Hey guys, I've been playing acoustic guitar for about 6 months, I'm not very good yet but I've decided to buy an electric. I'm thinking about getting a used Hagstrom Swede and a VOX VT20+. From what I've seen the Hag is well made and has very nice clean tones. The VOX VT20+ seems very good and has a bunch of different models and effects to play around with. That would cost me around $500 AUD all up, which is all I'm willing to pay. There are 2 used Hags I can find, a white Swede for $300, and a Cherry Super Swede that's up for auction (but for arguments sake lets say it will be a bit cheaper). The thing is the Cherry Super Swede has had the bridge pick-up replaced with pick-up from an Epi SG400, which isn't coil split-able. What does that mean? What will the sound be like? So yeah, any changes you would make? Guitar stuff seems to be a bit more expensive in Aus, so factor that in.
Sounds like a great beginner rig. The G400 pups are pretty crap. If its not coil splittable it means its a 2 wire humbucker. With a 4 wire pickup you can split the humbucker to get single coil tones. A humbucker is 2 single coils in series, and one is RWRP.

Theyre good guitars for the cash. Try get some better pickups.
Quote by beckyjc
Sounds like a great beginner rig. The G400 pups are pretty crap. If its not coil splittable it means its a 2 wire humbucker. With a 4 wire pickup you can split the humbucker to get single coil tones. A humbucker is 2 single coils in series, and one is RWRP.

Theyre good guitars for the cash. Try get some better pickups.

Thanks for clearing that up, but does that affect the sound? It also has something to do with the switch right?
Very boldly put, with a coiltap you can make a humbucker sound ranging from a Les Paul to a Stratocaster. Since the second guitar has a humbucker which can't be coiltapped, it will only sound like a Les Paul. If you'r after great cleans, this might not be optimal ..
Please let me keep this memory, just this one ..
^For the record coil tap and coil split are different things.

They never sound quite the same as a proper single coil anyway.

Coil split switches will either be a normal toggle switch or a push pull switch mounted to the pot, activated by pulling the pot.
Quote by Samhuinn
Very boldly put, with a coiltap you can make a humbucker sound ranging from a Les Paul to a Stratocaster. Since the second guitar has a humbucker which can't be coiltapped, it will only sound like a Les Paul. If you'r after great cleans, this might not be optimal ..

Humbuckers can do great cleans too.
So I will be able to switch between either, but can't use both at the same time? Sorry, I don't know much about guitars.
Last edited by Ash7778 at Jun 11, 2011,
Quote by Ash7778
So I will be able to switch between either, but can't use both? Sorry, I don't know much about guitars.

how could you eat only half of a sandwich while you are eating all of the same sandwich?
"When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die"
Quote by Ash7778
So I will be able to switch between either, but can't use both at the same time? Sorry, I don't know much about guitars.

Can you split the humbucker and have it not split at the same time?

No, that doesnt make sense.

Can you split the humbukcer and use the neck pickup at the same time?

Yes.

Here's a humbucker.

Youll notice it looks like 2 single coil pickups next to each other, which basically it is.
You can split the humbucker so you only use 1 half of the pickup (6 of the polepeices, instead of all 12), this would make it a single coil pickup, but because of how humbuckers are designed it wont sound as bright or snappy as a regular single coil.

The switch on a guitar will change what pickup you're using, itll usually be a 3 way switch if you have two humbuckers, meaning you can use both pickups at once by putting the switch in the middle.