Sounds like it's a n00bish question I know but... bear with me.

I have this mate who's a pro session guitarist, he reckons it's primarily used for extending the length of the note. I would have said I use vibrato to sound like an emotional bastard on the axe and almost try to get the guitar to sound like vocals. I get the impression from what he was saying to play a note and instantly start vibrato-ing it is wrong. This guy is AMAZING on the guitar so most things he teaches me I take has gospel. He's brought my playing on a long way.

I don't think there is any right or wrong answers but would be interested in what you guys think?

I think a big part of it is what music you play as well. I would say there is less emotion in metal than there is in blues. It's a talent if you can portray true emotion in shreding. Pantera - Floods would be a good example. Cemetery Gates... another emotion filled shred fest.

Anyway, what would you say your PRIMARY use of vibrato is?
my ass

oh wait... vibrato ?

nevermind...
Quote by Thrill-house
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.

Quote by Dopemgs

P.S: You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome

Quote by PsiGuy60
PS. To Conor:
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.
[/desperateattempttogetsigged]
Phrasing, tuning, note extension, expression.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I only use vibrato when there's a specific purpose to it. For instance, when I want a particular part of a phrase to sound emotional. I don't just use vibrato because I can.
To make the note sound more interesting. A sustained note with no vibrato sounds pretty boring IMO.
Usually to make a sustained note not sound boring
Rock on or die

Guitarist 5 years, Had purpose in life 5 years

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
Quote by robhc
To make the note sound more interesting. A sustained note with no vibrato sounds pretty boring IMO.

Pretty much this.
I have no sig
I use it to accentuate and sustain notes.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
It makes long notes more interesting rather than a drone.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
It sounbds better, with more feeling and I sometimes use it to produce an artificial harmonic-esque sound. I also use extreme vibrato to "ruin" the songs and bother my friends lol

There's

NEVER

enough

GAIN

Emotion in a solo and...

Quote by robhc

this, but usually only if I've got a distorted sounding. Usually whenever I'm playing through the clean channel I've got at least a little delay going so things are still a bit interesting
My rig: ESP Eclipse II --> bulk amount of pedals --> Orange Rockerverb 50w
Quote by BladeSlinger
Phrasing, tuning, note extension, expression.

Best answer.
Check out my band Disturbed
to make notes sound amazing
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
To impart more of your personality to your guitar playing, I'd say. Your vibrato can be as unique as the rest of your playing.
Quote by Nelsean
The world needs more buttmonkeys.

Quote by Eddie4President
The Buttmonkey for best username, most intelligent posts of 21st century.
Quote by StewieSwan
Good. The world needs more of you.
Quote by Portuguese_boy
How the **** didn't anyone say whammy without a whammy bar yet?

Because that's bending, not vibrato.
It's for a lot of things. I must say, if you want to sound more vocal and you lay on the vibrato immediately, you might be doingitwrong.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by PanamaJack666
I would say there is less emotion in metal than there is in blues. It's a talent if you can portray true emotion in shreding.

Oh my god, that guy is slightly modulating the frequency of that sustained note! The emotion is overwhelming. I hate that people think that vibrato automatically makes your playing more "soulful." It's just another technique, what matters is how you apply it. It's a talent if you can portray true emotion in ANY style; vibrato gets used as a crutch just as much if not more than sweeping or shredding. "Oh hey, I want this to sound emotional, I'll throw in some vibrato, that'll do it."
Flute players

The most emotional wind players.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Gerard_xD
Just makes it sound better

this, most of the time I don't realise I'm doing it, because I do it kind of subconsciously (well as subconsciously as you can play guitar).
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Even though people can play well, don't take their word on everything. Think for yourself, usually people who have been around have very strong opinions on things that maybe you don't agree with.

Also, if you are trying to make the guitar sound like a voice, let the note ring out, and then start shaking the vibrato more and more as the guitar "loses breath". Anyone who's been in a choir knows that that's exactly how it goes, and the slow vibrato is pretty tough stuff.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
I use it to avoid sounding like a robot. I heard myself playing on record for the very first time a few years ago, and I managed to repulse myself.
Ok, side to side vibrato or up and down?

I use a lot of side to side but if I want the really wide vibrato I'll go up and down. I think each has it's place.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls