i have a audio in my profile of me ja,m,inmg. I want to get better i listen to
albert king
zz top
jimi
bb
classic rock in gen

i just wanna get better than what im doing. All i do is just go up and dow3n and i wanna improve and just in general get better. I NEED HELP anything will help. Also i solo fast worth a poop. Not like shred just quick moving around the fret board.
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
Learn the notes of the fretboard and the scale. Bam.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
the only way I know u would get better is to...dun dun dun...practice! Now I'm sure ur wondering, "what should I practice?" good question. Well I personally like using the pentatonic minor scale for blues stuff. So I suggest u learn the positions and practice going up and down the scale making sure u hit each not precisely. If u wanna get faster then start playing up and down the scale at a faster pace, but make sure u do this once ur comfortable with the fingering. When practicing to play fast, I dont really concentrate on being precise that much. Just try to play the fastest u can, master it, then work out the kinks (like being sloppy). I would also create licks using the scale and practice them (fast or slow depending on what kind of sound u want). Last thing, make sure u practice all of the positions of the scale and practice switching positions so that u wont be stuck in a box. Hope this helps
Learn 1 song from the list of artists you have mentioned
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Another tip would be to not solo for so long. It's a daunting task for people who know exactly what they want to accomplish. It's made much harder when you are making stuff up on the fly and don't have your licks down. If you take a combination of what previous posters have said, and apply that, your playing should improve quickly. You also said that you listen to B.B. King. He is the master of milking 1 note for all it is worth. I heard that in your playing, but you aren't giving it any emotion. Vibrato will go a long way to helping you achieve some more feeling in your compositions. Add some emotion, a general idea of where you would like the solo to go, and more comfort with the fretboard, and you will be turning out some good blues tunes in no time.
Learn intervals.

Then learn to sing those intervals.

Then, play a note on your guitar and sing the major 3rd of that note without playing it. Do that until you can do it fluently for most intervals.

This is how you play with feeling. Getting what is in your head, into your hands.

That's the "quick(er)" way of doing it. Even that, will take at least six months to a year to get good at it.

The much slower way, is to just keep playing. Everything will come to you naturally if you just keep playing. Playing your favourite artist's music loads will eventually make you play like them. If you played nothing but Hendrix, you're gunna find really easy to make up a Hendrix type riff/ rhythm on the spot.

Play songs that take about a week to nail. If it takes a day, then it's probably not gunna help you too much. But then again, you don't want to pick something that you won't be able to learn in a year.

I've been playing 3 and a half years, not as long as some people on here. I play classic rock mainly. I have a friend whose been playing the same sort of time. He plays mainly folk.
We tried writing some songs together and it was really interesting. Anything he came up with sounded really folky. That wasn't his intentions, it's just how he played. Everything I played had more of a hard rock feel to it. Because we've both been playing those styles since we started, that sort of playing is just in your hands.

What I'm getting at, is that you just need to practise the music you want to learn to play. You want to get better at blues solos? Play solos from B.B King, Clapton, Hendrix, Gary Moore, Stevie Ray Vaughn and all the other greats, and you'll eventually naturally play like them without trying to. It takes a lot of practise and time though. It's not gunna happen over night.

Hope you find some of that useful
Play along to blues jam tracks on Youtube.

Try to mix up the rhythms, ie use long notes, rests, quick triplets and all that jazz.
A blues solo is about the phrasing which is as much to do with the rhythm as it is about the notes. Try singing the phrase your about to play (at least the rhythm) before you play it. Learn the solos of the guitarists you listed in your post for ideas of great phrasing.

And just because you'll most likely be sticking to the minor pentatonic / blues scale (although dont be afraid to experiment with adding different notes, like the major third and even major sixth, once you are comfortable) that doesn't mean that you have to play all the notes in order - jump around within the scale.

Edit - Here's a wordier version of that I wrote in another thread;

Its all in the phrasing.

Well dont feel that just because you are going to stick to a scale that you need to go up and down it step by step. Jump around a bit, play different intervals and it might even sound good.
Explore different positions of the neck than the box shape that you are most comfortable in. Note choice is important and you could think of it more carefully than just 'E minor pentatonic/blues scale for 48 bars', looking into what chords are playing and trying to target chord tones.

Mess around with the rhythms your playing, just keeping it to eighth notes will become boring. Use rests, triplets, 16th notes and loooong notes - its all about how you phrase stuff and thats largely to do with rhythm. Try having a bit of musical call and response with yourself - play a two bar phrase and then try to come up with a similar phrase that compliments it, ie with the same rhythm but slightly different notes. This is where being able to hear a melody in your head and translate it to the guitar is important, and its a good way to practice it (especially fun if you call and response with another guitarist)

Dont be afraid to repeat yourself. If youve said something cool and you wanna reiterate it then use repetition to your hearts content. Some of the most memorable guitar solos use a simple three or four note lick repeated for several bars. However you gotta keep it engaging and thats where dynamics is important - how loud or soft you pick a note. Try playing a 12 bar solo starting a as softly as you can but gradually becoming as loud as you can.

As you mentioned (and I pointed out in my crit of your solo in another thread), theres nothing worse than someone who cant bend in tune, so you should really work on that. Vibrato is also paramount - being able to shake the sting in an appropriate way will make you sound professional. Be aware that there are different intensities of vibrato (fast/slow, wide/shallow bends) which may be appropriate at different points in a solo.

Combine all of those aspects to create the building and release of tension during a solo.

While were discussing phrasing, check out these awesome videos - Scott Henderson on Phrasing - http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjUyNTY3NzEy.html and Marty Friedman - http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...62536751428345#

Another EDIT-

Just read your username and realised that the wall of text I just quoted from another thread was from a thread you started 'bout a month ago! Now stop asking the same questions and practice dem blues...

Srsly though, youve probably read all the good advice that can be given from your threads and threads youve lurked in, you gotta follow that advice now. Go learn licks, analyse your favourite players and jam to songs/ backing tracks until you see some improvement.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Jun 10, 2011,
Why are there only two instances of the word "listen" on this page?

TS, people can talk to you about scales and playing other artist's material for years but unless you listen to what you are doing and the backing you are playing over you will never play anything worth a damn. I haven't listened to the material on your profile but I'm willing to bet that when you play you're not really listening or thinking, you're just playing. Don't do that. You need to be taking an active role in what you're doing and really thinking about what sound you want and how to achieve that and then playing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.