myself get angry and hijacked your thread and I shouldn't have done that. Just know that the majority opinion is generally the right one on UG, because this forum houses a really bright and experienced bunch (most of the time). Go get a guitar, make it work for you, and enjoy the experience of learning an instrument. I won't clutter this thread further.
Gear:
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Last edited by JTBach at Jun 9, 2011,
Jsspang you're an ass. Kindly stfu. TS I suggest checking out all the different models of both guitars, and pick the one that feels and sound best to you
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Page 1 of 2