Anyone ever played one of these? I was browsing the net for guitars last night and stumbled across it, considering picking one up. I'm a big fan of Slash's, but I often find that artist signatures fall a little short of what they should. So anyone played them, if so what are they like? I'd be playing it through a Marshall AVT100
If it's the one priced at $999.99 don't buy it. You're paying for the name on the guitar, you can just as easily buy an Epi. STD and throw in any Alnico-II Humbuckers and call it a day for way less then 1000. Gives you money to save up for another amp. I'm the biggest Slash fan as they come and I've played both Epi's and Gibson's Slash Models and it's nothing "amazing". Buying a signature guitar is not going to get you Slash tone, it's going to make you look like a fanboy. You can buy a Gibson Studio for 300 bucks more, maybe even a killer used piece at that price. Swap the pick-ups and there you go. I really don't see a huge difference in Epi STD and The AFD. It has a different neck profile and pickups...doesn't warrant that giant upcharge.
Yeah I have a Gibson LP studio as it is, and I was pretty cautious that you might just be paying for the Slash graphic on the headstock. My friend has a Slash's Snakepit custom and says it's an overpriced Epiphone, basically.

What about the Gibson Slash Custom? They any good?
I've briefly tried one in a store. I didn't notice it being any better than the Epi Standards, at least not in terms of the actual quality. The neck is a little thicker towards the heel than most Epis I've played and obviously the pickups are Seymour Duncans but the A2P Slash pickups really aren't that great and they have a pretty blank, flat tone by themselves. They're only a little bit hotter than the regular A2Ps, they still sound flat. That guitar will not make you sound like Slash unless you actually have an old modded JCM800 or one of those Silver Jubilee heads or something like that. The AVT won't nail those tones so the A2Ps won't be good for you. You're pretty much paying an extra £300 for a generic LP with a £100 set of pickups installed and a slightly different neck profile. Most of what you're paying for is Slash's name attached.

edit: I mean the Epi model, not the Gibson one.
Quote by controlledchaos
Yeah I have a Gibson LP studio as it is, and I was pretty cautious that you might just be paying for the Slash graphic on the headstock. My friend has a Slash's Snakepit custom and says it's an overpriced Epiphone, basically.

What about the Gibson Slash Custom? They any good?

Why do you want a guitar with slash's name all over it? Everyone has had the right comments, Slash will be slash on any old dump guitar and you will be you, even through his exact rig.

I played the Gibson custom when it came out and it felt like an over priced LP standard.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Gibson Les Paul + Marshall Vintage Modern = Any Slash tone ever. With ease.

I bought a Gibby back in January off of eBay because I've always wanted one. It's in faded honeyburst, so it kinda looks like Slash's guitar, just more yellow than orange. I then wanted a new amp. A Marshall amp. So I went into a shop, tried some out and came out with a Vintage Modern. Got home, set everything up. I researched the amp as I knew hardly anything about it and lo and behold, it is one of Slash's main live amps aside from his signature one.

Now I look like a massive Slash fanboy to people who know his gear. It doesn't help that Guns are one of my favourite bands