I'm building a guitar with the same body plan as the Dan McDonald Custom Guitar Brad Nowell of Sublime used. It's not going to be an exact replica (different staining/paint job), but I still want the basic body plan.

For the body:

He used Mahogany, but I'm gojng to use some maple I have laying around. So it doesn't weight too much I'm going to slim it down like the S series. I'm most likely going to use a ZR tremolo system (unlike Brad's guitar). A body outline would be nice, but I can just trace the photo where the guitars not blocked.

Pick-ups:

There's going to be a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and a Seymour Duncan Jazz in the neck. Would a DiMazio Red Velvet in the middle give me that nice reggae sound? What would?

For the neck:

Quote by allexperts.com
Neck: 22 fret maple strat neck with ebony fretboard. This is exactly the same as the neck on Brad's guitar!

I'm using a Fender maple neck with rosewood fretboard.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Sublime-614/brown-guitar-replica.htm

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/Options/BodyWoodOptions.aspx

I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Last edited by Robbin'TheHood at Jun 11, 2011,
IMO the original floyd is best. Check out websites for which wood you want to use. Fender necks are a lot fatter than a wizard. Though not like a les paul. http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/Options/BodyWoodOptions.aspx
http://www.warmoth.com/pages/CustomNeck.aspx

Scroll down to neck contours on the second one and click the more info button to see the outline it will compare the wizard and fender necks. Try them out in a store if you can and see which is better.
Looks like a slightly modded Strat style body to me

Or something like a G&L Rampage body style
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jun 9, 2011,
Quote by Robbgnarly
Looks like a slightly modded Strat style body to me

Or something like a G&L Rampage body style

Well this is what wikipedia says: "Body based on a mix of a 1960s Vox Hurricane and a G&L 100 guitar - Ebony Fretboard"

Has anyone heard of these: http://www.super-vee.com/ ?
Quote by space aids
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

It seems to have been slimmed down toward the edges like an Ibanez S... Here´s another image that kinda shows that too:

For some reason the bridge doesn't look quite like an OFR in this one, though.
Bump.
Quote by space aids
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

Quote by Robbin'TheHood
I'm building a guitar with the same body plan as the Dan McDonald Custom Guitar Brad Nowell of Sublime used. It's not going to be an exact replica (different staining/paint job), but I still want the basic body plan.

For the body:

So does anyone have a body template of this guitar? He used Mahogany. I have some maple laying around, should I use that or would it weight too much? I'm going to slim it down like the S series. I'm most likely going to use a ZR tremolo system (unlike Brad's guitar).

Pick-ups:

There's going to be a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge. Would a Seymour Duncan Jazz in the neck and a DiMazio Red Velvet in the middle give me that nice reggae sound?

For the neck:

Now, I'm not going to build my own neck. I've always played guitars with wizard necks on them. If I go with the Fender I will replace the nut with a locking one. If I go with a fender will I notice a difference from the feel of a Wizard neck? Would I be better off buying a custom neck? Where? Would anyone build me a neck? How much? Is there any other place to get a custom neck Besides: http://www.warmoth.com/pages/CustomNeck.aspx ?

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Sublime-614/brown-guitar-replica.htm

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/Options/BodyWoodOptions.aspx

There is a definite difference in the Wizard necks. As far as I know Fender has never made a neck that thin. However if you want it to look true to form I suggest you go with a Fender for the sake of the headstock.

For the pickups, I have no idea what he would have used. It doesn't really matter much if yours differs a bit. You'd never get "his" tone anyway. The Jazz is definitely the way to got for the neck. It's a great pickup and has been paired with the JB in countless guitars. Not too familiar with the middle pickup.

I have never seen those super vee bridges before but they look cool. Again, I'd go with what ever looks the most authentic.

When you order the neck just get it cut for a locking nut so you don't have to worry about it. I'm sure you could get a Wizard shape from a place like warmoth and it would still have a Fender style headstock.

Good luck!
Quote by inkandlead
There is a definite difference in the Wizard necks. As far as I know Fender has never made a neck that thin. However if you want it to look true to form I suggest you go with a Fender for the sake of the headstock.

When you order the neck just get it cut for a locking nut so you don't have to worry about it. I'm sure you could get a Wizard shape from a place like warmoth and it would still have a Fender style headstock.

Good luck!

Well, I found a Strat neck with the locking nut cut-out for 100 usd. The wizard neck with a Fender headstock from Warmoth costs about 240 usd. I like wizard necks, but are they really worth 140 bucks?
Quote by space aids
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

Last edited by Robbin'TheHood at Jun 11, 2011,
Quote by inkandlead
Ha. I don't think so!

That's what I'm thinking. I have really long fingers and some times it feels the wizard II on my S470 is too small anyway.
Quote by space aids
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

Last edited by Robbin'TheHood at Jun 12, 2011,
I measured my RG and my S series guitars. The widest part of the body measures about 12 inches.

Would the guitar be full sized if the length of the red line I drew in was 12in?

Quote by space aids
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

Last edited by Robbin'TheHood at Jun 12, 2011,
Now I'm thinking I'll measure the pick-ups and scale the picture up based on that. Yesterday, I put that photo into smart sketch and designed the guitar body around it, now I have to scale it up and print it out on my neighbor's giant printer.

Quote by LeviMan_2001
I think a better way to scale it would be to go off the distance from the 12th fret to the bridge saddles. it should be 12.75 inches.

I'll use your suggestion to check it.
Quote by space aids
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

Last edited by Robbin'TheHood at Jun 20, 2011,