So if I actually get this job I had an interview for this week, I'll be getting some new pickups for my Gibson SG. If I don't get the job, I'll still get the pups, but not as soon...

My SG has the regular 490 and 498 pickups, and I find them very lifeless. They're not bad, but they're pretty standard.
Now, what I'd like is a very warm and nice clean tone as a priority, with some nice crunch :-) the highest gain I'd ever go is Muse or stuff like that, I absolutely despise metal.
What I was thinking about was the SD Antiquities, though they seem quite expensive... I might fork out for these if they're worth it, but otherwise I'd like something cheaper, I'd say they're the absolute top of my budget if I'm stretching it (I think they're 120$ each?)

Any recommendations? Thanks for your help!

EDIT: didn't really describe the sound I was looking for.. I'm not too much into extremely bright cleans, I like them warm with a nice definition
Last edited by Darkflame at Jun 10, 2011,
I'm gonna suggest a duncan jb for the bridge, usually I don't recommend it, but its a rather bright pickup, gives nice crunchy tones. Plenty of life, great in an sg it seems to muddy up LP style guitars.

As for the neck, try a duncan jazz for clean tones.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
The tricky part is that I don't want a pickup I already have .. I am receiving my p90 les paul in 3 weeks/a month, and already have an SH-2 in my jaguar :P I'd like to go for something different..
I also dislike bright bridge pickups, I know it's weird since that's usually how they are, but I'm not a big fan
Alnico II Pro, maybe?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
dude, if you can stretch to $120, you're basically in the range of a set of Wolfetone pups, why don't you consider those?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
dude, if you can stretch to $120, you're basically in the range of a set of Wolfetone pups, why don't you consider those?

My Wolfetone's are being installed in my SG at this moment.. I am super excited. I have the standard, I think they are the same stock pickups. I loved the neck pickup, but the bridge was always so quite and brittle... I am having Wolfetone Marshallheads installed. I think they ran at $130 each without covers. I think those would be a good option. My friend has a custom SG which the guitar tech who did Frank Zappa's guitars, (who's mine too, installing my pickups!!) made my friends to Zappa's specks with mini humbuckers. (IDK why he would spend a great deal of money on an Custom Shop VOS SG with P90's only to have it redone...) and they are extremely bright! They were seymour duncans, and I was playing through his AD140, and they were still very bright. I would get wolfetones, or humbucker sized P90's.
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

i dunno what prices are like in USA but i would recommend Bareknuckle pups. Have a browse of their website theres loadsa clips and they cover a wide range of styles and voicings.
Guitars
Fender USA Strat
Tele c/w Bare Knucks
Amps
Dr Z Remedy
Orange Dual Terror
Epiphone VJ
Orange 1X12 Cab
Pedals
Loads!!
The mini-humbuckers would be a bit small but I think they come with cradles, don't they..?
Gibson 57's : I did consider them, but they seem to be fairly expensive for what they are...

Kitty: I didn't know about Wolfetone pups, thanks for suggesting them, I'll have a look! which models would you recommend? I was also looking at Rio Grande pups, they'd be 130$ but might be worth it... Besides these, I thought about Bareknuckle as well but aren't they british? that'd be expensive for the import...
There's a shop that also sells Suhr pickups, are they any good?
If you want my pup list... I can post it... I think I have about 50 winder in there all in all.

If you want pup advice... I need:

1. guitar tonewood
2. amp
3. genres of music + reference band tones.
4. A rough indication of the EQ curve you are looking for direct from guitar (i.e. before the signal hits the preamp - B , M, T)

I think there's a place in the states that sells them for relative cheaps... IIRC its Axe Palace... MatrixClaw was going on and on about it. Check them out first? If you need BKP rec... just ask away.

Without knowing the details.... check the following Wolfetones:

Dr Vintage
Legend
Grey Wolf
Timbre Wolf (for bridge)
Caretaker

I've only tried 2 Rio Grande pups before... they are nice... but I find they tend to be slightly little more middy and muscular than their descriptions indicate. Not a bad thing... just different.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jun 11, 2011,
I like Duncan antiquities a lot but they can be a mixed bag.

Here is my suggestion... buy two bridge models. But find them used... get one in the 8.1k or so range for the neck and one that is 8.6k+ for the bridge. The hotter ones are better for these pickups because Seymour often degausses them to a pretty significant degree. It's ok for the neck, but the bridge can be woefully underpowered because of this. Otherwise they are great pickups. The closest things out there to real PAFs that I've personally come across.

Wolfetone Dr. Vintages are also very similar to Antiquities. I like them as well. Wolfe can wind them to your spec too if you want them hotter.
Last edited by al112987 at Jun 11, 2011,
Quote by ragingkitty
If you want my pup list... I can post it... I think I have about 50 winder in there all in all.

If you want pup advice... I need:

1. guitar tonewood
2. amp
3. genres of music + reference band tones.
4. A rough indication of the EQ curve you are looking for direct from guitar (i.e. before the signal hits the preamp - B , M, T)

I think there's a place in the states that sells them for relative cheaps... IIRC its Axe Palace... MatrixClaw was going on and on about it. Check them out first? If you need BKP rec... just ask away.

Without knowing the details.... check the following Wolfetones:

Dr Vintage
Legend
Grey Wolf
Timbre Wolf (for bridge)
Caretaker

I've only tried 2 Rio Grande pups before... they are nice... but I find they tend to be slightly little more middy and muscular than their descriptions indicate. Not a bad thing... just different.

Hey thanks =)

1- Guitar tonewood: mahogany, rosewood fingerboard
2- Amps: my main rig is a '67 blackface Fender Bassman in stereo with an Orange AD30, but I mainly use my Fender Twin on stage because it's easier to carry around
3- Genres: I guess I'm around the indie/alternative rock genre, my main influences being Placebo, Silversun Pickups, Metric, Muse...
4- I'd say something like B-5, M-6, T-4

Now, I didn't specify I'm in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, not in the US

I was actually finding that Dr Vintage pair quite nice on the Wolfetone website, not too expensive and they seemed to be PAF replicas =) I have Dimarzio PAF pros in my MM Silhouette and only wish they were a tad bit warmer, and had less high mids.. would the Dr Vintages do that?
Last edited by Darkflame at Jun 12, 2011,
The Dimarzio PAF range aren't really PAF copies with the exception of the Dimarzio 36 anniversary PAF.

My experience with the Dr. Vintage pickups is that they are warm but they are a tad thin sounding. Some people might call them bright, which I suppose they are... sort of. The top end is nice and round with a nice bit of sizzle, but what might really get you is how thin they sound. Now, this was in my les paul, they will likely sound thinner in a SG. So do consider that. You may like the Marshallhead with an A2 magnet. Bubb Tubbs has those.
Quote by al112987
The Dimarzio PAF range aren't really PAF copies with the exception of the Dimarzio 36 anniversary PAF.

My experience with the Dr. Vintage pickups is that they are warm but they are a tad thin sounding. Some people might call them bright, which I suppose they are... sort of. The top end is nice and round with a nice bit of sizzle, but what might really get you is how thin they sound. Now, this was in my les paul, they will likely sound thinner in a SG. So do consider that. You may like the Marshallhead with an A2 magnet. Bubb Tubbs has those.

I'm getting Marshallheads in my SG, but without the A2 mod (mine have the standard Alnico 5's) because I wanted to do a coil tap. Wolfe and I decided that the A5 Marshallheads would be the way to go in my case. Talk to Wolfe, he's a great guy and will help you with everything. I would suggest a Marshallhead A2 in the neck, and an A5 in the bridge, like the SG is already set up with.
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

A5s would definitely give it the output boost that would make it better for splitting.

I like the A5 Marshallheads, but for PAF tone, I like A2s better. A2s also will roll off the highs a little bit more than the A5s. My favorite Wolfetone pickup though is the degaussed A5 Marshallhead Mk IIs. The clip on his webpage is actually mine.
Seeing I don't want high output pups and a warm sound, would the Marshallheads still be the main choice or would I have to look at another one? Someone said I can ask for some customization on the pups, can I get a warmer sound out of the Dr Vintages and get what I seem to be looking for?

Either way, I'm liking these wolftones =)
Quote by Darkflame
Seeing I don't want high output pups and a warm sound, would the Marshallheads still be the main choice or would I have to look at another one? Someone said I can ask for some customization on the pups, can I get a warmer sound out of the Dr Vintages and get what I seem to be looking for?

Just talk to Wolfe, he is all knowing.
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

Quote by Darkflame

The Marshallheads are bright but meaty. The Dr. Vintages are bright and thin. I would not call the Marshallheads bright pickups, I shouldn't say that the A2s are super warm or anything, you can soften the highs a little bit on a pickup and they are still bright.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRAJqdZcz5k

That was always a good example to me of what the Marshallheads sounded like (you have to skip to about a minute in, the first part uses a telecaster)

You can't get a warmer sound unless you wind a pickup hotter usually. That being said, I wouldn't say that the Dr. Vintages lack warmth.
Hmm... so essentially you want something that is warm sounding... more lower mids than high mids correct?

Personally, you have a darker guitar, matched with a bright and a dark amp. If I were to pick a pup... I'd pick something slightly brighter to complement the generally dark gear you are packing.

However, since you want something warmer... might I suggest....

Caretaker - but get Wolfe to make it warmer
Grey Wolf - but get the Alnico 2 magnets
Legends
Dr Vintage would also work fine.

In fact, I'm thinking that you can also ask for a Fenris for the bridge position, but get it wound to maybe around the 9 - 10k range? Then I think it would sound nice if you matched it the Legend?

Any thoughts Al?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jun 12, 2011,
The Legends are supposedly ****ing sweet, but I've never tried them. They might be the best option here, somewhere in between the Marshallhead and Dr. Vintage in output. I don't think the magnets have been weakened like the Dr. Vintage either. I honestly couldn't say much about the Fenris, Caretaker or Grey Wolf, I've never really heard or played them. Wolfe made his rep with the Marshallhead and Dr. Vintage though. So those may be the best bet, or the Legends. I don't know how many different wind patterns Wolfe has. He has told me that the Dr. Vintage and Marshallhead are actually the same wind, one just wound up more than the other. I know he just puts his machine on random and lets it go nuts for the Legend though.

I suppose that's cool and more like the real PAFs... but I imagine that it can make for some variation between models. Though the folks who have them on les paul forums seem to love them regardless.
Quote by al112987
The Marshallheads are bright but meaty. The Dr. Vintages are bright and thin. I would not call the Marshallheads bright pickups, I shouldn't say that the A2s are super warm or anything, you can soften the highs a little bit on a pickup and they are still bright.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRAJqdZcz5k

That was always a good example to me of what the Marshallheads sounded like (you have to skip to about a minute in, the first part uses a telecaster)

You can't get a warmer sound unless you wind a pickup hotter usually. That being said, I wouldn't say that the Dr. Vintages lack warmth.

When I was deciding about Wolfetones, that video put me over the edge. That was my Tone. Those pickups through that Supro (Though I want a Thunderbolt too) sounded heavenly. I'm not sure you could really go wrong with Wolfetones!
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

Quote by al112987
The Legends are supposedly ****ing sweet, but I've never tried them. They might be the best option here, somewhere in between the Marshallhead and Dr. Vintage in output. I don't think the magnets have been weakened like the Dr. Vintage either. I honestly couldn't say much about the Fenris, Caretaker or Grey Wolf, I've never really heard or played them. Wolfe made his rep with the Marshallhead and Dr. Vintage though. So those may be the best bet, or the Legends. I don't know how many different wind patterns Wolfe has. He has told me that the Dr. Vintage and Marshallhead are actually the same wind, one just wound up more than the other. I know he just puts his machine on random and lets it go nuts for the Legend though.

I suppose that's cool and more like the real PAFs... but I imagine that it can make for some variation between models. Though the folks who have them on les paul forums seem to love them regardless.

Well there you have it... word from al is pretty much a confirmation of what you could look at.

Disregard the BKP suggestion... BKPs in general tend to veer towards the brighter end of the tonal spectrum with the exception of a few pups.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )