what are your preferred techniques? or just other things youve tried and noticed? you can be specific down to what mic, what placement, what effects used for the recording vs. digital effects applied. anythings open really, just looking to get some new ideas for when i begin my tracks on the album were doing this summer.

what ive done in the past is taking a direct line out for what i call a "stickier" sound (think early theory of a deadman albums) or various angles of an SM58 about 8 inches from one of my amp speakers
Personally I prefer the sound of a good EQed direct input through an amp+cab simulator over micing really any amp. I take the input send it to another channel, mute the clean channel from the monitor. Find a nice sound to go with the rest of the instrumental on amp sim (nothing to technical). Record that baby clean. Punch-in anything I don't like the first time through. Throw the recorded sounds all on one channel (per guitar). Load up the TSE 808 + (Whatever amp sim I think will work best) + Impulse + Compression. EQing my amp sim. Add in some of the 808 if needed (delete it from effects loop if not). Load up a Parametric EQ to get the guitar to sit better in the mix. Pan 100% Left.

Repeat process but Pan 100% Right.

Obviously if there are effects I add those in, but I rarely effect guitar if its distorted, but I def have VSTs for each effect (and multiple for each usually).

When ever a mic an amp (usually only for other people, but have miced Marshalls, Mesa-Boogie, and Peavy amps) it seems to take me forever to find the right spot and never feels like its the same position. I usually find that I can't control the EQ as well as I can on a clean direct input (obviously), so I never really mic anymore (unless its acoustic). I use to use a SM57.
Last edited by FireHawk at Jun 9, 2011,
I mic up an amp/cab 90% of the time provided I have a good amp and guitar to deal with.

I normally position the amp in a dead room. Then start by placing a '57 on axis to the left of the speaker about 6 - 12 inches away. I will then spend around half an hour (if I have the time) moving the mic around and tweaking the EQ until I find the right sound.
I own an 11Rack which deals with all my guitar sounds. I have tried mic'ing my amp but due to where I live I can't turn her up and therefore she always sounds so weak.
I like a little bit of reverb on my guitars but never to the point where you can really hear it. I also copy + paste perfect take a lot. A studio production should be a product rather than a live performance imo, and therefore should be perfect. I know a lot of people feel different, but meh.
I use Amplitube 3 to record guitar and bass at home. I go from guitar to pod xt (so i can use a physical wah if required) to a DI box then into an mbox 2.... most people would say that I should skip the xt due to changing from analog to digital to analog too many times but for some reason it actually sounds better with the xt in the chain even when just doing a straight bypass of all effects. Most people also think the cabs in amplitube suck... but I have found a good setting with them and I cant get impulses to sound right. It's really up to your own ears at the end of the day and whether pissing off neighbours actually matters to you
Guitar -> Tube Pre -> Compressor -> Mbox -> Pod Farm -> EFX
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
I practice through an Epi Valve Jr, so as not to horrify the other animals I live with (dog, cats, child, wife, you know). However, if nobody important is in the house, I go guitar (single neck humbucker on a hollow-body) -> wah -> chorus -> flange -> Blues Screamer -> homebrew pedal supposed to copy the MXR Distortion II -> EQ -> Fender Twin Reverb. A long time ago, I swapped out the 12AT7 for a 12AX7 as the reverb tube, so I keep the reverb pretty low, but the powerful sound of it is super tasty.

In terms of the effects chain, I really only tend to use the wah and the homebrew - it's actually a really awesome pedal.

peace
Quote by Bloodrocuted666
I use Amplitube 3 to record guitar and bass at home. I go from guitar to pod xt (so i can use a physical wah if required) to a DI box then into an mbox 2.... most people would say that I should skip the xt due to changing from analog to digital to analog too many times but for some reason it actually sounds better with the xt in the chain even when just doing a straight bypass of all effects. Most people also think the cabs in amplitube suck... but I have found a good setting with them and I cant get impulses to sound right. It's really up to your own ears at the end of the day and whether pissing off neighbours actually matters to you

If your Mbox has S/PDIF in, then use the S/PDIF on your POD instead, and you'll avoid that extra D/A-A/D stage.
I've home recorded electric guitar both micing amps and with modelling devices directly into an audio interphase. Either way I edit and add effects with the Cubase program.

I like a miced amp better but modellers are getting better every day and much easier to use.

When I mic, as I posted in another thread here, I prefer a mic at a 90 degree angle about halfway between the cone and the edge of one speaker as close as I can to it, to avoid ambient sound, because I don't have a good sounding enough room in my house to make capturing room sound worth it.

The guitar usually has a 7-band EQ and noise gate in front of the amp and depending on the music style, an overdrive pedal. the EQ allows me to minimize the amount of tone shaping I do in post, although I always do a little as I edit anyway. I never completely rework the EQ though after the fact. The noise suppressor is invaluable and really improves the noiselessness of my recordings. I also try to separate my power cords from the audio ones to reduce noise. The EQ and gate I run through the FX loop and the distortion pedal, if I use it, in front of the amp. I've tried daisy chaining everything but it's much muddier.

In post I usually always add reverb using a Lexicon Pantheon plugin, which is great but very overpowering, so I reduce the level of the effect to about 1/3 or less. While recording I cut off the amp's reverb since I use the Lexicon one in post.

For modulating effects, I add in always in post with plugins. I've tried using a chorus pedal during the actual recording but for some reason it never really is noticeable. Weird. Maybe somebody could explain that to me.

Sometimes I add compression in post, but not often.

That's about it. I hope this is useful to someone.