What do you guys think about being honest about everything?
Not necessarily being brutally honest, like oh yeah you totally suck..
More like "yeah I don't really like As Blood Runs Black, because they to many breakdowns that lead up to breakdowns.."
Or "No you don't really smell good, maybe you should try X deodorant"
Basically not lying, but not being a DIC all the time, easy, or hard?
Even to your best friends?

Edit: Is there anyway to change this to a poll?
"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.

Last edited by brandon2784 at Jun 10, 2011,
I, for better or worse (Usually worse), have a habit of being brutally honest to everyone. If something's really touchy, I may sugarcoat it initially but that's just more of a lead in. My friend's can't decide if this is a good or a bad trait and neither can I.
I think that's just pointing out things you don't need to point out. If someone asks me a question and wants an honest opinion (explicitly verbally asked as an "honest" opinion or not) then I will give one. I won't go around and tell exactly what's on my mind like I'm 4 years old...
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by sweet_requiem
I, for better or worse (Usually worse), have a habit of being brutally honest to everyone. If something's really touchy, I may sugarcoat it initially but that's just more of a lead in. My friend's can't decide if this is a good or a bad trait and neither can I.

I think it is somewhat good, as I personally would rather know my shortcomings then not and have people constantly talk behind my back.

Quote by Kensai
I think that's just pointing out things you don't need to point out. If someone asks me a question and wants an honest opinion (explicitly verbally asked as an "honest" opinion or not) then I will give one. I won't go around and tell exactly what's on my mind like I'm 4 years old...

Obviously, but I mean if they ask you about something specific. Would you tell them straight up?
"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91

Being honest gets you punches in the face. Lie boy, lie your arse off
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
hard to be honest in the way you describe TS

people tend to be way too sensitive and overreact to the smallest comments. they usually end up upset (even if they deny/dont show it)
sometimes its easier to tell a little lie IMO
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
if somebody asks me how i'm doing, and i simplify the answer by a lot, is that lying?
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by Harvey Swick
hard to be honest in the way you describe TS

people tend to be way too sensitive and overreact to the smallest comments. they usually end up upset (even if they deny/dont show it)
sometimes its easier to tell a little lie IMO

Would you rather be lied to though? What if your favorite shirt makes you look like a 6th grader with down syndrome, you'd want to know right, and not have them say some BS half truth?

Quote by laid-to-waste
if somebody asks me how i'm doing, and i simplify the answer by a lot, is that lying?

More specifically friends though, but no that is not.

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91

It depends on who it is. If I don't know them well I'll cover it up a little and I'll spare my friends sometimes. But if it's my closer friends then I'll just be honest with most stuff. My ex gets so mad if someone lies to her so I just don't with her.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by boreamor
White lies are what keep people from killing their friends.

A lie is a lie is a lie.

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91

Everybody lies. You may think you don't, but you do. There's no such thing as being honest all the time.
pinga
It's one of the things that annoys me is when people are fakely nice to eachother. If someone asks do I smell and they do " I will say yes you smell". If my friends band does a song that I don't like and they ask my opinion I will tell it to them without lieing to their face.

Sometimes I get called a dick for doing it but whatever. I don't just go around insulting people if they don't ask though that's just unecessary. Ironically the one guy who always calls me up on it is the person I trust least and the one who I always see bullshitting people.

I'd rather my words actually mean something.

Obviously this becomes less if I'm at work with a customer or something.
Last edited by Greenie_777 at Jun 10, 2011,
Quote by Cb4rabid
Everybody lies. You may think you don't, but you do. There's no such thing as being honest all the time.

For the important stuff though, as in the stuff that you would want the truth about. The stuff that you closest friends ask you, but you don't want to hurt feelings (try) to make them a better person (that might for example if they were a creeper just say well maybe if you didn't do THIS so much people would think you were less weird). Not some random person you don't even know. Anyway I was just getting opinions, not saying I was perfect.

Quote by Greenie_777
I'd rather my words actually mean something.

I cannot express how much I agree.

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91

There is a difference between being honest and being overly explicit with your honesty. You can be polite even if the honesty is about a touchy subject.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Im normally pretty straight up to people.
In the nicest possible way though.

Honesty is the best policy.
Quote by smokeysteve22
Im normally pretty straight up to people.
In the nicest possible way though.

Honesty is the best policy.

Right? Anyone can just Shi t out meaningless compliments or whatever, but not everyone can say what they think.

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91

Quote by hames jetfield
I lie all the time...I'm an asshole

That's unfortunate, because most people probably think you are extremely nice, when your really not, no offense.

Quote by L2112Lif
I lie, and if I said that I lied about lying I'd be lying, thus proving that I tell the truths.

1+4= 5756?

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91

Quote by brandon2784
That's unfortunate, because most people probably think you nice, when your really not, no offense.

1+4= 5756?

If we're poking holes in someone else's practices, I really dislike this phrase at times.

You just had he isn't a nice person but then said no offense. Those are two conflicting statements and, thus, not honest. It's an offensive statement.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
If you're that concerned with being honest, then it shouldn't be a problem for you as if that relates to the rest of your personality, you're probably not the type of person whose gunna get themselves in trouble and have to lie about something
Quote by BladeSlinger
If we're poking holes in someone else's practices, I really dislike this phrase at times.

You just had he isn't a nice person but then said no offense. Those are two conflicting statements and, thus, not honest. It's an offensive statement.

However *I* mean no offence, and I never said he WASN'T nice, more so that I was implying that he might not be as nice as people think.

Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
If you're that concerned with being honest, then it shouldn't be a problem for you as if that relates to the rest of your personality, you're probably not the type of person whose gunna get themselves in trouble and have to lie about something

Just wondering what peoples thoughts were on this, think of it as an experiment.

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91

Quote by brandon2784
For the important stuff though, as in the stuff that you would want the truth about. The stuff that you closest friends ask you, but you don't want to hurt feelings (try) to make them a better person (that might for example if they were a creeper just say well maybe if you didn't do THIS so much people would think you were less weird). Not some random person you don't even know. Anyway I was just getting opinions, not saying I was perfect.

I cannot express how much I agree.

I meant ''you'' in a general sense, sorry. And no, it doesn't matter what. We all say the truth sometimes, but for the most part, we're all full of shit. All of us

I don't want to sound angsty, but it's true. I don't trust anyone.
pinga
I speak my mind and that usually tends to work. My friends know I call it like it is and if I say something's wrong, I tell them. People I don't know, I usually soften it a little. They way I see it, you're telling that person because it's in their best interest, right? So tell them straight up.
Quote by brandon2784
However *I* mean no offence, and I never said he WASN'T nice, more so that I was implying that he might not be as nice as people think.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts were on this, think of it as an experiment.

Quote by brandon2784
That's unfortunate, because most people probably think you are extremely nice, when your really not, no offense.

No, you said he wasn't nice. Not "You could be nicer" or "Probably not as nice as they think", you said "most people think you are extremely nice, when your really not, no offense."

That is a statement, no an implication. I dislike the usage of 'no offense' because people don't understand how to use it. Some people say "No offense, but you're ugly." That is entirely contradictory.

I'm sorry if I'm being anal about it but it's a pet peeve for me, especially when it is used in this conversation. Lying doesn't inherently make some bad, it's simply something to be avoided. Absolutes never work, there are always exceptions.

I realize this is entirely unnecessary but it set me off a little.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
The closer the person is to me the more honest I am is the case.

IMHO.
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
Quote by BladeSlinger
No, you said he wasn't nice. Not "You could be nicer" or "Probably not as nice as they think", you said "most people think you are extremely nice, when your really not, no offense."

That is a statement, no an implication. I dislike the usage of 'no offense' because people don't understand how to use it. Some people say "No offense, but you're ugly." That is entirely contradictory.

I'm sorry if I'm being anal about it but it's a pet peeve for me, especially when it is used in this conversation. Lying doesn't inherently make some bad, it's simply something to be avoided. Absolutes never work, there are always exceptions.

I realize this is entirely unnecessary but it set me off a little.

I never state how un-nice he is or isn't leaving it slightly open to interpretation, I think. Just because someone isn't extremely nice doesn't mean they aren't at all, which is not how I really meant it. What I meant is basically "you probably aren't as nice as people think" (key word probably). Just to clear things up, I'm sorry if it didn't come across that way, I assumed people would know what I meant. As I obviously don't know him in person and cannot say.

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91

Quote by brandon2784
I never state how un-nice he is or isn't leaving it slightly open to interpretation, I think. Just because someone isn't extremely nice doesn't mean they aren't at all, which is not how I really meant it. What I meant is basically "you probably aren't as nice as people think" (key word probably). Just to clear things up, I'm sorry if it didn't come across that way, I assumed people would know what I meant. As I obviously don't know him in person and cannot say.

You explicitly stated that he is not nice. It was in no way open to interpretation.

If you meant it that way then you should have said it, not "when your really not". Because that is clearly saying he isn't nice period.

You talk about people lying but you can't exactly form a concise statement. I'm being really picky and weird but I'm trying to illustrate that you're pointing out flaws in others but you have things you do that you shouldn't, just like people who lie occasionally but mean something else.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
^ He's saying the guy isn't extremely nice. Could still be sort of nice, just not extremely.

Anyway. Depends on the person. If my truthfulness actually matters I'll speak up. Mostly I'll say whatever makes the situation better, though I prefer that I be truthful to others and vice versa.
I don't think I've ever met someone who is 100% honest about everything and I'm probably glad. Then again I very rarely ask someone elses opinion about something.
OUT OF ORDER
Quote by Lion_Slicer
^ He's saying the guy isn't extremely nice. Could still be sort of nice, just not extremely.

Anyway. Depends on the person. If my truthfulness actually matters I'll speak up. Mostly I'll say whatever makes the situation better, though I prefer that I be truthful to others and vice versa.

Then he should have said it in the first place.

And I'm not even touching on what a huge generalization that is.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I always try to be bluntly honest about important things. I feel like people need to just have things shoved in their face sometimes.
Quote by brandon2784
Right? Anyone can just Shi t out meaningless compliments or whatever, but not everyone can say what they think.

Yes but say,

you have a sloppy guitarist wanting to join your band but hes a real nice, dedicated etc.. your going to just be straight up and say 'you suck, we dont want someone crap joining learn to play properly before you can join'

or

say 'you need to tighten up your playing and be more consistent and then we would be happy with you joining but unless you do that we would not be happy with you joining'

Its still being honest but being as nice as possible.

Im just using this example.
Last edited by smokeysteve22 at Jun 10, 2011,
Quote by brandon2784
Would you rather be lied to though? What if your favorite shirt makes you look like a 6th grader with down syndrome, you'd want to know right, and not have them say some BS half truth?

More specifically friends though, but no that is not.

if it was my favorite shirt i wouldnt care what i looked like in it man. its my FAVORITE shirt. thats just me though. i do my best not to judge ANYONE on their appearances but merely their actions. i realize that last sentence is a little off topic but
i see your point though man.

this reminds me of a debate i have been having with myself: is it right to lie to those you love in order to protect their feelings?
or should we be honest with them because we love them?
i still dont have an answer after a year of inner turmoil dealing with this....

Edit:
this is honestly the worst thread i've read to day.

the worst in what respect?
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
Last edited by Harvey Swick at Jun 10, 2011,
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777

I agree.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls