Sup UG. I originally posted a thread in GG&A about a new OD pedal but as it turns out I'd rather put the money towards a new 7 at the moment seeing as I've been after one for a helluva lot longer.

So without further do, of the three following 7's, which is best build/construction wise? Let's ignore looks/pups right now, because build quality is more important than how cool it is and pups can eventually be swapped out if worst comes to worst.

1) Schecter Hellraiser Special C-7
http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/schecter-guitar-research-hellraiser-special-c-7-electric-guitar

Set Neck, 26.5" Scale, 3 Piece Mahogany Neck, Rosewood fretboard, 24 frets, QM top, Grover tuners, Made in Korea I assume.

2) Ibanez RGD7321
http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-rgd7321-7-string-electric-guitar/h69982000001000

I can't find the neck for this one, but I would assume it's bolt on being Ibanez and all. 5 piece maple/walnut neck, 26.5" scale, 24 frets, Gibraltar bridge, probably also MIK.

3) Agile Septor Pro 727
http://www.rondomusic.com/septorpro727ebtpurple.html

Mahogany archtop, 5 piece neck w/ Neck through body, tone pros bridge, ebony fretboard, Grover tuners, 27" scale, 24 frets, almost definitely MIK.

Anyway, price range is about $725, I prefer thin (think Ibanez, Jackson, ESP) necks but I don't HATE necks that are on the thicker side. I kinda prefer the mahogany bodies of the Agile and the Schecter too. Also, if there's any guitar I might have missed in a similar range, please suggest it (no FR's though. I already have enough guitars with trems and I need a damn hardtail.)
Gear:
Ibanez RG3770
Ibanez S5EX1
Jackson SLS3
Jackson RR24
Jet City JCA50H
Marshall 1960A
I have a Agile Hornet and 2 things that bug me about it is one tone knob is placed way too close to the strumming range of your hand and it's very neck heavy. It likes to tip down if you don't hold it with your hands.
Yeah, that would annoy me too. And the knob positioning seems to be about the same on the Septor too
Gear:
Ibanez RG3770
Ibanez S5EX1
Jackson SLS3
Jackson RR24
Jet City JCA50H
Marshall 1960A
I;d have to go with schecter dude they always make quality stuff
Rock on or die

Guitarist 5 years, Had purpose in life 5 years

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
2nd hand Ibanez 7621.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I have a seven string from Schecter (Not the same one you posted, I have the Damien Elite,) and it sound's amazing. My friend has a 6 string Hellraiser and it sounds good too, so I'd have to reccomend the Schecter.
The Schecter hardware is great and so far the Schecters I've played haven't disappointed. The necks are a bit on the thicker side (played a Blackjack 7) compared to Ibby.
Honestly if you're into chugging and some heavy riffage with maybe occasional sweeps I'd go Schecter (check out the ESP M-417, that's great too). If you want a decent mix go for the Ibanez, the V pups aren't too bad. I personally own the S series seven string and that thing is versatile and great, the only regret is the standard scale, if I drop into A shit gets floppy.
Or got for a second hand 7621 as previously said
Quote by Tom 1.0
2nd hand Ibanez 7621.

How is it in comparison to the newer 7321s? I played a 7321 recently and I wasn't particularly impressed with it tbh.

@nirvana, unyinz, and almighty, I was leaning towards the Schecter actually. I don't really mind the thicker neck there (The neck on my Schecter is really nice and I've played higher end ones that friends have which I really liked.) I also have to agree that the QC is f'ing great on Schecters. On top of that, build quality aside, I know I said pickups weren't important but I am kinda into the fact that the Schecter has the EMG's stock in it since I wouldn't mind getting a guitar with active pups for a change.
Gear:
Ibanez RG3770
Ibanez S5EX1
Jackson SLS3
Jackson RR24
Jet City JCA50H
Marshall 1960A
Blows it away, it was their top end production 7 string throughout the 90s before they introduced the Prestige line.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Blows it away, it was their top end production 7 string throughout the 90s before they introduced the Prestige line.

Yeah the 7621 and 7421s both are soo much better then the rg7321..

In that case I'll definitely consider that, especially if I can find a good deal on one. In all honesty it'll probably be that or the Schecter.
Gear:
Ibanez RG3770
Ibanez S5EX1
Jackson SLS3
Jackson RR24
Jet City JCA50H
Marshall 1960A
Quote by coolstoryangus
Yeah the 7621 and 7421s both are soo much better then the rg7321..

The guy isn't asking about the RG7321, but about the RGD7321. Don't worry, I thought the same thing until I reread the thread to see what kind of Agile.

Now, I think that it all depends on what you want in a guitar.
If it were me, I'd go with the Ibanez and plop some BKP's in there, but those cost like 350$ for a set.
Yeah, I did mention the RG7321 xD. Also, the BKP's are kinda out of the question right now seeing as like you said they're expensive for a full set and plus I live in the states so shipping would add a decent amount of cash onto that. Though a set of DiMarzio or Duncan 7's would be fine after I saved up a little bit.

Edit: Also, I can't find a single RG7621 on ebay or locally on CL Which kinda sucks just because it limits my choices.
Gear:
Ibanez RG3770
Ibanez S5EX1
Jackson SLS3
Jackson RR24
Jet City JCA50H
Marshall 1960A
Last edited by cookies! at Jun 10, 2011,
Yeah i'd probably go for the crunch lab/liquifire set.. they are nice pups especially considering dimarzios are that much cheaper in the states.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Jun 10, 2011,
I could easily see that. I've never really heard either pickup so I'll see if I can find a friend who has a set if I end up going down that route. I'm a fan of Dimarzios anyway (see sig) but I am kinda interested in going actives this time only because I don't have any guitars with actives. I used to and believe it or not I kinda miss them
Gear:
Ibanez RG3770
Ibanez S5EX1
Jackson SLS3
Jackson RR24
Jet City JCA50H
Marshall 1960A
You have great taste dude, I must say. These are some pretty sick options, I have a soft spot for every guitar on this list.

The RG7421 or RG7621's are great guitars to consider too, they would be better build quality than anything you listed. But everything you listed are great guitars too.
Have you checked Agiles shipping? It might be out of your price range after shipping because they seem to charge alot for shipping.
In terms of quality though, they are all pretty similar. Just think about the specs and looks of the guitar and make descision for yourself. Personally I'd get the Septor out of the ones you listed because Agiles purple quilts are amazing.
If you can find a used rg7621 get that. If not, then out of the three you posted, I'd say go for the schecter
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Last edited by DamagingExcess at Jun 10, 2011,
As you say you like the feel of the schecters I say go for that one. The ones I've played have been very comfortable.
Have you checked Agiles shipping? It might be out of your price range after shipping because they seem to charge alot for shipping.

I have...it's doable but pricey as hell. Like $30 for standard shipping. My only worry about the Agile is I've heard the finishes are kinda thin and I'd like whichever one I get to last me for a good while. And unfortunately I can't find a 7621 or 7421 for jack which is kinda wierd; I figured there'd be a decent few on the used market but I can't find any.
Gear:
Ibanez RG3770
Ibanez S5EX1
Jackson SLS3
Jackson RR24
Jet City JCA50H
Marshall 1960A