While I'm sure most of you guys don't really listen to this type of music, my band wants to cover August Burns Red's new song Internal Cannon and while I usually use tabs to learn songs (although I can read sheet music) there don't seem to be any for this song yet, which got me thinking....how do you guys know what the bass is doing/on what frets/etc if it isnt playing root notes/main riff/etc and it's been almost completely mixed out? I, for the life of me, can't figure out how people learn songs by ear like that.....I've heard people say that it's an acquired skill but you ant even hear the bass??? How can you possibly know so much about the song just by listening to it, not to mention distortion further clouds the notes. Now I haven't been playing long (just started in August) but I was hoping you guys could clear that up.....
practice. once you've played for a while you can just tell what notes they're playing. knowing what key they're in helps, or be born with perfect pitch haha
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Quote by bassman10101
practice. once you've played for a while you can just tell what notes they're playing. knowing what key they're in helps, or be born with perfect pitch haha

This. It took me like, 2 years or so of playing bass, but I can hear what notes the bass is playing pretty well in most songs where, before, I couldn't even hear the bass. So just keep training your ear by listening to songs, and focus on the bass. It'll get easier soon!
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
In metalcore, if you can't hear the bass, they're probably following the main riff or doing something you really don't need to hear anyway. Just find the key and write your own bass lines and you'll be in good shape.
modes are a social construct
if it playing root notes its most likely following the guitar. Just play whatever notes the guitar is playing that doesnt take to long to figure out once you do it a little bit at a time.
My Gear:

Fretless Squier P Bass
Ibanez SR400QM
Gallien Krueger 1001RB
Traynor TC410
Digitech Whammy
Boss DD-7
prolly not. lol just improv, if it sounds good do it.
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
What you really need, is a new amp.

Learning some chord theory, like all theory, will help you with the improv.

So you learn the guitars power chords, or chords (I'm assuming power chords for that bad metal....) Then apply some basic chord theory. Since power chords are tonally neutral, you can take the bass improv anywhere.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Well...normally I wouldn't have much of a problem with it but it's not chords, they're just playing notes
Quote by Bobfred75
Well...normally I wouldn't have much of a problem with it but it's not chords, they're just playing notes

My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Quote by bassman10101

Yeah...I'm not too smart about this kinda stuff so I bet I look like a pretty big idiot to you guys but I figured I'd ask anyways
quality sound system.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
What I meant is simple: notes make up chords. You use those same notes to improv a wicked bass line.

Like an arpeggio, but not.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
I agree with everything posted above. But messing around with the EQ so the bass is louder always helps as well.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Quote by the humanity
quality sound system.

This, or quality headphones.

Usually with that type of music, the bass is somewhat hard to hear but it's usually just following the main guitar line. Unfortunately the sound guy does a poor job mixing in the bass like 90% of all sound guys and you might have trouble hearing it sometimes.

You can get by just pumping out the root notes, but it'd be more fun to actually try and learn the guitar riffs. This is what I do or try adding in your own idea of what the bass riff should be, provided it doesn't clash with the guitar part.
pinga