are you sure its fake? how so?

and isn't there a report button somewhere?

EDIT: in the top right corner
Quote by DisasterMatt
are you sure its fake? how so?

and isn't there a report button somewhere?

EDIT: in the top right corner

100% positive its a fake
Are you sure its a fake? I can't tell from those pics but it looks kind of legit.
From a thread asking if it is safe to tell someone the serial number on your amp:
Quote by JAHellraiser
omg dont do it! he can hack your amp get the b00tiful t00b t0anz
how so?

and it does kinda look like a fake... the knobs are incorrect i think... but don't be absolutely sure it is without more evidence than i've got
Quote by DisasterMatt
how so?

and it does kinda look like a fake... the knobs are incorrect i think... but don't be absolutely sure it is without more evidence than i've got

The knobs don't scream fake to me. All customs have speed knobs.
From a thread asking if it is safe to tell someone the serial number on your amp:
Quote by JAHellraiser
omg dont do it! he can hack your amp get the b00tiful t00b t0anz
meet with the seller and give them a piece of your mind.

then sit down and discuss ethics.

the flag ad icon you maroon.

edit: it could just be the odd angles the pics are taken from. why are you sure it's fake. what do you see?
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jun 10, 2011,
What looks so fake about it?
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Yep thats a fake. A very good fake though, it actually looks like it has a decent build quality. Those knobs are actually correct, I have those on my legit lp studio.

There's only one real give away, the truss rod cover is incorrect, it should be a full bell shape and shouldnt be flat and flush up against the nut.
It's fake, it has a rosewood fretboard, all true customs have ebony, but the chinese fakes cannot afford/import it.

The trc and headstock shape are off, the split-diamond is too small, the cut-away shape is slightyl wrong, the swtich tip shouldn't be black (yes I know you can change them)
Quote by sethp
its really not hard to tell this is a fake.
compare the headstock details of the craigslist ad with the headstock details in:
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Les-Paul-Custom.aspx

(btw, the one on GIBSON.com is genuine)

I'm sorry but they look exactly the same to me except for the one on the gibson website is a better picture.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
The use of "wattage" in the add makes me think that the guy, not the guitar, is fake.

The serial number will tell all...
Quote by funkbass369
I'm sorry but they look exactly the same to me except for the one on the gibson website is a better picture.

look at the truss rod cover.
Quote by funkbass369

They are not, I own a Gibson Les Paul Custom (got it yesterday actually ) and they do not look like each other. Check out my post and you'll see that the fretboard is the biggest giveaway. No true CS Gibson Les Paul Custom will have a rosewood fretboard and the block inlays. If it's rosewood then it's trapezoid inlays, only ebony have blocks.

I'm willing to bet that the tailpiece will have a flathead screwdriver slot aswell (Most fakes have metric posts as they are made in China, not the US)
Last edited by digman50 at Jun 10, 2011,
Quote by living dead kid
The use of "wattage" in the add makes me think that the guy, not the guitar, is fake.

Nah they fake them all the time, you can just copy them off guitar adverts on ebay. Why do you think so many people blur them out?
People get pretty heated in my local craigslist, Usually people post something like RE:FAKE A$$ LES PAUL then in the ad explain why its fake and a link to the original ad. But if your wrong, you'll feel like a douche if he needs to feed his kids and can't get rid of it.
Quote by askrere
People get pretty heated in my local craigslist, Usually people post something like RE:FAKE A$$ LES PAUL then in the ad explain why its fake and a link to the original ad. But if your wrong, you'll feel like a douche if he needs to feed his kids and can't get rid of it.

he's not wrong...
Quote by funkbass369

here are the dead give-aways:
1. Tuning machines
2. "Diamond" graphic
3. "Gibson" logo
4. the size of the "forehead" (ie the distance from the D and G tuning machines to the top of the headstock)

and those are just the glaring inconsistencies
what surprises me is that these chinese factories cant do any better of a job with their forged reporductions
Last edited by sethp at Jun 10, 2011,
Quote by living dead kid

yeah, "sounds great through a high wattage amp" should ring enough alarm bells anyway, even if it was legit (and i think it's pretty much obviously fake - there's no obvious things wrong with it, it just doesn't look quite right on the whole)

but let me show you how easy it is to copy a gibson serial number.

92345345. done. and that will be recognised as a legit serial number by all those sites that let you check serial numbers.

the serial number is not a bar code or anything like that. and it's very easy to copy the format of it, particularly with gibson whose serial number system is so well documented. if you're going to use the serial number to judge authenticity above anything else you're guaranteed to get ripped off somewhere down the line.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
I guess the fretboard is rosewood - fake
Misha

Music Man Axis Super Sport
Diezel Einstein 100, Sparrow's Sons 2X12
also, the speed knobs are correct. but its the placement of the knobs that is off. compare the placement of the knob that is closest to the stop-tail.
they're different.
the genuine LPC has the knob slightly behind the stop-tail
the fake has the knob directly bellow. its also a bit further away
Pickup rings? Two gold screws (real) vs All gold screws (fake).
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
The tuners should be equally spaced in two parallel lines. Notice how the two middle ones are closer together. The fretboard is an obvious give away though.
allright so it's fake, but it still looks like a good fake xD

report him. dont call him out, just report him
Quote by digman50
he's not wrong...

Oh I'm sure he's not, I'm just saying if it were ever any doubt, you'd feel bad.
It looks very real though. Like ^you^ said the diamond graphic is not proportional at all. Report him and/or steal the guitar and hang it in you room.
Without something to compare it to, I would probably believe it was real. But i'm an idiot so.....
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Diamond graphic isn't proportional, "Gibsun" logo, middle tuners are off, headstock is a bit too narrow.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Yeah the machine heads are different, different truss rod cover, and I noticed the pickup selector knob is a different color, it should be cream, not black.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
i bet the dude doesnt even know its fake lol.
"When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die"
Quote by Spartan101400
Wow, it's a decent looking fake though, I'd actually like to give it a go, but not for 1500 dollars

it looks fairly accurate, by counterfeit standards, but that doesn't mean it'll play or sound anything like a genuine les paul. it's probably made of chipboard or any other manufactured hardboard as opposed to real solid wood, for a start, which would give it all the tonal qualities of those £50 guitar starter packs you can buy in argos.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
if you click the "prohibited" icon in the top right of the page enough, it get's removed.

we do that on the chicago clist all the time. stuff like fakes last about 10 minutes before we have it removed.

the angle of the pics makes it hard to tell. looks like it could be rosewood. headstock looks odd. etc. i flagged the ad.

if enough of you do it, it get's deleted.
awww to bad the guy already took it off craigslist I really wanted to see it. I don't think I've ever seen a fake Custom Les Paul. I've owned my Custom Les Paul since 81' it was only 6 months old when I bought it. It was in perfect condition I paid $550 cash for it. The owner was my age and his dad worked for a Music Production Company. I still have the guitar I would never ever sell it. IMO they don't make them Custom Les Paul's like they used to. To this day I haven't played a guitar that is as easy to play as my 81' . I had to get a 2nd guitar in 98' because I played so much that Les Paul screwed my back up holding that thing every day. curious what a FAKE looks like.