BASICLY my band plays protest the hero type stuff (kinda technical metal stuff)
and my shitty behringer isnt keeping up with my lead guitarist line 6 spide jam
(which is basicly a spider 3 75w) So i need to upgrade
i kinda narrowed it down to
-line 6 spider iv 75w
-Peavey vyper 75w
or (insert your suggestions here)

i also want some flexibility in the tone, awesome metal sounds a must
bbut for my personal playing style is lesser gain like hard rock, hardcore styles.
so haveing that option would be appreciated.

i have $400 to spend on it right now, but after i sell off my current gear ill have around $600 so any suggestions on what would be best for my situation,

i was originally looking at a peavey 6505 +112 combo at a store the other day
and the thing is SOO loud it might drown out my lead guitarist
(and possibly my band+i have no idea on how to overdrive the thing) and ive never used tubes before, so im kinda lost.
but im tired of getting shitty amps all the time,
i want one that i know will be around for awhile,
suggestions will be super helpful
the 6505+ 112 if you want the brootalz

the Peavey Vypyr if you want to have some amp model flexibility. Stretch $50 above your current budget and get the tube version.
http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/peavey-vypyr-tube-60-60w-1x12-guitar-combo-amp

If say, you want to have a little more flexibility, but still want the tubes... check out the Jet City JCA20... although you will need an OD for the higher gain stuff.
http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jet-city-amplification-jca20h-and-jca12s-half-stack/584695000000000

You can also consider the Blackstar HT20... quite a versatile amp. Altho it gets a lot of flak for not being a full tube amp.
http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/blackstar-venue-series-ht-studio-20-20w-tube-guitar-combo-amp

Alternatively, can you check around the used section of your CL to see if you can turn up a Fender Supersonic 22? It's capable of chimey cleans and brootal gain. Though new, it'll be way over your budget.
http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-super-sonic-22-22w-1x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp

Avoid the Spider like a bad case of herpes.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jun 10, 2011,
DO NOT GET A LINE 6!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S A VERY BAD AMP!!!!

Roland Cube 80XL should do the trick. My 40XL can go a fair bit louder than my drummers 9 piece who plays a lot of Lamb Of God (Which is very loud). It's extremely durable and mine's lasted over 6 months now. It suit's all metal genre's (From Opeth and Cannibal Corpse) To softer, older hard rock and metal (AC/DC, Van Halen, Iron Maiden). The clean sounds are good but the distorted channels still amaze me to this day. I HIGHLY recommend it
Quote by Naruto00121
DO NOT GET A LINE 6!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S A VERY BAD AMP!!!!

Roland Cube 80XL should do the trick. My 40XL can go a fair bit louder than my drummers 9 piece who plays a lot of Lamb Of God (Which is very loud). It's extremely durable and mine's lasted over 6 months now. It suit's all metal genre's (From Opeth and Cannibal Corpse) To softer, older hard rock and metal (AC/DC, Van Halen, Iron Maiden). The clean sounds are good but the distorted channels still amaze me to this day. I HIGHLY recommend it

he'll have $600.

he can do way better.

what ragingkitty said. +1.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
The best amp for you with your budget is the 6505+. Perfect for what you play, don't worry about the volume.
dude, for anything over 200-300 , you should not be looking at those amps.

no offense, but with a behringer and a spider 3 as your band guitar sound, your band most likely sounds ear shatterly aweful.

for 400 you can easily start looking at a solid little tube combo, and for 600 your looking to get a farily good sized gigging amp. higher gain is quite a contraint, as generally higher gain amps cost moreu to extra components needed. most cheaper tube amps in those price ranges are suited for classic rock say like bugera v22, blues junior, hot rod deluxe. however you do have a lot of options.

first off, bugera makes great stuff FOR THE MONEY. you can easily get a high power high gain tube head from them for that money and be the bel of the ball in your band. OR, you can look at jet city amps. they just released a 2o watt version with 2 channels i belive, and they are based of a soldano circuit which is modern higher gain.

trust me 20 watt tube will blow your 75 spiders away. a lot has to do with it, speaker, design etc. all amps are different. i own a spider, its so bad i dont even pay music through it anymore (havent for years). but know they are NOT loud amps.

my friend has a fender 2x12 100 watt solid state frontman and our 25 watt tube amps easily overpower it. so dont get caught up in wattage.

....another note: generallyhigher gain amps are more wattage. so whatever. if anything you either turn it down, or if you need to go up in volume mic it.

edit - the jet city 50 watt models are still on your price range as well.
Last edited by ikey_ at Jun 10, 2011,
oh wow O_O
now i have a huge list of things to consider

i live in St. John's newfoundland... in canada,
so its kinda really harrd to find gear around here
thats why the chance of me finding anything good and used
is slim to none >.>
for $400 you may want to look at the Peavey Valveking. not as high gain as the 6505+ (better choice for most modern metal styles) so it might suit you. as for drowning out the other guitar player, you may be doing your audience a favor as he needs to upgrade as well. if you drown out the drummer then either he's a pussy or you are playing way to loud.
Quote by willbosmond
oh wow O_O
now i have a huge list of things to consider

i live in St. John's newfoundland... in canada,
so its kinda really harrd to find gear around here
thats why the chance of me finding anything good and used
is slim to none >.>
Hey, **** yeah man! What's with all the Newfoundlanders coming out of the woodwork recently? I've seen five in the last couple weeks, as opposed to just one in the rest of the time I've been on UG.

Anyway, I'll read the thread and see what I can recommend.

EDIT: So, after reading the thread I can say you'll probably want to go with the 6505 112 combo, should give a very decent PTH sound if you EQ it right. You might even be able to get a Mesa Rectoverb 50 if you want to save up a bit more, they sound awesome and don't cost as much as a Dual or Triple Rectifer. Though I get what you mean, it's hard as balls to find decent gear (used or otherwise) anywhere in Atlantic Canada except for Halifax.

What's in stock around town nowadays? I'm not even sure if Long & McQuade or Music City carry Peaveys, but you can certainly try. There's another place out east somewhere you can go to as well if I'm not mistaken, just can't remember the name of the place.

PS: I'll be moving to St. Johns in less than three weeks, if your band ever plays shows or whatever I'll definitely head out. And to be super nice (cause I'm awesome), I have a Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier that just sort of sits around my house, so if you can find a cabinet for it you can even use that for a bit.

Cheers bro!
Last edited by Pat_s1t at Jun 10, 2011,