Hey all, I am interested to see other peoples experiences with the Ibanez RG2570MZ.

(Image is from the official Ibanez website.)

I've failed to find a decent review so far. Ibanez RG's have never really caught my attention but I have never had a decent play on a Prestige neck.

So what are your views on this guitar UG? How is the Edge-Zero trem compared to say an OFR? Would it benefit in a pickup change? Is the craftsmanship up to standard?

Any Ibanez Prestige guitar is amazing. There's no reason this one wouldn't be any different. The Edge Zero is just as good as an OFR if not better. Just curious, What type of music are you going to be playing?
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
I have an RG370DX, not with an edge-zero trem, or the prestige neck, or the same pickups.....any questions? I doubt the wizard neck is hugely different and I find the edge III to be just fine.
Quote by conor-figgy
I have an RG370DX, not with an edge-zero trem, or the prestige neck, or the same pickups.....any questions? I doubt the wizard neck is hugely different and I find the edge III to be just fine.

Ummm... Apple to oranges is what you just did
Gear:
MXR CAE WAH
Quote by conor-figgy
Yeah I knows
I forgive you lulz
Gear:
MXR CAE WAH
prestige guitar are just great
ive never played one that i didnt like
imo the edge zero bridge is better than an ofr(i didnt like how it felt

the ibanez pups are the only complaint i have with them always chnage them out
but i think i see on those have dymarzio on them so they should be fine
Quote by DamagingExcess
Any Ibanez Prestige guitar is amazing. There's no reason this one wouldn't be any different. The Edge Zero is just as good as an OFR if not better. Just curious, What type of music are you going to be playing?

I play a bit of everything really so there are a wide range of tones involved. I am currently delving more and more into the world of jazz to incorporate into metal playing and Satch/Vai style playing, which is why I am turning my attention to Ibanez as I've heard a lot about their great versatility.. Favorite bands/artists of songs I most enjoy would be Joe Satriani, Lamb of God, David Gilmour, Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin, Stevie Ray Vaughan etc.
Quote by supersac
prestige guitar are just great
ive never played one that i didnt like
imo the edge zero bridge is better than an ofr(i didnt like how it felt

the ibanez pups are the only complaint i have with them always chnage them out
but i think i see on those have dymarzio on them so they should be fine

They are Dimarzio - IBZ pickups so I'm not sure about them, never played a guitar with a set of them.
I would be prepared to change to a more suitable set of Dimarzio's if needed but I'm not too worried about pickups at this stage.
Every Prestige I have played with a maple fingerboard has been excellent. I own an RG because the necks feel right to me. I have never played this exact model, but I can safely say that that guitar will do whatever you need it to do.

The SD IBZ buckers are competent pups, but an upgrade will obviously help the sound of the guitar. The IBZ single coils, from my experience, are crap. If you ever plan on using it you will definitely have to upgrade it.

IMO nothing is better than an OFR, but again thats just my opinion. The Edge Zero should be fine if you take care of it. I woudn't shy away from buying it because of the tremblo.
Different pups would be the only thing I would change.
A bunch of RG's
]Ibanez RG2550Z
1990 Ibanez rg550
ZW Buzzsaw
Ibanez: s470
Jackson: RR Flying V
Charvel: 90's model sunburst
Jackson Stealth
Mesa Boogie Solo 50
Sunn cab
Quote by leo4sf
IMO nothing is better than an OFR, but again thats just my opinion. The Edge Zero should be fine if you take care of it. I woudn't shy away from buying it because of the tremblo.

I havn't heard anything bad about the quality of the Edge-Zero, nothing compared to the complaints about the Edge III anyway. But I'm not about to judge so I will have to go into the music store and try a guitar with an Edge-Zero trem.

Quote by drivermod
Different pups would be the only thing I would change.

Yeah I would probably change to a higher output Dimarzio set if I didn't find the stock pickups suitable.
My S Prestige has a Wizard Prestige neck... very comfy... not quite as thin as a regular Wizard II but not really noticeable unless you're realllllly intimate with the Wizards on non-prestiges. That said, they're great necks and you can really feel the difference in craftsmanship between a prestige and a non-prestige Indonesian model.

The DiMarzio/Ibz pickups are really not as horrid as many people will make them out to be. They are legit DiMarzio's wound by DiMarzio themselves in their USA factory and, while they aren't the name brands like the Evo's and such, they are wound as such and have the same basic properties as legit DiMarzio's because... well... they are. If you check DiMarzio's site there's a spot talking about the DiMazrio/Ibz pups and how they are wound and which pickups they make that most closely resemble them so they are indeed good pickups (even though they may lack the output that would be desired from someone who is used to active pickups or high output passives like the X2N or D-Activator or something along those lines). I've very much enjoyed mine and since I'm not much of an active pickup guy, I've never seriously thought about changing them out.

As far as the Edge Zero goes, I've played a lot with the trem on the Ibanez RG Premium (an Edge Zero II) and it was very stable indeed... aside from grabbing your bar and suspending your guitar with it and other ridiculous stunts, there is no part of my mind which would imagine it being not as stable as an OFR if set up correctly. Hell, the ZR on my S is a stable trem and the Edge Zero is the same basic design save for the knife edges as opposed to the ZR's ball bearing design. The cavity, the ZPS (which I'd take off if you plan on using the trem anyway... don't wanna bust things haha), and the fine tuners are all exactly the same as the ZR design wise right down to the intonation tool. So yeah, the Edge Zero, from what I've played with it, is a fine trem system.

As far as quality goes, if it says prestige on it, it's going to be very good... my S prestige from 2008 was made when they did the S series Prestiges in Korea and it's immaculate and stunning. Many around here would say that the Korean Prestige's aren't built to the same standards (something I'd debate by the way considering the quality and build of my own but hey... maybe I got "lucky" as many would say haha) so being concerned about the build quality and craftsmanship of the Japanese model Prestige's is certainly unwarranted. Apart from J Custom's, the Ibanez Prestige line has some of the most well crafted guitars on the market right now IMHO so you'll be fine. Don't worry man... RG Prestige's are friggen wonderful instruments and will last you a long long time... you won't regret it. At first, you'll feel a little queazy about spending so much on a guitar but after playing it for a few days, you realize why they're as pricey as they are... at least I did. Enjoy it man and good luck if you pull the trigger on it!
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Quote by Krauser
My S Prestige has a Wizard Prestige neck... very comfy... not quite as thin as a regular Wizard II but not really noticeable unless you're realllllly intimate with the Wizards on non-prestiges. That said, they're great necks and you can really feel the difference in craftsmanship between a prestige and a non-prestige Indonesian model.

The DiMarzio/Ibz pickups are really not as horrid as many people will make them out to be. They are legit DiMarzio's wound by DiMarzio themselves in their USA factory and, while they aren't the name brands like the Evo's and such, they are wound as such and have the same basic properties as legit DiMarzio's because... well... they are. If you check DiMarzio's site there's a spot talking about the DiMazrio/Ibz pups and how they are wound and which pickups they make that most closely resemble them so they are indeed good pickups (even though they may lack the output that would be desired from someone who is used to active pickups or high output passives like the X2N or D-Activator or something along those lines). I've very much enjoyed mine and since I'm not much of an active pickup guy, I've never seriously thought about changing them out.

As far as the Edge Zero goes, I've played a lot with the trem on the Ibanez RG Premium (an Edge Zero II) and it was very stable indeed... aside from grabbing your bar and suspending your guitar with it and other ridiculous stunts, there is no part of my mind which would imagine it being not as stable as an OFR if set up correctly. Hell, the ZR on my S is a stable trem and the Edge Zero is the same basic design save for the knife edges as opposed to the ZR's ball bearing design. The cavity, the ZPS (which I'd take off if you plan on using the trem anyway... don't wanna bust things haha), and the fine tuners are all exactly the same as the ZR design wise right down to the intonation tool. So yeah, the Edge Zero, from what I've played with it, is a fine trem system.

As far as quality goes, if it says prestige on it, it's going to be very good... my S prestige from 2008 was made when they did the S series Prestiges in Korea and it's immaculate and stunning. Many around here would say that the Korean Prestige's aren't built to the same standards (something I'd debate by the way considering the quality and build of my own but hey... maybe I got "lucky" as many would say haha) so being concerned about the build quality and craftsmanship of the Japanese model Prestige's is certainly unwarranted. Apart from J Custom's, the Ibanez Prestige line has some of the most well crafted guitars on the market right now IMHO so you'll be fine. Don't worry man... RG Prestige's are friggen wonderful instruments and will last you a long long time... you won't regret it. At first, you'll feel a little queazy about spending so much on a guitar but after playing it for a few days, you realize why they're as pricey as they are... at least I did. Enjoy it man and good luck if you pull the trigger on it!

Thank you for a very detailed reply!

Regarding the pickups; they are the least of my worries at this stage. I own an Ashton electric that is I would say at least 10 years old, it still has the stock pickups and I still manage to make it sound alright. Pickups can be changed easy enough and like you found, the Dimarzio/IBZ set maybe fine anyway.

I would have to play a guitar with and Edge-Zero to get the feel of it. I would use the whammy bar more for a wide vibrato or raising or lowering pitch more than a bend would allow. I definitely wouldn't use it as a handle to hold the guitar. As long as it is a long lasting, stable bridge that holds the tuning it should be good.

As for the quality goes, I guess my main concern would be the finish and the neck join. But as you say, it is a Prestige instrument and I'm sure it is up to standard.
not trying to get off topic or to sway you away, but i have found i like EBMM axis's, wolfgangs (i am sorry everybody i dont know how i just keep on w*horing out wolfgangs tonight), and Charvels better than the Ibby presteiges, that is just my opionion, and i am not trying to hijack, but am just listing some other guitar to try out before you drop the $$$.

however, i have been impressed with every prestige i have tried out for about five minutes, until my hand starts cramping from the thin necks. but that is just me. i like thinker necks. i will also agree with the general consensus is that the pickups are IMO subpar in relation to everything else that presteiges. but there is a reason why i own wolfgangs, its because thats what i like better.

sorry to go off topic, just thought i would throw you some ideas.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
not trying to get off topic or to sway you away, but i have found i like EBMM axis's, wolfgangs (i am sorry everybody i dont know how i just keep on w*horing out wolfgangs tonight), and Charvels better than the Ibby presteiges, that is just my opionion, and i am not trying to hijack, but am just listing some other guitar to try out before you drop the $$$.

however, i have been impressed with every prestige i have tried out for about five minutes, until my hand starts cramping from the thin necks. but that is just me. i like thinker necks. i will also agree with the general consensus is that the pickups are IMO subpar in relation to everything else that presteiges. but there is a reason why i own wolfgangs, its because thats what i like better.

sorry to go off topic, just thought i would throw you some ideas.

Thanks for the other suggestions. I am still keeping my options open, this thread was just to get opinions on the Ibanez. There is the money factor, and there is a considerable difference between the price of the Ibanez and the guitars you have mentioned. My guitar tutor owns an EVH Wolfgang and it feels and sounds wicked, but I'm not prepared to pay the sky high price at this stage.
i just have this to say. That is one gorgeous guitar. Pure eye candy.
Quote by Dpullam
i just have this to say. That is one gorgeous guitar. Pure eye candy.

She definitely caught my eye too
Quote by HeadlessCross
Thanks for the other suggestions. I am still keeping my options open, this thread was just to get opinions on the Ibanez. There is the money factor, and there is a considerable difference between the price of the Ibanez and the guitars you have mentioned. My guitar tutor owns an EVH Wolfgang and it feels and sounds wicked, but I'm not prepared to pay the sky high price at this stage.

the EVH branded wolfgangs are a ripoff, both models. you can pick up a used american peavey wolfgang special for $400-$450. dare i say the peavey's are better guitars than the EVH branded ones. i have played all of them at one point or another.

oh and the Peavey wolfgang trem own anything ibanez has ever made, they have something crazy like a 3/8" or 1/4" baseplate, knife edges are beautiful on a seven year old guitar that has done a fair share of its duty.

but again just a thought to keep the options open.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by HeadlessCross
Thank you for a very detailed reply!

Regarding the pickups; they are the least of my worries at this stage. I own an Ashton electric that is I would say at least 10 years old, it still has the stock pickups and I still manage to make it sound alright. Pickups can be changed easy enough and like you found, the Dimarzio/IBZ set maybe fine anyway.

I would have to play a guitar with and Edge-Zero to get the feel of it. I would use the whammy bar more for a wide vibrato or raising or lowering pitch more than a bend would allow. I definitely wouldn't use it as a handle to hold the guitar. As long as it is a long lasting, stable bridge that holds the tuning it should be good.

As for the quality goes, I guess my main concern would be the finish and the neck join. But as you say, it is a Prestige instrument and I'm sure it is up to standard.

Yeah I don't have a problem with the DiMarzio/Ibz's. It's all preference with pickups anyway and the amp you play through will have more of an effect on your tone than the pups, but still, they are rather good.

And yeah, for those uses (like vibrato and pitch bending), it's more than adequate. My ZR handles very heavy use (divebombs, flutters, and general wanking) extremely well and vibratos and pitch bending is nothing for it to handle. So I couldn't image the Edge-Zero would be any less able as it's practically the same design. Don't worry, it will be more than adequate for those uses.

And while I've encountered Prestige models whose finishes I didn't personally like appearance wise, I have yet to run into one whose finish isn't of outstanding quality. The paintwork and the overall finish is always superb and the neck joints for the bolt on models are phenomenally well fitted with the body cavity extremely well routed so everything is as close and tight as possible. The neck thru models are also sounded, routed, and finished extremely well.

With the Prestige models, your worry shouldn't be the craftsmanship but choosing the model that's right for you. If you can't play one first, playing a standard RG that is close will give you a basic idea of the Prestige model feel wise and when you actually play the Prestige, you'll notice the difference. It really is night and day in my opinion. You (me at least) just play better and more naturally on one.
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Quote by Krauser
Yeah I don't have a problem with the DiMarzio/Ibz's. It's all preference with pickups anyway and the amp you play through will have more of an effect on your tone than the pups, but still, they are rather good.

And yeah, for those uses (like vibrato and pitch bending), it's more than adequate. My ZR handles very heavy use (divebombs, flutters, and general wanking) extremely well and vibratos and pitch bending is nothing for it to handle. So I couldn't image the Edge-Zero would be any less able as it's practically the same design. Don't worry, it will be more than adequate for those uses.

And while I've encountered Prestige models whose finishes I didn't personally like appearance wise, I have yet to run into one whose finish isn't of outstanding quality. The paintwork and the overall finish is always superb and the neck joints for the bolt on models are phenomenally well fitted with the body cavity extremely well routed so everything is as close and tight as possible. The neck thru models are also sounded, routed, and finished extremely well.

With the Prestige models, your worry shouldn't be the craftsmanship but choosing the model that's right for you. If you can't play one first, playing a standard RG that is close will give you a basic idea of the Prestige model feel wise and when you actually play the Prestige, you'll notice the difference. It really is night and day in my opinion. You (me at least) just play better and more naturally on one.

Thanks again. It makes it more comforting to know that the Prestige models will live up to their reputation. I will find the time to head to an Ibanez dealer and try out a model with the similar (if not the same) parts as the RG2570.

On the local music store's website I have also found the price of an RG2550. All parts/dimensions are exactly the same as the RG2570 with the only difference being the finish (Galaxy Black rather than Caribbean Blue Lagoon.) They don't list the price of the RG2570 but I'm thinking it would be very similar, although I have come across cases where there is a considerable gap between two prices because you are paying more for the finish.