Hello UG,

I want to buy a new amp, and I'm considering buying an Orange amp (when I get enough money), I tried it in the guitar store, and it's amazing.
Now, when I buy a 30 Watt amp head and a 60 Watt Cabinet, can I actually get 60 Watts of power out of the cabinet or just 30? I don't really understand the difference. Also, what is it that makes tube amps so loud with so little watts?

Thanks,
Bauwke.

#2 of the Orange TH30 Clique
Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
Technically, a tube amp is not louder that it's solid state counterpart but it seems to be. This is caused by the fact that a tube amp can handle a greater frequency range and these extra frequencies which we hear make it seem louder.

I'm not 100% sure about the amp>cab thing so I'll say nothing...
Quote by conor-figgy
Technically, a tube amp is not louder that it's solid state counterpart but it seems to be. This is caused by the fact that a tube amp can handle a greater frequency range and these extra frequencies which we hear make it seem louder.

I'm not 100% sure about the amp>cab thing so I'll say nothing...

No, tube amps sound louder because of their tendency to have greater harmonic distortion than SS amps. There are way more SS amps that have a flat frequency response than tube amps, which DO have a 'greater frequency range' per se. 'Extra frequencies' do not make an amp louder, necessarily.

Your amp will put out 30 watts. The speaker is rated for 60 watts, which means it can safely handle up to 60 watts of power put through it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Jun 11, 2011,
Youll get whatever wattage the amp puts out, speakers dont change the output, thats just there RMS power handling capability.

Theres a few reasons valve amps sound louder.
I dont know all of them.

I do know they respond differently to harmonics, overdriving a valve amp will emphasize more even order harmonics, overdriving a SS amp will emphasize more odd order harmonics.

Instruments sound different because of the harmonic overtones, overtones are the notes that are heard above the fundamental note. For example playing the open E string (82hz), you are also hearing an E an octave above (164hz), and so on and so forth, you'd hear less of these overtones as you turn down your EQ/tone. Even order harmonics are harmonics that are in even intervals from the fundamental note (like 2nd, 4th, 6th), therefore sounding more pleasent to the ear and as a result, louder.

Or something like that.

Basically magic.

What orange btw?
Last edited by beckyjc at Jun 11, 2011,
Yet in the store I tested a Marshall MG 100 HFX (so 100 watts), and it had to be put at 1/4 volume to sound as loud as the orange thunder 30 C (so 30 watts)...
And so it makes no sense that I buy orange 30 watts head with 60 watt cab for it to sound louder than the thunder 30 c combo?

EDIT: Question: will it be louder enough to sound louder than the drums and not so lound that the sound is messed up? And will it be loud enough to gig with?
http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/BEF/Gitaren/Amps-voor-elektrische-gitaren/Orange-Thunder-30C-/art-GIT0019256-000

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
Last edited by Bauwke at Jun 11, 2011,
Depends on the drummer really. If you have a mad man for a drummer you might have trouble staying pristine clean over the drums and may get a wee bit of crunch if the drummer is a hard hitting beast and you have to crank a bit... but other then that you shouldnt have a problem. Valve amps actually sound good if you crank them a bit anyway... Distortion you'll have no issues. Its not as if the clean channel breakup will be unpleasant sounding either it'll sound good lol..

And the mg100dfx is awful.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Jun 11, 2011,
I have the thunder, its a nice amp, i got the head and 1x12 cab.

Mostly because the combo looks stupid.

For reference.

But the combo does have a different speaker, G12h30, which is a dark speaker, lots of low mids, well suited to the TH30, the cabinet has a celestion vintage 30, which is a bit tighter and has more upper mids.

Having more than one speaker will sound louder because you're pushing more air. But it's not going to matter on stage because you'll usually only have 1 speaker miced up, and its way loud anyway.

The cab is isolated from the head, and also closed back, which will sound way different from the open back combo.

A higher sensitivity speaker will be a bit louder, but not very noticable.

You have to x10 the wattage to get something twice as loud. So 30 watts is twice as loud as 3 watts.

Doubling the wattage give a volume increase of 3db. Which is like the difference from whispering to indoor volume talking. (If you played with the half power and 4/2 output valve switches on the TH30 you'd see that.)

A 30 watt valve amp is more than loud enough, but it does run EL84s, which means earlier breakup, on the clean channel, it stays clean till about half way if your using single coils.

Any time you'd need more stage volume than that you should be investing into a PA system anyway, it doesnt matter if your amp was 100000 watts and had 16 12" speakers, its going to sound like crap if you cant disperse the sound properly to the audience and mix the band together.
Last edited by beckyjc at Jun 11, 2011,
So what would the advantages of having a head+cab combo be, apart from the low-mids - upper-mids? So basically, a 30 watt orange amp sounds amazing and is loud enough to gig with at small venues?

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
You can play gigs with it at any venue . "Big" venues mic everything anyway...

A head and cab has advantages because you can upgrade the cab to a bigger one if you want more oompth etc. You can use cabs with a combo but it gets a bit unwieldy at time since a head and cab separate will be lighter then a combo and cab..
Ok, thanks for all the help guys

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
Just want to add, you will definitely be able to handle band situations with 30 watts of valve.

I use a 30 watt Cornford Roadhouse 30 for everything I do, and it seems to be a fairly quiet amp for a 30 watter, but it's filled small-the larger end of medium venues fine, as has been said, bigger venues will mic you up (assuming it's a bigger venue with a sound guy) and it can always be heard over a drummer at about half volume and lower.
Quote by Bauwke
Yet in the store I tested a Marshall MG 100 HFX (so 100 watts), and it had to be put at 1/4 volume to sound as loud as the orange thunder 30 C (so 30 watts)...
And so it makes no sense that I buy orange 30 watts head with 60 watt cab for it to sound louder than the thunder 30 c combo?

EDIT: Question: will it be louder enough to sound louder than the drums and not so lound that the sound is messed up? And will it be loud enough to gig with?
http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/BEF/Gitaren/Amps-voor-elektrische-gitaren/Orange-Thunder-30C-/art-GIT0019256-000

Nope, the cab doesn't actually change the volumes. It might sound 'bigger' with a different cab as opposed to the combo but there won't be a difference in volumes between cabs.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey