I wasn't sure where to put this so I assumed the pit would be fine. So I've always wanted to be a bass player/singer for a band. But my friends always told me I was tone deaf (which is really upsetting to hear as a musician) and I just didn't believe them because they don't really know anything about music. But I just plugged in a rockband mic to my computer and recorded myself singing on audacity to some of my favorite songs and it sounds really bad. Does this mean I might be tone deaf? Can people who are tone deaf still sing well if they practice? How do I get better at singing? Maybe I just wasn't singing properly cause there's others in the house and I was being quiet? I need help.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Only you can know if your tone deaf.

That's not true. Most people who are tone deaf actually have no idea that they are. If you are in fact tone deaf, singing and having it sound good is virtually impossible considering that singing is all about tone and staying in key.

If you are tone deaf, stick with the bass and make sure to use a tuner before you play.
Try singing with your finger in your ear and see if it comes out better. You might just not really be listening to yourself as you sing
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
try singing out of the top of your head if you are fat. yes I know htat sounds stupid, but it works, trust me.

and singing takes practice. could I sing a year ago? kinda. 6 months before that? hell no. you'll get better if you just practice.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by Abacus11
That's not true. Most people who are tone deaf actually have no idea that they are. If you are in fact tone deaf, singing and having it sound good is virtually impossible considering that singing is all about tone and staying in key.

If you are tone deaf, stick with the bass and make sure to use a tuner before you play.

Oh....
Could a mod please move this thread to the singing and vocals section please? Thanks

I tried with my fingers in my ears and I think it only sounds a little better.
Also, I can pretty much tune my bass by ear if I try hard enough, does that mean I'm not tone deaf?

How do you practice singing?
Last edited by Rawshik at Jun 10, 2011,
Quote by Rawshik
Could a mod please move this thread to the singing and vocals section please? Thanks

I tried with my fingers in my ears and I think it only sounds a little better.
Also, I can pretty much tune my bass by ear if I try hard enough, does that mean I'm not tone deaf?

How do you practice singing?

If you sound better when you can hear yourself better then you're not tone deaf. Maybe you should start by just practicing scales. There are threads on warm up excercises and stuff.
I've been getting singing lessons for years on and off. They're great fun and some of the people who get them do start off really bad... so don't be embarrassed to get lessons if you really want to be able to sing. The teachershave probably heard much worse!
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
Okay thanks for all the help guys!
Can you tell the difference between notes? If yes, you are not tone deaf.

You just gotta work on your singing.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Being a shit singer and being tone deaf are two different things. Chances are, if you're a musician and you're not struggling to know whether you're hitting the right notes or not, you're not tone deaf.
Diet is often overlooked when it comes to improving singing. While practice is definately important, try taking omega 3 supplements (they helped me). Reputable studies have shown Omega 3 supplements have lead improvement in ADHD symptoms, including poor motor skills. Singing involves motor coordination and if thats the source of your singing issues, it worth a try. Give it 3 weeks.
Also, avoid dairy products before you sing as it causes mucous, warm tea is good for your voice, also exercise can help too.