alright, well i have no access to sprayers or anything, so looking around online i found you can use leather dye for wood, so i purchased some Fiebings black and green dye.
i started playing with diluting in denatured alcohol, which made it dry wayyy too fast, so i just used a bit of straight water after watching a few videos for tips.

i sanded down to 400 grit to start, which seemed pretty smooth, but of course water changes that quick...
so first i did a little green in water, and went over the whole board, rubbing with the grain (used a piece of t-shirt rolled inside another piece of t-shirt and rubber banded to a ball).
then i did black in some water, and started at the edge rubbing with the grain. and i tried slowly working my way in. i spent about an hour trying to work this burst out, and it just isnt working all that well.

first of all the grain makes it rough to work with... i tried rubbing with the grain, i tried circles, etc. i just cant get it quite right.
has anyone done this method successfully? heres some pictures of where i got it to, it really didnt capture the color well, the color is pretty full, it just looks dull in the photos.

Quote by xadioriderx
Fiebings black and green leather dye.
Seems to work fine on the wood, judging by your pic. I'll have to try that next time. I just googled it, and it's selling an assload cheaper than the overpriced stuff Stewmac sells which I have been using, and Stewmac was the only site I could find that sold colored dyes (not just different shades of brown). But I wasn't looking for leather dye

Thank you.

Unfortunately I've never tried a burst, so I can't really help you at all. :p
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
Last edited by DuctTapeNinja at Jun 9, 2011,
fieblings on ebay, super cheap, and super bright!
but the method is tough. i was reading both these for a semi-how-to:

http://www.bc-enterprises.com/guitars/finish.htm
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luthiers-corner/123003-hand-rubbed-stained-wood-burst.html

the first one is more of a full walk through im using for the guitar finish, the second i just found for more details on method for the burst part

i got a perfectly round applicator pad from what looks like a shoe polish kind of bottle. its about a 2 inch perfect circle. that seems to have helped on getting it even, the pics above were using some pretty shady homemade applicators.. lol
i think practice is a big part.. and getting a method down. i was doing it all in one shot, the webpage above indicated letting the first color dry, then doing the outer color, i could see how that would help from just smearing it all around
Last edited by xadioriderx at Jun 9, 2011,
dude! that actually looks really good! but if you did wait and do the black after the green dried i think you would have alot more control over the burst. but besides that i think it looks bad ass.
wellll i started the green, its drying now. im scared lol

it seems to be raising the glue from my bookmatch seam? =/ it wont be a big deal, i just dont know if the water is softening the glue? that wouldnt be very cool

on the actual guitar wood this green looks SUHWEEEETT!
heres a secret about those "tiger stripes" that dont look quite like tiger stripes... theyre saw marks from being bookmatched lol. they look kinda sweet i think. theyre on the back, not the front though.

heres the progress. green will be muchhh darker, but for now it looks pretty rad!

and one pic has the applicator i found that works great. and dont mind the ghetto hole for the jack =p

i dont like the "tiger stripes" as you put it lol. if it were my build, id sand them out for a completely smooth look. but its not my build :P

srsly though, that green looks super rad. ive always wanted to do a celtic style guitar with that dark green burst on it. will have to look into the leather dye cuz that looks awesome
well i suggest having a lot of wood around to practice on lol
its not the easiest to use. maybe its just me. im nervous for going after the burst tomorrow. i had a brief moment of temptation to just leave it all green =p