I’m off to college this fall so I need to rethink my rig a bit. It currently consists of a Blackstar HT-5 and a Peavey VTM60 through a Crate V18 that died and now serves as a 1x12. I also have a Line6 UX1. I have a few ideas on how to reduce volume/space but wanted your opinions + suggestions.

1. Bring just the HT-5 and get a better/smaller 1x12 to go with it. Use the UX1 or headphone jack on the Blackstar for silent jamming.

2. Get a DSP/preamp to run through my computer/headphones. With ~$500 to spend I could get a pod hd or an ENGL E530. I can technically afford an AxeFX, but sadly the need to feed myself takes priority over Toanz, and I’m not much of a tweaker anyway. I’ve heard the E530 doesn’t have too much gain, so that’s a bit of a concern.

3. Forget the amp all together and get a new interface and use free VSTs. The UX1 is technically fine, only the headphone jack is an issue, but I’d like something better.

Any other ideas/ thoughts? If I do get a new 1 or 2x12 I was thinking Avatar or Whitebox, any thoughts on that? Maybe I’m an idiot and these are all horrible ideas, I don’t know.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Go with number 1 there buddy. After two years of no rig/vst's and crappy little amps I can tell you that its worth pissing off your neighbors to have nice tone. Seriously, its a creative killer to have to suffer through bad tone. Keep your small tube setup and continue being happy.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
on a side note... what happened with the crate V18? if you are interested i may throw you a few bucks plus shipping for just the chassis of the amp (not the cabinet, just the metal chassis with the guts).

just a thought, let me know.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
on a side note... what happened with the crate V18? if you are interested i may throw you a few bucks plus shipping for just the chassis of the amp (not the cabinet, just the metal chassis with the guts).

just a thought, let me know.

The transformer fried, I assume it was a bad solder, whatever the cause though it wasn't worth it to fix. I ended up chucking the guts in the interest of lightening the cab. It was an awesome amp, for the 180 buck I spent on it it served me well.

It would appear option 1 is the best. Any suggestions on a 1x12 to go with the ht5?
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
1. You'll go crazy not playing with an actual amp. The headphone option will render you less susceptible to pranks like having dog excrement shoved in your pillow, plus you won't have to settle for something below what you're used to (as long as you're not using terrible headphones). Also, you could probably find somewhere on campus where you can jam a little and not bother anyone. I mean, who hangs out in the laundry room except for midnight onanists and drunken one-night stands?
I am a fake mountain.