I'm liking it. Kind of a britpop-ish feeling. Love the guitar sound. The drums work well enough, but the kick gets kinda' lost in the mix. Maybe eq it a bit and add some treble to make it stand out more, or just raise the volume on it. The vocals are good, as I said, I get a kind of britpop-ish vibe from them.

Regarding the songwriting, I like it the melody, but it does get kinda' repetitive. Works for the song, though. But, some kind of break would be nice, either in the form of a solo or a middle-eight.

Please C4C at
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450214
Quote by Nashag
I'm liking it. Kind of a britpop-ish feeling. Love the guitar sound. The drums work well enough, but the kick gets kinda' lost in the mix. Maybe eq it a bit and add some treble to make it stand out more, or just raise the volume on it. The vocals are good, as I said, I get a kind of britpop-ish vibe from them.

Regarding the songwriting, I like it the melody, but it does get kinda' repetitive. Works for the song, though. But, some kind of break would be nice, either in the form of a solo or a middle-eight.

Please C4C at
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450214

Hey man, thanks for the crit, it's really apperciated. It's the first time I've ever mixed drums. I know what you mean about the kick, this is around the 10th mix I've done and I'm still not 100% on the kick and snare.

I'll try what you said, if you have any advice/links/anything else in regards to mixing you'd like to share with me then I'll gladly take it, mixing in itself is fairly new to me aswell.

I've been listening to a lot of Beck (mainly the Midnite Vultures album) and did consider a horn breakdown, I might give it a go and see what happens

Again thanks for listening man, it's really appreciated.

PS - Can you tell I'm using a drum machine? (as in I programmed drums, it's not a real kit)
Quote by rocknrollstar

PS - Can you tell I'm using a drum machine? (as in I programmed drums, it's not a real kit)

In my (guitarist/singer/bassist/keyboardist) ears it could pass for real drums, albeit rather mechanical-sounding, but an actual drummer would probably be able to tell the difference immediately. For improvement, I'd suggest that you add more different fills, of different varieties beyond the standard "two quick hits on the snare". Generally, more variations make the drumming sound more "alive", I think.
Quote by Nashag
In my (guitarist/singer/bassist/keyboardist) ears it could pass for real drums, albeit rather mechanical-sounding, but an actual drummer would probably be able to tell the difference immediately. For improvement, I'd suggest that you add more different fills, of different varieties beyond the standard "two quick hits on the snare". Generally, more variations make the drumming sound more "alive", I think.

I get what you mean man, I've been up for ages re-doing some things and the mix.

Can I get your opinion on the new mix? It's on my profile "Flowers By Irene" (I deleted the old one.)