alright well theres plenty of small hand threads out there, i didnt see one asking this though
i have really small hands - like ive met very few guys/girls with smaller hands.
i have "normal" thickness fingers, so it hasnt really posed a problem with playing. maybe ive gotten used to it.
well until i tried playing john mayers version of "everyday i have the blues" where he wraps his thumb around to the low E, and is playing the A, D, and G strings with fingers 2,3,4. yeah, not going to happen. i cant wrap that far around.

so what i think i need it a shallow, narrow neck. im just finishing my first build, and am already planning ahead to the next and would like to take this into account. i dont know much about what dimensions there are honestly. i wont be making my neck, ill be buying it.

what should i look for? probably about as small as they get without going to kids size? =p

TIA!
The narrowest neck I've seen is Telecaster I think.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
The ESP KH series guitars and the F200 both have narrow necks. As does the EBMM JP model. Check dimensions on those guitars for ideas.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
The ESP KH series guitars and the F200 both have narrow necks. As does the EBMM JP model. Check dimensions on those guitars for ideas.

thanks
looks like the KH is 43mm and 25.5, which is the same as my current build, but its "extra thin flat", no idea how that part compares to the neck i have for this build (necks from a behringer strat copy).
my artcore is 43 by 24.75 or something but with a 305mm radius, which is just over 12 inches. isnt that leaning towards pretty big in terms of radius? and a larger radius would mean a bit shallower generally?
im just trying to compare what i have so i can visualize what the KH might look like or something similar..
thanks again
Im not sure about the width of the necks but check out daisy rock guitars. although made for girls with smaller hands (no offence) they make their necks to compensate for this fact. Im pretty sure they list there neck dimensions on there site if u wish to duplicate one
AMP:
Rocktron chameleon 2000
Roland GP16
Audio Technica wireless
Peavey valveking
Clydesdale custom case
GUITAR:
Indie super T black (modded with active and passive pickups)
Daisy Rock Rock Candy Special
Go out to a Guitar Center or something and see if you can find a John Petrucci guitar or KH signature. You'll be able to feel the difference... The Artcore feels more like a standard guitar to me than the KH and F series do. Of course I could just be thinking of the F-200.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
was just messing around and realized if i wrap around the neck, i cant touch my thumb to my index finger, even close, its like a cm away from the tips of my fingers touching. watching vids online, their fingers can touch plus another cm or so, so you can mute all your strings. this artcore neck must be wayy huge for me!
i dont have a way to get to a guitar center any time soon. would a smaller radius neck be easier then to wrap around?
ok now i think im going crazy.
i was playing my acoustic and noticed i can wrap further, and touch my fingers plus a little. and i cant on my artcore. so i measured the nut, both are 1 21/32"
so then i measured with a string around them at the same position to see the overall distance around them. both were 4.5" around. i dont get it! the shape cant really be different, i dont think... maybe the radius is a little different and that helps a TON?
I've got small hands too, and am looking at trading my Washburn for a Daisy Rock elite. It sounded pretty good from what I can tell, and is a lot lighter,, too many guys trying to shred the walls down at Guitar Center to get to know the guitar a bit. I really wanted to tell those guys to turn it down or put on some headphones... we're all there to try guitars, not to try to impress other shoppers.
Firstly i would like to know just how small your hands are. I can do all that wraparound chord shit and i have tiny hands, like we're talking my longest finger is only 2 and 13/16" (70 mm). I don't think you're going to get a very accurate value measuring round the neck unless you're using the sort of measuring tape that tailors use to measure up clothes with. Besides i think what is really important here is the neck profile. If possible, you should check out guitars you like playing, take a note of model name and see if you can get some info on the neck profile. It is very much a personal thing.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Jun 30, 2011,
I guess your best bet for a small and narrow neck is to order a Warmoth neck on their builder page. "Wizard" neck profile (based on Ibanez Wizard II) and 1 5/8" nut width. You can't really find a smaller standard neck than that.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by eddiehimself
Firstly i would like to know just how small your hands are. I can do all that wraparound chord shit and i have tiny hands, like we're talking my longest finger is only 2 and 13/16" (70 mm).

i kept forgetting to measure my fingers, but it looks like youve met your match! my longest finger is 2 7/8" long, of course i didnt check the 16ths, but it wasnt longer than that!
my ring finger is 2 1/2"

as far as what i like to play, i have only really played what i have now. i will be playing a selection of 5-12 different ones my uncles bringing to the reunion this weekend, but i dont have a way to get to a guitar shop, so i have very little experience with a variety, and wont be able to change that any time soon (except this weekend)...

about the warmoth thing, i dont see myself, meaning i cant, fork out that much money any time soon... or else i would love do that! people get such great results from them it seems. i do really enjoy the woodworking aspect of building though too...

ive got a few options for my next build:
- take a premade thin neck and thin it out a little more - seems risky no?
- build my own neck with a premade fretboard, and make the profile thin how i want it, look into rods of some material for stability inside?

my routing abilities and tools are very limited, and i havent looked into what it takes to make a truss rod channel. is it tough and how precise does it need to be? ive done all my routing with homemade templates but no bits with bearings on them so it was really just freehand inside the box type routing, will this not do for a truss rod? i would love to do my own neck otherwise...

ideas are appreciated!

i could also thin out a premade neck, pull the fretboard and install rod-type braces if i need to. that may be easier?

thanks!

edit- i have also noticed that practicing and stretching has helped me some. i can do a 2-note power chord on the E/A strings with thumb and pinky, but its PUSHING the limit!
Last edited by xadioriderx at Jul 11, 2011,