Okay, does the 'shape' of the guitar contribute to the sound? What I mean, if its a big guitar, like an explorer, will it have a fuller sound than a strat or les paul shape? What about V's...? I always thought an explorer would have a really heavy bass tone to it. Just curious
yeah a bit
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It's very subtle, much subtler than most people seem to think, but yes. The big things: smaller body is a little brighter, larger body is bassier. Larger body = more sustain. So an Explorer is a tiny bit bassier and has a tiny bit more sustain than, say, a Flying V.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Not hugely, but hollowbody/solid body does.

in a large scale, you're not gonna get much sound out of this:

you'd get much more out of this

not so much the shape but the mass. as in a heavy les paul will sustain better than a lighter guitar. but in the case of an acoustic, a large dreadnaught will sound fuller than a folk body.
Sort of, all I really know is that mid-range is somehow affected by the wood behind the bridge, because of the anecdote that EVH cut a big V in the back of an Ibanez Destroyer and completely ruined the tone.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
gtfo

how many high end pedals, pickups and amps are dedicated to recreating your tone?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by larson8er
yes.

That's not what I said, and I prefer not to be misquoted. I didn't said EVH had a bad tone, I didn't say anything like that. I said that he basically destroyed one of his favorite guitars because he cut a big wedge out of the back of it. Those were his words in an interview from a few years back. It was his "Shark" guitar that I was talking about.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
What about a lets say a Les Paul and Explorer? What if the wood mass, the wood material, pickups etc. was the same except the shape was different? Would they sound the same or different?
Yeah well about the Shark guitar IMHO it was more likely the fact that cutting that chunk out of it probably compromised the stability of the body, rather than that the missing wood actually significantly affected the sound. That said, I think there is something to the theory that more wood might produce slightly more sustain, but I think that the electronics, hardware, and materials contribute far more than body shape or size.
Quote by godisasniper
Yeah well about the Shark guitar IMHO it was more likely the fact that cutting that chunk out of it probably compromised the stability of the body, rather than that the missing wood actually significantly affected the sound. That said, I think there is something to the theory that more wood might produce slightly more sustain, but I think that the electronics, hardware, and materials contribute far more than body shape or size.

The wood itself will probably impact a guitar's sound more than the shape of the guitar.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
It's not so much shape, but the density and weight of the wood. I have a Washburn bass made of basswood, weighs about 8 pounds. Also, I used to have an old Fender Precision made of Swamp Ash which weighed a whopping 15. The heavier P-Bass had a much thicker sound. Also, my Dean V Electric guitar has a less dense sound than my LTD F-series, and the dean has a much bigger body. Hope this little advice helped.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
It does have some impact on tone, however little, but it's really hard to quantify. All things relating to tone are hard to quantify.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by kangaxxter
Sort of, all I really know is that mid-range is somehow affected by the wood behind the bridge, because of the anecdote that EVH cut a big V in the back of an Ibanez Destroyer and completely ruined the tone.

That's not the only stupid thing EVH ever did to a guitar.

The funny part is some people are willing to pay stupid amounts of money for an exact duplicate of the "Frankenstrat" including the disconnected neck pickup and reflectors on the back....

:

Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
It depends on the volume of the guitar shape, the more volume (as in physical volume, not sound), the more wood, which affects the sound. The shape itself does nothing though.
Quote by godisasniper

Given Eddie himself said it was because of tone instead of stability, as well as the fact guitars like the Xiphos exist, I think it was tone, not stability.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54