Hi Guys,
I just started playing guitar seriously (I'm a bass player of 15 years convert) because my band found another bassist (finally, I've been wanting to switch for a while) and I figured it would be fun to try.
My current guitars are a Gibson 2008 Les Paul Standard and a Fender Custom Shop '56 Stratocaster RI. I've been using my bandmate's Mesa/Boogie Mk IV most of the time we practice and play, but for my own personal practicing (which has been a lot lately) I'm using a Acoustic Image Contra series III (really a string bass amp) with a Boss ME-25 pedal to make it sound a little more guitar-y and add distortion and reverb etc. Anyway as you can probably imagine it's not the best set up, and I'd like to get a nice tube amp I can use to practice and for smaller gigs so I don't have to keep borrowing equipment.
One of my big concerns is space as I live in NYC and don't have a lot of room to store anything. Even most 2x12 combos are really too big for me to be able to use very well in my apt so optimally I'd like a small 1x12 combo. I also want something pretty versatile as our band plays a lot of stuff ranging from from 60s rock (think CCR) to punk rock (Green Day and Blink 182).
As of right now I've played with a few amps in stores and I thought the Egnater Rebel-30 1x12 combo seemed really perfect for me in terms of size, tonal range, and price, but I haven't played a ton of other stuff and am open to any suggestions. I also had never heard of Egnater before playing with them in the store, are they well known/reliable amps?
Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated!
We need an absolute limit on your budget.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
I'd say around $1800 is the absolute most, but I'd prefer to stay under $1500 if possible. I would love to get a Mesa Mk V but it's just too expensive right now (and too big physically). The Egnater was really appealing because it seemed soo cheap for what it was though, so definitely lower price is better.
The Bogner definitely looks intriguing, I'll have to try to find one to try out. The 1x12 is actually around $850-900, so basically the same as the Egnater Rebel-30. Does anyone have any recommendations between the two, or any reason the choose one over the other besides just trying them out?
Quote by funkyadhesive
have you looked at blackstar, the ht series is pretty versatile.

what's you're price range?

The Egnater is way better than Blackstar
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i've tried the bogner, its a pretty awesome amp, it can't quite handle most modern metal but its got a very full sound.
If you can wait just a bit, Bugera is puting out the Magician 1x12 combo and it is a mesa Mark series clone. @$750 new
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
aren't they like disgustingly unreliable? never tried one but ive heard some pretty bad stuff
Quote by funkyadhesive
aren't they like disgustingly unreliable? never tried one but ive heard some pretty bad stuff

Which brand? Bugera?
I've never heard of them either...
Is Egnater reliable? Bogner I've heard of before so I assume they have a pretty good reputation.
The egnater is reliable and the newer bugers are reliable also, I have had my 333 for almost 2 yrs with not one problem, and I use it 25+ hrs a week. You may even consider the Jet City Picovalve it is only like 5 watts , but sounds awesome dirty.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
speaking of jet city, try the jca20, not too pricey (at least not in the UK) nice sound

not sure if it come in a combo version though
Last edited by funkyadhesive at Jun 9, 2011,
You should look at the Egnater first and foremost for its versatility, reliability and the fact that its got the variable wattage scaling feature if you wanna get early break up in your apartment. I would definitely recommend the Rebel 30 as an amp you should consider. Plus the power tube blending is a unique feature.

Blackstar is also another great amp... something like the HT20 would be good. Altho Blackstar does get some flak around here because there're some SS components running amuck in the amp itself.

The Jet City JCA22 when it comes out would be quite a great option, but that said, note that JCA is a little rock oriented, so your clean channels might not be entirely sparkling clean.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Budda Superdrive 18 or 30. Still loud.

You could wait for the Jet City JCA22, though. Or you could go custom and get a Baron Snott Watt, great little amps. Or even more custom, you could get a CEC Amps Suckerpunch, 15 watts. The maker of CEC amps has an account on this forum, I dunno if he'll see your thread or not though.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by VenomSnake
The Bogner definitely looks intriguing, I'll have to try to find one to try out. The 1x12 is actually around $850-900, so basically the same as the Egnater Rebel-30. Does anyone have any recommendations between the two, or any reason the choose one over the other besides just trying them out?

Carvin V3 micro head and a 1x12 enclosure or the 1x12 combo.

Three channel very versatile it's got good cleans and even better high gain.

They're "on sale" right now

http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitaramps/v3microseries.php
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
http://ceriatone.com/productSubPages/HRPChupacabra50/Chupacabra50Main.htm
+
http://www.lopoline.com/catalog/item/4254823/6958833.htm in your choice color

The actual amp is awesome according to the clips I've heard. It's 1000 plus shipping which is a lot (around $200) but worth it considering all the amp you are getting. The cab is well built and gets good reviews and will sound fantastic paired up with the amp. This setup will cover all of the 60s tones you crave and with the hot-rodded plexi style, it can get the gain you need for anything you seem to play.
For that price hunt down a used Orange.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

I tried a few different Blackstar amps and I just didn't love them, so it seems like I'm probably gonna go with the Egnater. Does anyone have any last minute reasons *not* to get the Egnater. Just want to cover all my bases!
Just so you know the Variable Wattage feature of the Egnater is NOT an attenuator... it won't allow you to crank the crap outta the power tube.

Its effectively a power scaling feature... it will lower the headroom of the amp, allowing you to get earlier breakup.

Other than that... its a great amp. I don't think the Mesa is that much better in terms of size.

However, I had a quick reread of the thread... if you already have $1800 to stretch... why not save up just that addition $500 (I think) for the MkV... while the Rebel is a great amp... the MkV blows it away in terms of versatility
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I actually have a Bogner Alchemist and I can safely say it is heads and shoulders above practically any amp of similar price. The guy at the music store had tested it against a Kerry King signature marshall amp and the Bogner was louder despite the fact it had fewer watts. It sound wonderfully thick and is incredibly reliable to me. If I were to recommend any amplifier it would be the Bogner alchemist. As a side note, it also has a half power mode (which actually is only a minute drop in volume) which means that you can make the tubes last for longer when you're playing at home, of if you want a more brown sound

That's just my opinion though, and Bogner have recorded demos of all their amps on their website, so check though out first as well.