Poll: Do people get fat from unhealthy diets or are they born that way?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do people get fat from unhealthy diets or are they born that way?
Unhealthy diets
156 72%
Born this way
17 8%
Other factors (specify)
44 20%
Voters: 217.
Page 1 of 5
So I saw an episode of this show called Plastic Makes Perfect. Its about these people that go under the knife to improve their image. They get things like breast implants and tummy tucks.
During the show, experiments are conducted to determine general behavior towards the image of others. For example, they will have a young and attractive woman pretend to have a petition for some cause and determine how many people sign their name. Afterward, they have the same woman dressed up with a fake nose or with fat under her clothes in order to make her seems less attractive and see how many people pay attention to her.
This one particular episode asked the question:

Do people get fat from unhealthy diets or are they born that way?

What do you guys think?
Some people are born with a tendecy to gain weight.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Mostly unhealthy diet combined with laziness, but genetics do play a part.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Don't eat shit and you won't gain weight. How you're brought up and the food you eat (given by parents) growing up plays the biggest part imo
I voted ''born this way'' but I wanted to click unhealty diets.
Gear:
----------------------
Jack and Danny Brothers Ls-5
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
Zoom g9.2tt (for sale (NL))
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
Both. Your eating behavior is triggered by blood sugar receptors throughout your body, which are a genetic factor, but you can also consciously eat too much without regard to feeling hungry.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
genetics play a big part i think
but with most it is only diet IMO
so i guess a combination of the two
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
Genetics has a fairly strong influence over weight gain. Some people have a fast metabolism whereas others are slower. Two people can be on the same diet but one may put on weight whereas the other doesn't, but it ultimately comes down to your dietary choices. People who have a predisposition to gain weight can prevent becoming obese through diet and exercise.

TL;DR: Unhealthy diets.
Castles made of sand
Fall to the sea
Eventually
The vast, VAST majority of overweight people are overweight because of their own poor decisions. It's a shame that we have come to value mental prowess and health so highly over physical prowess and health. I think that a much more balanced approach, such as taken by the Greeks, is appropriate. Fat people are the physical/fitness equivalent of a person who chooses to be ignorant and uneducated.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
Some people are born with a tendecy to gain weight.
Well, you're the right person to ask.
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
yeah genetics definitely have to do with metabolism and such and there are sometimes glandular problems but most times its diet and lifestyle
Rock on or die

Guitarist 5 years, Had purpose in life 5 years

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
My sister used to be thin, now she eats nought but fat food and sweets. She's now a fat ass.

A ginger fat ass.

I don't think her diet caused the gingerness, though.

Quote by Dreadnought
The vast, VAST majority of overweight people are overweight because of their own poor decisions. It's a shame that we have come to value mental prowess and health so highly over physical prowess and health. I think that a much more balanced approach, such as taken by the Greeks, is appropriate. Fat people are the physical/fitness equivalent of a person who chooses to be ignorant and uneducated.
What if you're not fat but also a lazy unfit shite?

Although you just reminded me of my fat biology teacher who refused to believe there was a genetic factor in intelligence but would also attribute her weight to genetics.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Last edited by TheBurningFish at Jun 10, 2011,
It's obviously unhealthy habits. How many people in poorer countries are overweight compared to the more developed countries?
Watched a bit of Embarrasing Fat Bodies this morning, which said it can be genetics, but in most cases it is unhealty diets. Or I guess steroids, but I think there are enough people who take steroids who can control their weightm so diet.
I'm not fat, I'm big boned
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
It's mostly unhealthy diets. There are other circumstances, in the case of dietary restrictions or other maladies (Cushing's = central body obesity), but for the most part, it's diet.
Quote by Lots O' FX
There's a guy named, I shit you not, Hunter Goldhammer. I have never met him, I only heard his name over the PA, but I assume he's a dwarf paladin.

Quote by skwelcher
I'm like the real life version of the socially awkward penguin.
I could eat a fat person and still be skinny, regardless of exercise. So I assume there are people the opposite way around.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
I am an unhealthy person and it is definitely because I am very lazy and eat unhealthy foods, not the fact that I was born with something that forced me to become overweight.
Quote by fail
I'm not fat, I'm big boned

Can't say I've ever seen a fat skeleton
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Although genetics play a part, I believe it's mostly just lifestyle. Not just how much a person eats, but what they choose to eat, and how active they are.
Quote by Saint78
Both.

this is the only right answer. The weight (olol) of each component is different for every individual, but both are a factor in wether you turn into a fatty or not.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by HelpTravesty
fat people are selfish and immoral

and skinny people taste delicious.... mmmm skinny pepole
You guys know that we all have genetically preset body weights, right? If we're over the preset weight then we're not motivated to eat as much until our weight decreases, and if we're under the preset weight we feel like eating more. So that "lifestyle" might really be due to the brain's fat management system.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by TheBurningFish
My sister used to be thin, now she eats nought but fat food and sweets. She's now a fat ass.

A ginger fat ass.

I don't think her diet caused the gingerness, though.

What if you're not fat but also a lazy unfit shite?

Although you just reminded me of my fat biology teacher who refused to believe there was a genetic factor in intelligence but would also attribute her weight to genetics.

Yeah what I said goes for the other end of the spectrum too... unhealthily skinny
My God, it's full of stars!
Why not both?

A large portion is some who's able to get bigger easier from genetics but they get bad habits and pass that on to their children. The children are then born with a genetic predisposition and a bad role model. I would blame bad decisions and lifestyle for the majority of it. I do have a friend who's pretty healthy but she's still bigger. At the same time I have a friend who was bigger and now he's pretty slim and fit because he kicked his bad habits.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
If it helps, I even blow off the attractive fundraising girls.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Lost Dog
I am an unhealthy person and it is definitely because I am very lazy and eat unhealthy foods, not the fact that I was born with something that forced me to become overweight.

Unhealthy life choices play a big part, but if your parents are overweight as well I would say that it's very likely that your genetics make you more likely to be overweight.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by FunkyDuck
That's like saying "I was born addicted to cigarettes."

No it's not. People that have genes that make them more likely to be overweight are more likely to have weight problems if they decide to lead an unhealthy lifestyle. My moms side of the family and my dads side of the family both have problems with being overweight. This means that if I was to stop working out and eating right that I would be more likely to have weight issues. Genetics doesn't play a huge part in it, but it's extremely ignorant to deny that it does have some effect.
Quote by L2112Lif
Page 1 of 5