Hey I'm trying to set up a very cheap, easy, basic recording "studio" in my home. I dunno a thing about it, and I only have $550. I don't need the best quality, I just need to be able to put instruments together, and vocals, to put up somewhere or show people or put on a CD. What kind of stuff should I be looking at?
audacity and one of those mics from the game rockband that has the USB thingie on it works great

the recordings on my profile saucy surf and care care and western song all rockband mic and gets your point across audacity was free and the mic was 5 dollars from a used game store
Last edited by marshmellow666 at Jun 9, 2011,
You should look into a nice USB interface. Line6 TonePorts are good, and run around $150-$300 I believe. I have a TonePort UX1, and it works great! The tone you get from the amp sims isn't great, but you'll have enough money left over to invest in a nice microphone and cables. That will bypass the amp modeling. Check out Wet Sand on my profile. Recorded entirely by mic'ing my Tweaker with a AKG condenser mic running through my TonePort. Compare it to Always With Me, Always With You and Good Times Bad Times, which were both recorded using Line6 amp modeling software.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Quote by Jimmy_Page_Zep
You should look into a nice USB interface. Line6 TonePorts are good, and run around $150-$300 I believe. I have a TonePort UX1, and it works great! The tone you get from the amp sims isn't great, but you'll have enough money left over to invest in a nice microphone and cables. That will bypass the amp modeling. Check out Wet Sand on my profile. Recorded entirely by mic'ing my Tweaker with a AKG condenser mic running through my TonePort. Compare it to Always With Me, Always With You and Good Times Bad Times, which were both recorded using Line6 amp modeling software.

The TonePorts are the old models, the new models are now POD UXs.

Also the myth that you can't get as good of tone out of amp sims is horribly incorrect. There are many amps sims with impulses that sound great. Line6 doesn't have the best amp modeling software, although with impulses you can get some alright tones, assuming you avoid presets.
Last edited by FireHawk at Jun 9, 2011,
Quote by FireHawk
The TonePorts are the old models, the new models are now POD UXs.

Ah...my model says TonePort UX1. Thanks for the updated info!

Quote by FireHawk

Also the myth that you can't get as good of tone out of amp sims is horribly incorrect. There are many amps sims with impulses that sound great. Line6 doesn't have the best amp modeling software, although with impulses you can get some alright tones, assuming you avoid presets.

I agree with this completely. There are great amp sims available! What route TS goes really depends on his current gear, and how much of his $550 he's willing to spend on recording equipment. The microphone route can be quite pricey!!!
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.