after struggling with the many MANY amps out there i have it narrowed down to 2. The Mesa Boogie 5:50 express or the Peavey Classic 50/212. I think they are both good solid performers. The Mesa costs about $500 more. anyone own or played with either of these and want to share their opinion of them?
What genres? Max budget? Let's just say $1400 since one option is a 5:50 Express... FWIW I did not like the 5:25 I tried once. At all. You could do much better in that price range as far as I'm concerned.

If I had to choose one of those amps right now, and having never played a Peavey Classic, I would probably pick that knowing that I don't like the Express at all.
Mesa.

Not saying that the Peavy is bad, but it is hard to beat a Mesa.

Go back and try them both again - then buy the one you like best, regardless of price.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
I think the Peavey Classics are fantastic sounding amps, I'm not a big fan of the Mesa sound. Even if the prices were even I'd still pick the Peavey. Just my two cents.
Isn't the Mesa a little more versatile than the Peavey? I think the Classic is more suited to blues, rock, etc.
I've played both.

Didn't like the classic 50. I always felt the classic 30 was a better amp. That aside, I wouldn't pick either of the Peavey amps over the Mesa. Absolutely no contest. It sounds better and it's far far more versatile.

On top of that I had constant problems with my classic 30. So much so that they gave me a new one, which had constant problems, followed by another new one, which had constant problems. I wouldn't really score the Peaveys high on the reliability scale.
Quote by icronic
I've played both.

Didn't like the classic 50. I always felt the classic 30 was a better amp. That aside, I wouldn't pick either of the Peavey amps over the Mesa. Absolutely no contest. It sounds better and it's far far more versatile.

On top of that I had constant problems with my classic 30. So much so that they gave me a new one, which had constant problems, followed by another new one, which had constant problems. I wouldn't really score the Peaveys high on the reliability scale.

Peavey aren't known for being unreliable but they are certainly not as reliable as Mesa IMO

Im not a fan of the Classic 30, i just dont like the tonality of it. That being said the Express series isnt the best either but certainly a lot nicer than the Peavey. if you're going on new prices here i would forget anything new and just look for something like a Mesa Mark 3 or 4 combo. you can find those for like $800 these days
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.