Whats up guys and gals. I just finished my Jackson overhaul program and encountered a strange problem.

The new OFR nuts are making my action so incredibly high its unplayable. Frets 1-5 are very high and notes are dead around the neckboard.

It seems that I have to sand the neck down to make more room but im not sure.. Ideas?
My Gear:
JacksonStars KE TN-02
Jackson DK2M
Jackson WRXT
Jackson KSXT
Jackson DXMG
Jackson 7 String soloist

Ovation Celeberity
As far as I can see (off the top of my head, I'm sure there's other ways, I just cant think of any either.) Sanding down the shelf for the nut is probably your best bet. Maybe the last nut you had was simply a thin one? I've never tried this because I haven't had this issue, but maybe you could file down the string slots in the nut itself? With ofr though it'll be pretty tough, and I believe they have a harder outer layer, and softer metal beneath that so it may not be a good idea. I'm not positive on that though.
*insert witty statement here*
Last edited by metalhead352 at Jun 10, 2011,
Quote by metalhead352
As far as I can see (off the top of my head, I'm sure there's other ways, I just cant think of any either.) Sanding down the shelf for the nut is probably your best bet. Maybe the last nut you had was simply a thin one? I've never tried this because I haven't had this issue, but maybe you could file down the string slots in the nut itself? With ofr though it'll be pretty tough, and I believe they have a harder outer layer, and softer metal beneath that so it may not be a good idea. I'm not positive on that though.

Don't do this! If you have to take anything away, take it off the nut shelf. You can always put that back by using shims. You don't want to start messing with the nut itself.
Yeah, just take some out of the nut shelf.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
when i installed mine i ran into the same problem, (not to mention strat style headstocks are a pain)
so i just had to file the shelf down. a little shot of lacquer will make the raw wood match perfect.
because of the style headstock on mine i had to go way deep then add a shim, or the nut would overhang

just make sure you do it nice and even

if you have the original nut, put them end to end and line up the string slots, that will show you how much taller the new one is and therefore how much you have to lower the new one
Last edited by xadioriderx at Jun 11, 2011,
Yeah I had the same problem on a new neck. The locking nut nut was too thick. Luckily, I have a metal fab shop and was able to grind the nut down. Take caution, this is not an easy process and you CAN loose a finger, not to mention the nut gets hot. So, try to take it off the wood (shelf). If you can't, get help from a wood shop, they'll be able to do it rather quick.