What techniques did movie composers use when they were asked to create background instrumental? (accidentals, progressions....etc)
What pieces can I analyze?
Thanks

Edit: The genre of movie is scary.
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Last edited by Metallicuh at Jun 10, 2011,
you may have to be more specific. What genre of movie? What is happening in the scene or is it a main theme?
I can't pretend to know much about music for film, but I'd imagine the techniques always depend on what's on the screen at the time.

As for pieces to analyse, I'd have to say:
'Lux Aeterna' by Clint Eastwood, used in the film Requiem For A Dream, and
'East Hastings' by Godspeed You! Black Emperor, used in the film 28 Days Later.
Scary movie
I thought I put that..my bad
Idea of it is just ghosts and shit like that
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Last edited by Metallicuh at Jun 10, 2011,
Generally each important character will have a motif that is played to cue an event involving them on screen, this is called a leitmotif. The composer will change and manipulate this motif depending on the mood of the scene.

I'd post more but I'm about to go out, I'll post in more detail with examples later.

In the mean time look up composers who used the 'classical scoring model'. Max Steiner, Erich Korngold...

Film noir

Bernard Herrmann colab with Hitchcock.

Pop scoring

John Williams and the return to classical scoring model.

Modern film composers such as Hans Zimmer, Brian tyler, who make extensive use of percussion and mix in modern instruments with the orchestra.

If you're interested in Horror scoring definitely check out Bernard Herrmann, John Carpenter and Jerry Goldsmith.
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Jun 11, 2011,
Quote by Metallicuh
What techniques did movie composers use when they were asked to create background instrumental? (accidentals, progressions....etc)
What pieces can I analyze?
Thanks

Edit: The genre of movie is scary.

I'd start with knowing my chords at least to the 4 part harmony level. Then I'd also study species counterpoint and SATB writing and 4 part chorale writing.

From there study pieces that interest you in the kind of ideas that you seek to understand.

Best,

Sean