As title says I have a Vox VT15 which I have enjoyed a lot for the last 9 months. I have started to notice, and then seen this verified on forums, that it doesn't go a great metal sound. The distorted amp models it simulates are a bit unclear and doesn't have much clarity or rip to it. Also any palm muting kind of deadens the sound too much (yeah, I know, I'm probably just pants at palm muting!)

Has anyone overcome this adding a good effects pedal or by some other means?

Thanks!

AshersUK

PS I play a Yamaha Pacifica 112 set to the humbucker pickup usually.
if palm muting deadens the sound you're propably being too harsh with it,

i have the 30watt version of this amp and i can get a great metal sound out of it.

what settings do you use, i might be able to help you out
if it's not gonna get a good metal sound, there's nothing you can really do with the amp itself to get a good one. the best option is to just buy a new amp that will do what you want it for.
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
Well, I twiddle the amp knob all over the place, trying to settle on something. The fairly high-gain amps like UK 90s, Cali metal are pretty good but the next two on the dial - the very high-gain amps (as I understand it) just start to sound fuzzy just when you want them to sound really meaty.

I probably shouldn't have mentioned the palm muting but I was trying a little Metallica and the palm muted power chords (E5, F5 etc) just sounded, well, a bit weak....
Quote by philipk
try palm muting closer to the bridge

Sure, I understand, I am doing it very close to the bridge. I don't think it's really the problem, the metal sound just aint that growly. Do you have a VT15 ?
no, but generally the futher your hand is from the bridge when palm muting, the notes sound more muted(or "dead")
Quote by AshersUK
Well, I twiddle the amp knob all over the place, trying to settle on something. The fairly high-gain amps like UK 90s, Cali metal are pretty good but the next two on the dial - the very high-gain amps (as I understand it) just start to sound fuzzy just when you want them to sound really meaty.

I probably shouldn't have mentioned the palm muting but I was trying a little Metallica and the palm muted power chords (E5, F5 etc) just sounded, well, a bit weak....

try these settings, they work fine for me

US 90's setting:
gain = 9

treble = 8.5

middle = 6

bass = 9

reverb = 4

also, have you tried messing around with the power soaker on the back of the amp? i have mine on about 40%
Yes, I tend to use the rear power knob as an overall volume control, keeping the top of the box Master volume knob at about 75%.

Not entirely sure where I have it, probably about 40% - louder than this incurrs the wrath of my girlfriend and the cat runs out the room.

I'll try the settings you suggest. I take it you run the amp in Manual mode?
ok, but when you saved to a Bank number, did you start in Manual mode, or on a Pre-Set ?
Quote by AshersUK
Yes, I tend to use the rear power knob as an overall volume control, keeping the top of the box Master volume knob at about 75%.

Not entirely sure where I have it, probably about 40% - louder than this incurrs the wrath of my girlfriend and the cat runs out the room.

I'll try the settings you suggest. I take it you run the amp in Manual mode?

try lowering the master volume and raising/lowering the power knob more than you normally would