i got a fat check coming my way and am about 90% sure i want a SLO.

so SLO owners, is it really the end all to high gain?

what is a good used price for a slo?

how do you find out if the transferable warranty is still valid and that it hasn't been modded by anybody other than soldano?

i know a few of you got them. i will still be keeping all of my other gear. so still will have the splawns, etc.

what speakers do they sound best with? i know the Soldano cabs come with Emience Wizzards, correct?

i would prefer using a cabinet i already have (i have 11 cabs counting however many 4x12"s two 2x12"s and one 1x12""). and i don't have room for a soldano 4x12"

the rest of the money will probably be going into that new barritone LP that gibson is putting out this year, so would prefer not going with the cabinet.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
i didnt know anyone so close to me had a splawn as well thats crazy i live in st.pete
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
my old slo has made it's way to two other people right now.

i think ippon liked it.

now greg has it, i think. and greg likes it.

i liked it.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
my old slo has made it's way to two other people right now.

i think ippon liked it.

now greg has it, i think. and greg likes it.

i liked it.

anything better for under $2500 used for some brootz?

i have always dug SLO's so i will probably be going that route.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
There is no "end all" amp. It's a bitchin high gain amp. There are other bitchin high gain amps that just sound different.

I will say this for the SLO--though it's a high gain amp, I think it handles cleans, low gain, and med gain fantastically.
The SLO is not a br00tz amp, period. While the tones can be coaxed out of it, it is a lead amp and should be used as such; the Depth mod does wonders for that amp and I wouldn't buy one without it.

That being said, if you're looking for a kickass high gain rhythm tone, the Hot Rod Avenger kicks ass and is by far my favorite Soldano, especially considering the price.

I sold my SLO and bought my Diezel Herbert for $100 more. Couldn't be more happy, IMO the Herbert slays the SLO.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jun 11, 2011,
Quote by MatrixClaw
The SLO is not a br00tz amp, period. While the tones can be coaxed out of it, it is a lead amp and should be used as such; the Depth mod does wonders for that amp and I wouldn't buy one without it.

That being said, if you're looking for a kickass high gain rhythm tone, the Hot Rod Avenger kicks ass and is by far my favorite Soldano, especially considering the price.

I sold my SLO and bought my Diezel Herbert for $100 more. Couldn't be more happy, IMO the Herbert slays the SLO.
Correct!

Decatone.

Lots of opinions indeed. The VH4 slays the Herbert.

Quote by Ippon
Correct!

Decatone.

Lots of opinions indeed. The VH4 slays the Herbert.

I'll admit, I've never tried the Decatone, but they don't seem to have as good of a reputation as the other Soldanos for some reason. I've never seen one in person, no one carries them

As for the VH4 vs. Herbert comment, if you say so I've heard some great recordings of the VH4, but based off the ones I've tried before, I wouldn't pay a dime over $1500 for one. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice sounding amp, but for the price they cost, it's totally not worth it It also confuses me as to why the VH4 is more expensive in the US than the Herbert, when the Herbert is more expensive in Europe....

P.S. Yes, I like smilies
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jun 11, 2011,
Ya what mclaw said. It's no brootz amp. It'll do hair metal, bluzack, 90s alt rock all day but it's an 80s amp. Probably the best production 80s amp.

Diezels are good. I like the pitbull ul.
They are great amps that sound good. No it is not the end all to amps, but it is as solid as you can get. As stated it is more a lead amp not a rithym amp. The SLO 100 sound is a lot like a 5150 (the 5150 was made after the design and tone of the SLO 100) but IMO is a much more articulate amp than the 5150. If your lookin to drop that much cash look into Bogner Extacy/Uberschall. The SLO was the meanest amp made 20+ yrs ago, but now it is a good amp with great build quality.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Seref
There is no "end all" amp. It's a bitchin high gain amp. There are other bitchin high gain amps that just sound different.

I will say this for the SLO--though it's a high gain amp, I think it handles cleans, low gain, and med gain fantastically.

+infinity
See if you can try one out. If you like the tone, take it. Else look at some other amp.
EDIT: From youtube vids, I daresay the SLO with a boost can do some amazing djent
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Jun 11, 2011,
what Seref, Matrix, Ippon, and AM said.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by MatrixClaw

100% true. When I played AMs SLO I didn't feel that chunky high gain rhythm sound that my Baron and his UL had. It was very dry but like everyone said it's good for lead tones.

I only play br00tz and it wasn't for me.

Also on the Diezel note I think I'd rather have the Hagen. Just has a little more crunch and compression than the Herbert and I've been getting into that type of tone recently. My K88 is loaded with EL34s at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_yt8g5m1_E
Last edited by kylendm at Jun 11, 2011,
I've never had first-hand experience with an SLO, but if you play around with the Hot Rod or Avenger, you can get some pretty heavy sounds out of it. I mean, it's not like your typical run-of-the-mill generic death metal tone you hear everywhere these days, but it is more than suitable for those genres. It's heavy enough for brootz but it's a different sound than what you'd usually be expecting.

It's still a good sound, though. Something to look into if you're looking for something different from the norm.
a lot of posts to reply to here so here are some of them.

i guess i misused brootz, i realize it is not a death metal amp, i was thinking more djent, that youtube vid is what i think of when i think of slo.

i have the nitro for the more brootzy stuff.

i have not been able to locate a Diezel yet that i would be able to try, i hear great things, its just that i would like to play one first. but i would love to have a herbert given the opportunity.

i like the VHT/Fryette, as far as the Pitbull UL's i really like them, but again would love to try one.

i don't have issue buying blindly, but if i have the option to try it out, i damn sure will take it.

for the tampa/orlando area being so highly populated, there are no guitar boutiques anywhere that i have found, its kind of a disappoinement. i frequent two guitar centers, none of which bring anything decent used in, but i never give up hope.

another thing that is a goal with this purchase, its that it has to fit a spot i don't have covered. and also with the building of the studio going (got plenty more to get figured out between now and then, now i am just collecting the fun stuff), i can see a SLO100 being a saught after amp to draw customers in. so that is always a conscious thought.

so basically i want to find something under $2500 used commonly found that will cover a lot of ground that isn't covered by what i got.

also just as an FYI i am in the process of building the more vintagey amps, like the 18 watt, the jtm45, then i will be working on a twin, and probably a supro. just as i complete them in the mean time.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
just build a slo.

it's not much harder then what you're building.

it's basically 2 jtm45s squashed together anyway.
^

slocloneforums has the schematic and a full parts list. They estimate ~$750 for the whole build without headcab.
Quote by AcousticMirror
just build a slo.

it's not much harder then what you're building.

it's basically 2 jtm45s squashed together anyway.
This! Min can build you one, but not for $750 that cloners approximate. Min only uses the most boutique components. Or, I can sell you 1 of my remaining 2. I'm keeping the original I got from Min.
Quote by Ippon
This! Min can build you one, but not for $750 that cloners approximate. Min only uses the most boutique components. Or, I can sell you 1 of my remaining 2. I'm keeping the original I got from Min.

wut i thought greg had that amp.

you guys are playing some sort of game!!?! naaaarg!?!

i actually don't think that 750 estimate counts the onetics...

those are 550 plus the chassis is 100 plus the pec's are another 100. So...I think it would be a 1000 at least for a spec on clone.
Ya my buddy did good work on that slo and i rolled tubes in there forever.

everybody slo slo.

i need to get my slo done. i miss waking up in the morning and getting zinged in the face by the 80s.
Derek, it sounds like you just want a SLO to attract business. I'd say if that is the case a DYI clone may not cut it. Do you think you will have a demand for recording 80's type rock? I didn't check vid sorry. Also I thought there WAS a high end amp shop in Orlando area?
Quote by AcousticMirror
ya if it ever gets built. I need a worldwide dive in the price of teflon.

well as long as you don't go using it all up making dirt pushers, you should be fine.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
no i need more reason for people to invest in teflon. not less.

cover yourself in teflon.