So about a year and a half ago I bought myself a 5 string (Ibanez Soundgear SR485).
It's got active pups, 3 ban eq, 2 volume, and a tone knob. I got it for around $400 used, a little scratched up, but nothing big.

I was at guitar center getting my violin bass fixed up and noticed this guy (Ibanez Gio GSR206)

It's $299 new, I played it and it was great, played like mine and sounded great.

My band mostly plays blues and rock, but my keyboardist, my drummer and myself listen to a lot of progressive rock (Yes, Rush, etc...) and I was thinking a 6 string might be nice. I had no problem playing the one in shop and I figure it was pretty nice and cheap. Wasn't a fan of the knobs but that's an easy fix.

I was wondering what your oppinions would be on the trade. I'd be willing to pitch in a little extra money if it would be worth it.
Random off brand P Bass (Fretless)
SR 485 Sound gear 5 string bass
60's Crown violin bass
Rogue RA-100D Acoustic Guitar
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
Last edited by EBass at Jun 9, 2011,
I play guitar... but I actually would go for a six string bass myself! I think you should pay a bit more and get a better six string, idk about gio basses, but I don't like gio guitars.
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
If you feel like you would use all 6 strings and like the instrument, go for it.
All you need is yo' fingers and the strings
Quote by Fingerboy18
Maybe dish out a little more for a used SR506?

How much do they run used? It looks amazing, very classy. People are raving about the sound too. I think it might be a good idea just need to know the cost of a used one ($650 is too steep)

Quote by Robbin'TheHood
I play guitar... but I actually would go for a six string bass myself! I think you should pay a bit more and get a better six string, idk about gio basses, but I don't like gio guitars.

Well I'm already fluent with the 5 string and the only way I could get good with 6 strings is to try it. I know GEO is there extra cheap stuff but the cheapness is why I'm considering it.
60's Crown violin bass
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
Quote by EBass
How much do they run used? It looks amazing, very classy. People are raving about the sound too. I think it might be a good idea just need to know the cost of a used one ($650 is too steep)

SR's don't have the best resale value, so the middle-range 6-ers like the SR406 and SR506 are cheap as chips used. I see a lot of 506's float around the $400-ish range, sometimes for less then that.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
SR's don't have the best resale value, so the middle-range 6-ers like the SR406 and SR506 are cheap as chips used. I see a lot of 506's float around the $400-ish range, sometimes for less then that.

That actually sounds great, how hard are they to find? 6 strings arent entirely too common.
60's Crown violin bass
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
ok so you have a 5 string thats 400 used.... and your wondering if you should trade it for something thats 300 new...

Hell no. The fact its a 6 string doesnt change the fact you would trade a decent bass for a shitty bass. If you want a 6 string, save up for a decent one....
related question: what is the standard tuning of those supposed to be? is it like low B to high B, or a really low g to a high g, or e to e, or what?

edit: nevermind, looked it up. apparently it'd BEADGC
Last edited by olix95 at Jun 10, 2011,
Quote by EBass
That actually sounds great, how hard are they to find? 6 strings arent entirely too common.

I would venture to say that besides most Yamahas, the SR506 is probably one of the more prolific 6-strings.

I've used one quite a bit, and while personally it didn't fit my tastes, it's a pretty solid 6-string.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
ya man a 400 series for a 200 is quite the downgrade, your looking at cheaper everything basically. But that being said i tried to trade in my 07 stingray a while ago that i payed almost @K for and now its like $250 trade ins are not fair :P

But if you feel like youd get alot out of the extra string then go for it, the only thing i say is a disadvantage would be the huge neck width.

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Just wondering how much 6 string warrick rockbasses and Spector Legend6 go for in USA?
Im from aus so prices arnt really relevant
Quote by tofuhead
Just wondering how much 6 string warrick rockbasses and Spector Legend6 go for in USA?
Im from aus so prices arnt really relevant

A Spector Legend Classic 6 is $740 new here. AFAIK, there are only 4 and 5 string Rockbasses, no 6-ers.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Fair enough. My advice to Ebass is save, get either a decent 6 string ibanez or something like a spector legend6. Dont trade down your 5 string for it for a shittier sounding bass that just has 6 strings
The SR506 may be one of the most common 6 string basses on the market. I own one and it's not bad.
Find a yamaha Trb 1006 or if you can a MK II. Both are amazing bass's. One of the best 6 strings and easily out strip the ibanez's youve put up and have been suggested.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Hey guys, sorry for not getting back for a while.

I think I'm deffinitly going to make the change form 5 to 6 eventually but I'll just hold off untill I can afford something nice.

Thanks for the advice, I don't see how I was actually thinking of getting rid of my baby for that thing.
60's Crown violin bass
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
Good decision.

Can I just take a moment to +1 the SR506. I've got one, and it plays like an absolute dream, I don't even have to put in any effort. Sick bass

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

If you can save a bit and look real hard you may find a used a Ibanez BTB576 or a BTB676.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!