Hi guys,

I would like to get some tips on how to record with a multi voice effect. It's basically the effect the Lonely Islands use in almost all of their songs like I'm on a Boat and I just had sex. My guess is, is that they recorded 3-4 tracks while talking at different pitches and pan it differently. Is that true? If not, how would i achieve this effect?

Thanks guys! (and gals)
I'm pretty sure they just record a bunch of vocal tracks and pan them a bit.
Quote by L2112Lif
Are you asking about harmonies?

If so, then Let Me Google That For You.

Well not necessarily... If you listen to I'm on a boat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avaSdC0QOUM

you can hear during the verses that there is more than 1 vox track. And usually when recording harmonics it KINDA sounds like 1 vox track but here it sounds really obvious that it's more. So I was wondering if it is indeed just multiple tracks layered upon each other.

What my real question is, is whether those are indeed harmonies like you suggested or if it's something else.
Auto Tune (Lots of it), multiple harmonics (either generated via plugin or multiple dubs) and lots of filter effects
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by L2112Lif
Are you asking about harmonies?

If so, then Let Me Google That For You.

Douche response.

They do a LOT of vocal dubbing. A looooot. A lot of harmonies, a lot of autotune.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
okay so basically my best bet is to record the vox a couple of times (4-5?), autotune the crap out of it and make sure everything is aligned? And harmonize it right?
Here's just an example of something you can do to get close to what they do:

Track 1: Main vocal line
Track 2: Main vocal line, again
Track 3: High harmony (5th, octave, etc)
Track 4: Low harmony (typically 1 octave lower)

Edit them to being really close to on-time and tune them appropriately.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
The rap parts for Lonely Island's stuff is double tracked. For the sung parts it's a lot of different things. T-Pain obviously uses AutoTune almost like an instrument but most of his parts on I'm on a boat, the responses in the verses for instance, just seems to be double-tracked with both parts auto-tuned in his distinct way. There are a few parts that are properly harmonized but they are relatively few since there's no sung chorus as on I just had sex or Boombox.

Akon's parts on I just had sex are double-tracked, and panned pretty hard right and left, and then adds a low harmony to a few parts ("and it felt so good" at 0:14) and some high harmonies ("the past" at 0:32). The vocal ad-libs he does for the intro and verses are just a single take but there's a lot of delay and reverb on those parts (all the parts really). And all his falsetto parts sound triple-tracked. When the modulation comes at 2:16 they add a multi-voice part (basically a choral arrangement) in the background.

I really suggest checking out Julian Casablanca's work on Boombox. Sound like he double-tracks the lead and then he adds a couple of really nice harmonies for the choruses. He also varies the basic melody moving it up in register later in the song which is a nice way to build the track without adding arrangement density.
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man."

- Huey Lewis & the News
Last edited by ebon00 at Jun 12, 2011,