Lately my epiphone lp 100 has been making a hissing sound only when strummed, I can hold it still, when it is plugged in and there is no sound. I have tried different amps and cables, and am sure it is the guitar. This is one of my early, cheap guitars, which is why I want to attempt to fix it myself. I've been meaning to learn more about guitar repair and I feel like this would be perfect situation, as long as it doesn't get too expensive, I don't want to buy new pickups. Any ideas where I should start while troubleshooting? It seems like it's something that has to do with the pickups. Who knows, maybe its something small and doesn't take much work at all, I still wanna try to figure some stuff out though. Any tips for doing something like this? I've never actually worked on a guitar before.
When you touch the strings, does the buzzing stop? If it does stop, you have bad grounding.
I had a PRS with a bad ground issue. It felt like it was going to kill me. Got a little buzz when the pickup were in humbucking mode. It was a consistant hiss. Like fingerboy said if you touch the metal on the guitar while playing it should complete the ground and lessen the buzz if it is a ground issue. I would touch the stop bar while strumming and see if anything changes. Also toggle the pickup selector to see if this changes anything.
Check your cavities and look for any loose, or poorly soldered wires. And fix them. That should be the problem. Also check your input jack. Very common problem on epis