So i am looking into telecasters, custom shop or USA, and I was wondering which models I should be looking at for that early Led Zeppelin (Jimmy Page) tone. Thanks!
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

He played a tele, just get a telecaster YOU like and you're close enough, you can't want to sound that much like jimmy page, and play it through a small watt tube amp.
Quote by askrere
He played a tele, just get a telecaster YOU like and you're close enough, you can't want to sound that much like jimmy page, and play it through a small watt tube amp.

jimmy had different pickups in his tele so finding out what those were would be important to getting the sound
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he actually played an Esquire.

The BBC sessions tele assuredly has a neck pickup. Could be something custom, though, who knows? At any rate, just about any tele will get the job done. Just go with the one that feels right in your hands.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy

You're thinking of Jeff Beck, Page played a regular (albeit, modified) Telecaster.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy

I'd have to back up this statement, to a point. Page used an esquire earlier and then started using a Tele a little latter on. The biggest diffrence is the neck pickup other than that it's up to you.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I'd have to back up this statement, to a point. Page used an esquire earlier and then started using a Tele a little latter on. The biggest diffrence is the neck pickup other than that it's up to you.

this is it and what i've read somewhere is that he used the telecaster with the '51 design i think it was.
when you select what normally is the neck position it instead switches to the neck position with the tone completely rolled off.
alright. I'll just go around the store and try a bunch. I am yet to find one that feels perfect in my hands though!
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

Quote by WholeLottaIzzy

actually the esquire was modded to have 2 pickups later but is the same guitar he had . if you check pix and vid from the early zep days you'll see that the neck pup isn't a stock tele pup but looks like it may be a strat pup instead. i believe other mods were done to it as well.
Quote by monwobobbo
i believe other mods were done to it as well.

The most important one, though, is setting the height on the bridge pickup really low. Page lowered his bridge pickup to get a darker, fatter tone. I don't think he actually used the neck pickup much.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
what you really need is a new amp
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by OliOsbourne
what you really need is a new amp

been done before... but i hope you aren't being serious... anyway's, i ended up getting a Gretsch today, but I've gotten so much new gear in the past 6 months i was thinking about doing a New Gear 6 months in a week or two.
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

For Jimmy Page, you don't go fender.
You go gibson!
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
Quote by Nimbus456
For Jimmy Page, you don't go fender.
You go gibson!

He's used both quite a lot actually. Early days as said, it was all a Fender Telecaster/ modded Esquire. He's even used strats a bit too.
A lot of guitarists use different guitars when recording, slash has used a strat on one of the velvet revolver songs iirc.

But yeah, early led zeppeliin was mainly a telecaster, look for an old dazed and confused live performance and thats what page plays. Dont know what pickups he uses, but would be worth looking an what amp he is also using if your really wanting to get something close. He did use marshall super leads, orange AD30, and im sure plenty more.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Quote by Snapple
A lot of guitarists use different guitars when recording, slash has used a strat on one of the velvet revolver songs iirc.

But yeah, early led zeppeliin was mainly a telecaster, look for an old dazed and confused live performance and thats what page plays. Dont know what pickups he uses, but would be worth looking an what amp he is also using if your really wanting to get something close. He did use marshall super leads, orange AD30, and im sure plenty more.

...or he uses very american voiced Supro Thunderbolts... cranked to the heavens! (for recording) anyway. I can get really good Page tones out of my les paul w/P90's. I want a thunderbolt so badly, just can't find a cheap one!
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

Quote by kracdown
been done before... but i hope you aren't being serious... anyway's, i ended up getting a Gretsch today, but I've gotten so much new gear in the past 6 months i was thinking about doing a New Gear 6 months in a week or two.

jk man
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by Snapple

I believe Sucker Train Blues from the Contraband album was recorded using 'Strats and Teles'.

I can't remember who but some famous guitarist said that when you're in a studio you can (within reason) make any guitar sound like whatever you want. Don't underestimate the power of studio jiggery pokery.

TS - from purely a guitar POV any 'normal' Tele you like will do the trick.