How do you feel about drivers slowing down to get a better view of an accident

Page 1 of 2
I think it's kind of sick. I was recently on the highway and a motorcyclist got into a bad accident and very possibly died while on the exit ramp and many passing drivers slowed down to see, it all happened on the exit ramp and did not affect any of the highway lanes yet traffic was slowed almost to a stop because of people slowing down to get a better look.

Isn't that sick?

Or am I just an anomaly?
Everyone has a morbid curiosity. It's kind of annoying when you're waiting, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't try to look. I just try not to slow down as I do.
I think it's hilarious when they all take a look and create a massive chain of crashes.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I think it's a derivative of human social behaviour; when people got sick or died people in the group took notice of that. We're kinda wired to do it I think.

I don't though because it's pretty morbid. Also I don't have a car.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
People absolutely love to see horrible accidents and murders, as well as any sort of fighting really. Just look at the news. We wouldn't watch it if it was boring.
I do this. If some accident has made me late for work I want to know what it is. A distressing accident will evoke sympathy and I'll be less angry about being late for work. If I get to the accident and the cause is slowing down for swans or something I'd still be pretty angry.
It gives me more time to masturbate.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by User_Name336
pisses me off. no reason for the highway to be backed up and add an extra 45 minutes on my drive. you can see it just fine if you dont slow down. seriously!

this x amillion

people man, wtf
Quote by Banjocal
It gives me more time to masturbate.

he speaks truth
Quote by TomusAM
Is it annoying? Yes.

Do we all do it anyway? Yes.

Quote by blake1221
Everyone has a morbid curiosity. It's kind of annoying when you're waiting, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't try to look. I just try not to slow down as I do.

both of these
I hate it when chucklefuckers do this. The morons usually don't realise that as they are distracted, and as they slow down, they make for very dangerous driving for other motorists who are behind them and have no idea what's going on. At low speeds, this can be an annoyance, at high speeds where the speed limit is likely to cause a statistically greater number of crashes in the first place, leading to even more distracted drivers, it can be lethal. One distracted motorist on the road is bad enough, when EVERYONE starts getting distracted because they're getting a look, then the situation is compounded several times.

Quote by Lost Dog
People absolutely love to see horrible accidents and murders, as well as any sort of fighting really. Just look at the news. We wouldn't watch it if it was boring.

Are you saying people watch the news because we're sadists?
Last edited by LordBishek at Jun 10, 2011,
The way I see it (bearing in mind I'm not a fully licensed driver) is that if I'm gonna be stuck in a queue while everybody in front of me goes dead slow to see the accident, I can at least have my turn cruising slowly past just to see what the ****'s been holding me up
Quote by Masamune
How do you feel about drivers getting distracted by attractive joggers?

Equally irritated. Couldn't care less apart from the fact that it might be my life they're endangering just because they need to get a fleeting glimpse of a pretty.
Well a lot of people don't enjoy driving. And this is a distraction.
Better they slow down and look than go faster and look.
Because they will look.
Quote by Silent Murder
Well a lot of people don't enjoy driving. And this is a distraction.
Better they slow down and look than go faster and look.
Because they will look.

Yes. That's because they're morons and haven't thought about the consequences of it. Not because they're right and they're entitled to look. Driving instructors actively encourage NOT slowing down because it can make things worse.
Quote by LordBishek

I wouldn't go as far as sadists, but do this: go for a week without listening to the radio, watching television, or reading the papers. Then, observe a headline about a murder, and see how often you think they have tried to give it that extra bit of "entertainment value". For example the Madeline McCann or Diana cases; they just keep bringing it bak up for the sake of a headline - it's all morbid entertainment really.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Banjocal
I wouldn't go as far as sadists, but do this: go for a week without listening to the radio, watching television, or reading the papers. Then, observe a headline about a murder, and see how often you think they have tried to give it that extra bit of "entertainment value". For example the Madeline McCann or Diana cases; they just keep bringing it bak up for the sake of a headline - it's all morbid entertainment really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWqvWFUj51k&feature=related

I use any chance to post some charlie brooker and this post means I can post something vaguely relevant.
The thing is an extra 45 mins to an hour delay is like 1/16th of your waking time, to me that is a huge amount of wasted time, I realize that most people don't have anything to do other than watch tv and eat after work but someone like me, and many of you, don't want to spend 1/16th of our day stuck in traffic, we want to get home and play guitar or have sex or ****ing whatever, it's just so ****ing irritating how stupid people are, and the worst thing is most people don't think it's stupid
Pisses me the fuck off. We are all on the road because we need to be somewhere. Slowing down to see something that has nothing to do with anyone is counter-productive to that. People need to get over their stupid curiosity and understand that we have places to be, and not enough time in our lives to waste on insignificant shit.

Also: People doing this interfere with the authorities/fire trucks/ambulances that still might need to get there, so everyone who is guilty could have a part in the untimely death of another person.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Quote by LordBishek
Yes. That's because they're morons and haven't thought about the consequences of it. Not because they're right and they're entitled to look. Driving instructors actively encourage NOT slowing down because it can make things worse.

Yeah. When I ride to work I see a lot of people have forgotten everything they're taught. Sad but true.
But as soon as one car slows down, the whole rest has to for safety. That's why a small brake at the start causes massive slowing down towards the end of the traffic.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Quote by Banjocal

I think that's a problem with the media, not the general populace. As for the media only "telling people what they want to hear", I have to say that the vast majority of the time, the media itself influences what people "want to hear", thereby fulfilling their own agenda. I don't watch the news for entertainment value, I watch it because it makes a very serious difference to the world and has ramifications far beyond simply topical events. Ultimately, we as a species study history for a number of different reasons, and I don't think it's any different that most people watch the news to be informed about current events and what it means for society not just right now, but in the future too. I don't think people watch the news for entertainment value. Of course, there are plenty of tabloids and pop news things to spice up the news as you say, but nobody takes them seriously as objective journalism. There's clearly a gulf of intentions between an article in the Sun, and an article in the Times. I don't think people read and watch objective journalism simply to be entertained.
Quote by LordBishek
While I understand your post, I was referring to even broadsheet papers and news stations such as the BBC. If you avoid the news enough you will start to notice just how entertainment based news is, even in supposedly professional/serious sources like the BBC or CNN. Sure, it's rarer to happen, but they still advertise us their spin on a juicy murder case where a skeleton has been found in some bins or something to that effect, stretching it out over a few days, interviews with the mother or relative, before reporting later that the case is being abandoned. And yes, I was referring to it being a media problem, but it is subsequently a populace problem to some degree because the general population can't tell the difference between gossip and reportage. Nowadays, the line between the two is so thin I can barely see it.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Last edited by Banjocal at Jun 10, 2011,
Quote by Silent Murder
Yeah. When I ride to work I see a lot of people have forgotten everything they're taught. Sad but true.
But as soon as one car slows down, the whole rest has to for safety. That's why a small brake at the start causes massive slowing down towards the end of the traffic.

Yeah, but that's the thing - as people slow down, they generally do two things:

A) They turn their attention to the reason why they're slowing down - the accident
B) Most every driver tends to relax a little and become less focused as they slow down. Makes sense, we need less reaction time when we're driving at 30 than when we're driving at 60.

Both of these things cause a lapse of concentration on the road, the first because of distraction, the second just from general driving habits. People simply assume that by going slower, they will be perfectly safe. They don't recognise that you may need to be marginally less aware at lower speeds, but you STILL NEED TO BE AWARE. This is especially true in bottleneck situations, where even at low speeds, with cars densely packed together, even a split-second's hesitation or distraction can result in you cheerfully piling into the care in front of you or next to you.

People slow down, but they forget that car spacing decreases significantly. The results are more accidents.
Damn rubberneckers. Keep moving
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by doomded
Also: People doing this interfere with the authorities/fire trucks/ambulances that still might need to get there, so everyone who is guilty could have a part in the untimely death of another person.

This x abillion

some (most) people don't think about anything beyond what's in front of them

and the fact that the news is a business is just ****ed up beyond belief
Quote by Banjocal
While I understand your post, I was referring to even broadsheet papers and news stations such as the BBC. If you avoid the news enough you will start to notice just how entertainment based news is, even in supposedly professional/serious sources like the BBC or CNN. Sure, it's rarer to happen, but they still advertise us their spin on a juicy murder case where a skeleton has been found in some bins or something to that effect. And yes, I was referring to it being a media problem, but it is subsequently a populace problem to some degree because the general population can't tell the difference between gossip and reportage. Nowadays, the line between the two is so thin I can barely see it.

I'm not so sure. I'm not a fan of the media, but I can't say I see a great deal of sensationalism amongst BBC or the like. Still, I'm not going to dwell on the media too much, because I do believe that it's one of two things gone horribly wrong with this country anyway.

However, while some people do derive entertainment from the news, and yes, use it as gossip fodder, I do think the primary goal for most people who watch the news is to be informed. I reckon most normal people watching the news to stave off boredom would find it depressing, and that's WHY so many don't even watch it in the first place.
Quote by LordBishek

Of course. We love watching gunners go on rampages (recent Raoul Moat incident, or high school shootings if you're a yank.

It's not necessary for the whole world to know of a killing in a school, but the news reports in anyway because they know people will watch it.

Here's an excellent and very relevant short video taken from Charlie Brooker's Newswipe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PezlFNTGWv4
Quote by LordBishek
I'm not so sure. I'm not a fan of the media, but I can't say I see a great deal of sensationalism amongst BBC or the like. Still, I'm not going to dwell on the media too much, because I do believe that it's one of two things gone horribly wrong with this country anyway.

However, while some people do derive entertainment from the news, and yes, use it as gossip fodder, I do think the primary goal for most people who watch the news is to be informed. I reckon most normal people watching the news to stave off boredom would find it depressing, and that's WHY so many don't even watch it in the first place.

Fair enough. I would agree with all of that to a degree. As I said, I don't see it much in the BBC and more serious ones, but I have seen it there, though it is subtle. Anyway, we should probably stop this discussion before pages are gone through

Quote by TheBurningFish

I do believe I have just fallen in love with Tool. Thank you good sir.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Last edited by Banjocal at Jun 10, 2011,
I miss the old Charlie.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Ghefly
Of course. We love watching gunners go on rampages (recent Raoul Moat incident, or high school shootings if you're a yank.

It's not necessary for the whole world to know of a killing in a school, but the news reports in anyway because they know people will watch it.

Here's an excellent and very relevant short video taken from Charlie Brooker's Newswipe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PezlFNTGWv4

That's not what I'm saying though. Again, This post is a damning (and true) criticism of the media. People WILL watch it - and yes, some people will certainly be entertained by it. In fact, let's be brutally honest, there is probably a small part of everyone that will want to watch it for selfish reasons. This could be as obvious as sadism, but something as subtle as feeling good about feeling altruistic and symapthetic when confronted by stories of people suffering. I am not arguing that.

I'm saying that's not the PRIMARY reason why most people watch the news. I am not arguing so much about why the media SHOWS the news, but I am interested in why the audience is there.
Quote by Banjocal
Fair enough. I would agree with all of that to a degree. As I said, I don't see it much in the BBC and more serious ones, but I have seen it there, though it is subtle. Anyway, we should probably stop this discussion before pages are gone through

OK, Fair play.

Quote by TheBurningFish

Bless you for posting that song. I'd forgot what it was like to listen to excellent music, it's been too long since I listened to Tool.

EDIT: One addendum I must add. The US, I see, DOES thrive on news entertainment. Looking at the popularity of such shows as any of the comedians/commentators (Stewart, etc.) I have to say that there's definitely an audience for that kind of thind. Even our own shows such as HIGNFY and Mock the Week exemplify this, but I do think that the fact people treat such comedy shows as separate from their news shows that they DO have different priorities for each of the shows. I have a dirty feeling a lot of people in the States (not a vast majority or even a majority, but a large proportion compared to England) DO consider such shows their sources of news.
Last edited by LordBishek at Jun 10, 2011,
Hell, consider your self lucky you don't need to stop. I'm a first aider, so I'm legally required to stop, unless it's going to put myself in danger or there's help already there.
not everybody slowing down are sadists, they're just curious. although, yes, it's an asshole thing to do.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Page 1 of 2