Hey whatsup guys,
So after 5 years of guitar I've decided that it would be fun to get a bass to play around with, but i was wonderin if I should start out with a 4 or 5 string?
Thanks haha
Rock on or die

Guitarist 5 years, Had purpose in life 5 years

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
It's really up to you. There's no real disadvantage to 5 other than the narrower string spacing and wider neck but they don't make a big difference. If you feel like you'd use a 5 more then go for it.
Alright, so whats really the point of a 5 string, is it kind of like having a 7 string guitar or..?
Rock on or die

Guitarist 5 years, Had purpose in life 5 years

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
Well you get a few more low notes, but really the main advantage is having more notes available in each position, i.e. you have a greater range under your left hand without having to move it.
Quote by nirvanagrunge13
Alright, so whats really the point of a 5 string, is it kind of like having a 7 string guitar or..?

Pretty much exactly that. Except that since you play more of a supporting role on bass, it can be useful even if the song doesn't call for a 7-string guitar and isn't teh brootlz.

I'd recommend the 5. I don't think they're any harder to play, and they give you more options. If you like to noodle and play on your own, maybe even a 6. Not that useful in a band context, but fun on your own.
Quote by smb
It's really up to you. There's no real disadvantage to 5 other than the narrower string spacing and wider neck but they don't make a big difference. If you feel like you'd use a 5 more then go for it.

+1

Well said...

Just to tack on to your post... OP, the only real factor that matters in picking out an instrument is feel/tone. If it feel and sounds right, then it's the right one for you!

I would suggest going to your local music store, and play any and every bass they have in the shop. Pick out the bass with a neck profile that fits you the best
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Quote by nirvanagrunge13

You do get a broader range in term of tones, but most people get one for the efficeny of motion... some people preffer to work across the neck rather than up and down it. It really comes down to personal prefrence.
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
a couple of the reasons i love 5ers

1playing an e on the b string souds way better than open e (boomier, deeper0
2 if a song stays primarily on the first couple of frets its way easier to play it on the b higher up instead of hanging my arm way out at the end of the neck
3rarely will you have to change tuning.
4they are way cooler

the downside: 5 string p basses are hard to come by.
no sir away a papaya war is on
I started on 5, moved to 4 and then back to 5. I love my 5 string but I'd recommend starting with 4. To be honest I can't give you a good reason why but if I was starting again I would definitely start with 4 first.
I saygo with the 5. For all the reasons said above. Plus Ittl be a breeze if you ever play a 4 string after you get used to a 5