Just curious if anyone knew some of the pros an cons of the various woods, for example: mahogany is good for "higher" tunings because the is so warm it'll make it sound larger, plus be aide of the density it'll have better sustain as opposed to basswood

Woods I'm talking about consist of: basswood, alder, swamp ash, mahogany (your thoughts)

Also, what wood do you think is best for lower drop tunings (like drop D(flat) and drop C) and baritone tunings ( think A flat standard or lower)

Just curious as to your thoughts

PS: I know pickups have a lot to do, but I mean regardless of pups
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
The pros and cons of woods are all subjective really.
For lower tunings, a lot of people prefer a brighter sound, to offset the darkness that you can get with lower tunings and longer scale lengths. Maple is generally a good choice of neck wood for lower tunings, and alder or ash bodies are nice too, although mahogany with a maple neck is a good combination too, if you use bright pickups (which most high output pickups are)
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
you can talk about your poplar, and brazilian rosewood. you can talk about swamp grown ash.
But if you want to know the greatest tone wood in the world, then agathis is the greatest wood alive.
"When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die"
I'd just like to defend agathis here.

- Yes, it's cheap. So what?
- Readily available
- Sounds almost as good as alder

Most people just don't like it because it's cheap. There are better woods out there, but agathis isn't terrible and sounds a lot like an alder guitar.

A lot of people just don't like it because it's cheap. It's not about money, it's about what you get out of your gear.

[Yes, I have a guitar made of agathis.]
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by kolonelkadat
But if you want to know the greatest tone wood in the world, then agathis is the greatest wood alive.

No, its not. There is no such thing as the greatest tonewood in the world.
To kolonelkadat, agathis is incredibly hit and miss, and finding it used in a decent instrument is exeedingly rare because of this.

To be honest, wood has little-moderate impact on tone when it comes to electric guitars.

As a general rule, deeper instrument brigher wood and vice versa. Although you can mix and match wood types on the one guitar to get a good tone, like mahogany body and neck with maple top or someshit.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
Quote by littlephil
No, its not. There is no such thing as the greatest tonewood in the world.

+1

There's no such thing as the best tonewood since people are opinionated on the woods they and don't like.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Yeah this kinda thread is pretty stupid.
Someone might hate alder because its bright and another might love alder because its bright same with mahogany etc... One may like it because of the darker tone while another may dislike it..

Ya...
Quote by Nimbus456
To kolonelkadat, agathis is incredibly hit and miss, and finding it used in a decent instrument is exeedingly rare because of this.

Looks like I scored a HIT with my RG120. Thank god I played it in the store first.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by littlephil
The pros and cons of woods are all subjective really.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?