I plan on getting a job this summer and I've been looking at a few guitars to maybe save up for.

One of these guitars is the Mosrite Ventures guitar. My question is, would I be better off buying the actual model made by Mosrite or the cheaper version (copy?) made by Eastwood guitars.

Mosrite Ventures: http://www.mosriteguitars.com/models.html

Eastwood model: http://eastwoodguitars.com/GTRs/sidejack-DLX/images/sidejack-dlx-big/0320sidejackdlxblackFINAL.jpg

Are there any other copies of the guitar I could look at?
From a thread asking if it is safe to tell someone the serial number on your amp:
Quote by JAHellraiser
omg dont do it! he can hack your amp get the b00tiful t00b t0anz
i would say it would be better to get the real deal. They are really beautiful! which color are you looking at getting? the red and blue ones sure are perdy!
There's only like two stores in the US that stock actual Mosrites (besides vintage/used). And the only one that ships across the country is Ed Roman in Las Vegas and (1) he's a complete tool and (2) buying from him is expensive as balls.

I'd personally go the Eastwood route, but I know that there's a guy on the forums (I can't remember his name) that could tell you everything about Mosrites, and he'd say that the Eastwoods don't sound anything like real Mosrites. But I personally wouldn't care cause I don't even know what a Mosrite's supposed to sound like.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by zenbone
i would say it would be better to get the real deal. They are really beautiful! which color are you looking at getting? the red and blue ones sure are perdy!

I was looking at getting the one in red. But I decided to look more at a used Eastwood. Why used? The older issues of the guitar have a stop bar fixed bridge, and I would prefer to not have a tremolo bar.
From a thread asking if it is safe to tell someone the serial number on your amp:
Quote by JAHellraiser
omg dont do it! he can hack your amp get the b00tiful t00b t0anz
Quote by kangaxxter
There's only like two stores in the US that stock actual Mosrites (besides vintage/used). And the only one that ships across the country is Ed Roman in Las Vegas and (1) he's a complete tool and (2) buying from him is expensive as balls.

I'd personally go the Eastwood route, but I know that there's a guy on the forums (I can't remember his name) that could tell you everything about Mosrites, and he'd say that the Eastwoods don't sound anything like real Mosrites. But I personally wouldn't care cause I don't even know what a Mosrite's supposed to sound like.

Yeah, That's me and yes I do search for "Mosrite" In the search bar... So here I am to fill the OP in.

Eastwoods do not sound like Mosrite guitars at all. I played one in 2008, I put it back on the wall and waited about 3 years before I bought a real Mosrite like the Mark V that Ricky H Wilson (My favorite guitarist) Played. And my model still doesn't have its electronics (I bought it as a project) And I can tell that it has the sound I wanted!

Anyway, The other store in America that stocks reissue Mosrites is Front Porch Music in Bakersfield, California. The website is www.frontporchmusic.net And the store owner, Artie, Has a big vintage Mosrite collection.

Also, Here's a song in which one can hear the sound of a Mosrite Mark V. The pitch is off though, Sadly - Its too low. I'm not sure how big the sound difference is between the Ventures and Mark V models.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEt8u33x8SA&feature=related

And OP, If you want a copy then you can look into a Hallmark 60 Custom. They're affordable - $1,000 - And they come with a case.

www.hallmarkguitars.com

However, If you don't want a Hallmark and still want a Mosrite reissue you could go with a Mosrite Gospel Mark V reissue. I've seen them as low as $900 on eBay.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Jun 13, 2011,
This month's Premier Guitar has a review of the Hallmark Johnny Ramone Signature. They gave it 4/5 and said "This is a great guitar for chugging punk, garage rock, and fuzzy indie." It may be worth a gander.