I am obsessed with Flying V guitars! I absolutely love their design and I could never quite choose any other guitar over a Flying V. I had recently bought an Epiphone Jeff Waters Annihilation V and I loved it! However, my parents did not like the devil inlay on the 12th fret(We're Catholic xD), so I was forced to return it after finding out the inlay would be problematic to remove. I then used the store credit to order a Peavey 6505 Amp head and started selling my previous gear to make room for the new Peavey. I managed to save up enough money that my parents agreed to help me pay for a new Flying V that did not have a devil inlay. After searching Craigslist for a while, I found the most metal looking Flying V I have ever seen!

It just arrived through UPS today. (Click for big. Sorry for quality. I took these with my phone's camera)

It is a 1985 Gibson Flying V with a Kahler Flyer tremolo bridge and a metal pickguard, metal truss rod cover, and a metal cover for the electronics. It was a nightmare getting this guitar. The one who posted the ad on craigslist had it consigned to a local business in Michigan. I tried calling the store but for some reason the phone would just cut off after somebody picked up so I decided to try email instead. The customer service person only responded until I gave him the payment for the guitar. Then, strangely enough, they stopped replying. They did not tell me when it shipped, did not provide a tracking number, and did not respond to emails. I waited a week.... no guitar. Two weeks.... no guitar. I was starting to think I got robbed and was considering contacting paypal about it when finally, on the 3rd week, I received a tracking number and got the guitar the next day. The store had shipped it 2 weeks after they said it would ship... still it was worth it!

The guitar looks sick and sounds amazing! I was absolutely surprised at the quality of the sound compared to my other 3 newer Flying V's. Two are Epiphones and the other is a 2007 Gibson Faded V. The tremolo is quite awesome and is really smooth! It has the old 496R and 500T pickups! I am a bit saddened though that it does not have a locking nut which makes excessive use of the tremolo a nightmare on the tuning. It does have locking tuners though which do help. I believe the original guitars of this year all had a locking nut but the previous owner probably had it removed for whatever reason.

Also, the previous owner did not drill the holes in the pickguard to secure it to the body but oddly enough, the pickguard still sticks to it pretty well and only really comes off if you lift it up with both hands. There are holes in the body from a previous pickguard so I figure I will just drill in the exact spot from the previous pickguard. It also has an awesome pointy cap on the selector switch which just adds to its pretty brutal looking appearance. It plays like an absolute charm! I can safely say that even though it is NOT in pristine condition and looks pretty worn out, it still plays better than my other guitars and is probably the best guitar I have ever bought! In total, the guitar cost me $660 USD.

Now for pics. I will post a demo of it on youtube once my Peavey head arrives.

This was before I strung it and adjusted the tremolo bridge to my liking. (Click thumbnails for fullsize)

And.... this is after

Tada!

Here's a shot of the Kahler Flyer and the rest of the body. Notice the spiky selector switch! I love it

Here's another shot of the body

Here's the headstock. Remember, it is not in pristine condition but still plays great and sounds great! I plan on getting a new black matte paint job on it sooner or later, but for now I'm gonna keep it nice and worn.

Here is the back of the guitar with the metal back cover. The owner was nice enough to provide the original cover too in case I wanted to switch it back.

This thing is a true metal beast and has beautiful cleans as well. I cannot wait to play this through my Peavey!
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
Hmm...May 27th to May 20th? Either you meant 30th or you're some kind of time traveler.

Choose your steel. Be the hero or die the fool.
Just face me on this burning bridge and show me
which side you choose.

>>Listen to my metulz!<<
Last edited by xlRainlx at Jun 9, 2011,
That be a mini hard V.

But hellyeah, nice guitar. Loving the pickguard and color of the axe.

Would be more AMAZING with bigger pics. But still, HNGD!!!
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
That be a mini hard V.

But hellyeah, nice guitar. Loving the pickguard and color of the axe.

Would be more AMAZING with bigger pics. But still, HNGD!!!

Well you can click on the thumbnails to get fullsize xD

But thanks!
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
Hmm...May 27th to May 20th? Either you meant 30th or you're some kind of time traveler.

which side you choose.

>>Listen to my metulz!<<
I hated V's not too long ago, but for some reason now I love 'em. Nice axe dude!
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
Quote by xlRainlx
Well you can click on the thumbnails to get fullsize xD

But thanks!

Holy Crap!!!

These damn internets.

Looks awesome bud. Pictures are much better.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Wow. Thats pretty awesome.
For your sake I hope heaven & hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Guitar & skateboarding. Do what you want.
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
Holy Crap!!!

These damn internets.

Looks awesome bud. Pictures are much better.

Hahaha, I was just trying to save people from loading giant pics. It can be quite troublesome if they have slow internet.
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6

which side you choose.

>>Listen to my metulz!<<