Hey guys so last night I decided to learn alternate picking properly, I was attempting to learn a little lick last night on the high E string, and I was using a metronome and can now successfully play the lick, using alternate picking at 225 bpm, I just wanna know if this is good progression?

Also, I was wondering if eventually the alternate picking would transition into the solos I've wrote, which I only used downward picking for? Would this require just playing the solo over and over in alternate picking?

Thanks guys
Quote by controlledchaos
Hey guys so last night I decided to learn alternate picking properly, I was attempting to learn a little lick last night on the high E string, and I was using a metronome and can now successfully play the lick, using alternate picking at 225 bpm, I just wanna know if this is good progression?

Yes. Just start slow enough that you can nail it cleanly, then bump up the tempo so and so on until you're on tempo. Just remember, you've only been successful when it's clean and comfortable. But, yeah, sounds like you got the jist of it.

Quote by controlledchaos
Also, I was wondering if eventually the alternate picking would transition into the solos I've wrote, which I only used downward picking for? Would this require just playing the solo over and over in alternate picking?

Yes, do the same thing you did for that e string lick: use a metronome and keep going until you can play it on tempo. I figure that you'll eventually make the alternate picking movements naturally without even thinking about it.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.