Hey, guys.

As I was playing a little while ago, I felt a lot of, well, for lack of a better word, gunk. I can't really see anything, but I can feel a layer of unpleasant and uncomfortable grime. I wash my hands before I play religiously, so I'm kind of perplexed as to how this happened. Also, what you recommend for removal of said grime? I tried wiping it down with a dry cloth, but it didn't help all that much.

Thanks for the help.

You can get fret board cleaner, then every time you change strings you can use it.
Divider (Prog/Ambient Metal)

Guitars:
LTD TE-202
Schecter Sunset Extreme
Ibanez RG7321 w/ Crunch Lab & LiquiFire
Tanglewood Acoustic
Epiphone Acoustic (The Junker)
don't bring your guitar with you to funhouse taping sessions?

seriously, though, what's the guitar? what woods is it made of? what's the finish? you need to be careful you don't do something which hurts it, lol.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It's most likely sweat from playing. Even if you wash your hands, how do you think they keep getting dirty? They sweat. Wipe it down with a guitar polish or just a wet cloth, then dry it off.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Quote by Dave_Mc

seriously, though, what's the guitar? what woods is it made of? what's the finish? you need to be careful you don't do something which hurts it, lol.

Fender Classic Player Jaguar.

Maple neck.

Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish.
your neck probably has a really thick poly finish on it and makes it feel really sticky after playing for long periods or in hot conditions.

EDIT: oops posted to late. i thought the necks on these were poly which would prove my point but if you say its nitro i am clue less?
Last edited by redandwhite12 at Jun 10, 2011,
Quote by redandwhite12
your neck probably has a really thick poly finish on it and makes it feel really sticky after playing for long periods or in hot conditions.

EDIT: oops posted to late. i thought the necks on these were poly which would prove my point but if you say its nitro i am clue less?

It is, in fact, nitrocellulose.
This is what I use. Works on my fretboard, neck and body. Get gunk right off (but wait theres more. jk)

Use extra fine steel wool to clean the junk and oxidation off a fretboard.

Lemon oil is for conditioning old dry wood.
1. The SG stands for “solid guitar.”
are you sure it's nitro? i didn't think the classic players were nitro. certainly the fender website says that the current classic player jags are gloss urethane (though of course you might have an older model).

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah Fender only uses nitro on a few bodies and their necks are always urethane, even most of the Custom Shop models. I don't think there is a single non-MIA Fender that has a nitro finish on it. Even the Highway 1 models only have a thin layer of nitro sprayed over a standard finish.

Whetehr it's nitro or not really all you should use is a dry cloth, wipe the neck down after you're done playing. That dirt that is building up is from sweat and grease from your hands that is left to set. So long as you wipe it of immediately after you're done playing then it will never get a chance to build up. If the neck does have a urethane finish then you can use any of the various finish polish products out there to take off any built up grime, I like Dunlop and Gibson's products myself. If it IS a nitro finish then you're best off not trying anything, even just rubbing older nitro finishes with a dry cloth can cause them to wear down. Nitro finsihes are not made to look pretty for long.
Quote by Dave_Mc

FUN HOUSE!

TS - Pat Sharp recommends that you wipe down the back of the neck with a moist (moist, not dripping wet) cloth, then wipe down with a dry cloth. That little bit of moisture won't do any harm to a urethane finish and you don't need to go buying anything fancy.
Last edited by Duv at Jun 10, 2011,
ahahahahahahahahahaha

man pat sharp looks like his hair's been exposed to some moisture
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah that's weird. i'm guessing the store just made a mistake. if you go to the fender site it says gloss urethane.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
zOMG i'm still laughing at that haircut

what's even worse is i remember watching it when i was wee and it didn't seem that weird o_O
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It's still on TV. One of the real backwater Freeview channels shows repeats of lots of bad 90s game shows and they do kids ones in the mornings.

Pat may have looked ridiculous, but those twins? DAYMN.
yeah it's probably on challenge

i'm still pissed they haven't put knightmare on again. that show kicked all kinds of ass. and it was so hard.

"you stepped half a step too far to the side? DIE DIE DIE DIE!"

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Knightmare was immense. I never understood what the hell was going on but it was great. I need to track down some Fun House if it's on TV as you say.

I think there's a new version of Knightmare on BBC. I think I remember seeing it at some point. It's just not the same though.

EDIT: Look what I just found http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bwK5H8Ui-E

Sorry TS for taking your thread back to 90s English Kids TV
wah a new knightmare?

I mean i know there were a bunch of series. I watched it from the start though

sweet find on youtube
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Used to happen ALL THE TIME with my old Les Paul Custom. Its usually from sweat, just dry it off with a rag with guitar polish on it. Sometimes it helps just to go over the neck with a dry rag after you play guitar for 20 or minutes, it definately helps keep the gunk to a minimum
oh ok

yeah that presenter dude scared the crap out of me (in my defence i was about 8).

i'm halfway through the second episode now thanks again for the link
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?