hey guys,

so i've been practicing some new slayer songs and man are they effin fast....i usually play 'em in standard tuning and i tune up the guitar pro file to standard too....but i'm jus curious to know does tuning down (half a step typically) help 'em play at that kinda speed?

thanks
It doesn't if anything it makes playing fast harder as the strings are slacker
Quote by TheQuailman
I wish my amp sucked on my knob.

if you were to smash a child around the head with a full bottle of no more tears shampoo...would it be ironic if they cried
no.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Doesn't make it easier. Doesn't make it harder.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
oooopss... i forgot to mention as well when i down tune my guitar to half a step i actually am able to keep up better...

like u said the slack in the string probably lets the pick slip easier so u can alternate pick faster instead of the tighter tension in a string on standard tuning...

if one of you dudes is with a guitar right now...try it out n lemme know...
Last edited by rayven1lk at Jun 10, 2011,
Quote by rayven1lk
oooopss... i forgot to mention as well when i down tune my guitar to half a step i actually am able to keep up better...

like u said the slack in the string probably lets the pick slip easier so u can alternate pick faster instead of the tighter tension in a string on standard tuning...

if one of you dudes is with a guitar right now...try it out n lemme know...

Three guitars, one in E with 10's one in Eb with 10's and one in C# with 13's the one in e is the fastest to play followed by C# ...
Quote by TheQuailman
I wish my amp sucked on my knob.

if you were to smash a child around the head with a full bottle of no more tears shampoo...would it be ironic if they cried
@ twist, k...its pretty interesting...i just don't get why i'm able to play the songs better when i tune down half a step lol...its been bugging me so much which is why i posted this thread
It's probably that your dropped tuning matches your pick better, making it easier to play faster.

At first, I thought you meant you used drop D or drop C tuning (where your heaviest string is tuned to the pitch of your 4th string. In that case, some Slayer songs are easier, because you can barre whole chords with one finger.

I've never been a fan of dropped tunings though. I just tune the whole thing down 1 whole step to D standard - 'tis brutal enough.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
yeah i see how u might have thought that...i meant more about picking technique...but u could be right...i play with dunlop tortex's (0.88)....the only thing i don like abt 'em is how fast they wear out...but when brand new they're very good....

another thing i was wondering was how when metallica decided to play primarily half a step down their songs seemed so much more faster....
No. And most bands down-tune to accomodate the singer, rather because of some technical edge. Also, with regards to the speed remark, it's likely nonexistent or a placebo effect: your perception of better playing may help you play better (or, at the least, tune out your mistakes).
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
yeah it could be placebo, i guess i'll keep practicing everything in standard till i feel comfortable...i can play the songs, i just feel like i need to put much more effort when playing in standard...
Quote by Zen Skin
Don't worry about speed -- it's a trap for most young musicians.

He's learning a song, so how can playing the actual tempo (If comfortable) be a trap..?

I honestly think I can play faster in dropped tunings because of the slack in the strings.
Quote by skylerjames13
This +10000

You're a decent 11'er Bryc3e

Nothing can keep you away from the need to create.. Cause your path is free! - Jari Maenpaa