When you guys started out, did you guys usually learn songs all the way through. I've been playing for 1.5 years, and don't get me wrong I know a decent amount of (easier) songs fully, but usually I'd rather learn licks or riffs and try and incorporate that into my own playing and stuff. I've been working a lot of writing and improvising. Still, when I play in front of other people the fact that I don't know many impressive full songs seems to make me feel like a crappy player. What do u guys generally do?
Quote by benn913
When you guys started out, did you guys usually learn songs all the way through. I've been playing for 1.5 years, and don't get me wrong I know a decent amount of (easier) songs fully, but usually I'd rather learn licks or riffs and try and incorporate that into my own playing and stuff. I've been working a lot of writing and improvising. Still, when I play in front of other people the fact that I don't know many impressive full songs seems to make me feel like a crappy player. What do u guys generally do?

i always felt that it's really important to learn full songs. Licks and riffs are important for improving your technique too, but when you learn songs, don't just learn your favorite parts, learn the whole song. You learn how the song fits together and get a better understanding of how those riffs and licks in the song work so well in their contexts.
You should start learning full songs, dude.
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Well it honestly depends on why you're playing the guitar. If you want to make a living by playing music, you should definitely focus on writing and learn songs if you're dissatisfied with your works. If not, definitely learn more songs.

As for what I do when playing in front of friends, I play stuff people know, usually from the Top 40. When I play for me, I learn whatever the hell I want or try to create a cool cover version.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.