Hi all

I've been playing guitar for about 2 and a half years now and I'm thinking it's time to perhaps step up a notch with my guitar. I'm thinking I'll want a new one as I got a fairly cheap Aria STG (at about $300-350), basically a strat copy, to start. My main focus is the price range... I've got plenty saved and wouldn't mind spending less than $2000, but is that a bit too high for my skill? If you can be bothered, I did a recent cover for 'Hand of Blood' by BFMV,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1dlSf0dD-k

if it helps get an idea of my skill level. This is the kinda music I'd like to play (rock and metal; I love bfmv ). I have a Penley Vypyr modelling amp (which was about $300). I was looking at a Gibson SG Standard for $1700, but is this a bit extreme? I've just joined a band and we intend to do some gigs this year, so I'd like it to be fairly good to perform with.
So; summary:

Price Range: < $2000
Skill: Intermediate
Amp: Penley Vypyr
Current Guitar: Aria STG
Music: Mainly Rock/Metal, but Variety would be nice

Thanks for the help in advance
I have to be this person?

Upgrade the amp and the guitar?
Quote by dann_blood
Proof he's a communist! He finally comes out, the nazi!
Yeah get a new amp AND a guitar, seeing as you have that much.

If you like metal and BFMV, take a look at Jackson and ESP guitars.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
ibanez rg and a used 6505+ or something like that....

a 2000 dollar guitar through a 100 dollar amp???
"When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die"
Seriously, spend bout 800 on a decent guitar ie, jackson randy rhoads or an esp ex or something like that. And then spent the rest on a decent amp.

Dean dave mustaine vnmt
Jackson matt tuck rhoads
Carvin 112 100 watt
Vox tonelab le.
Whats a penley amp?
I take it you mean peavey

Yeah
If you're joining a band go 50/50 split amp and guitar
amp is just as important.
Can get get a solid amp and guitar rig EASILY for 2000 bucks especially if you go used.. dont blow it all on a new gibson thats stupid..
I have been playing guitar for almost a decade, I have 7 guitars (including 2 bass guitars) and not one of them I spent over $1,000 on. So if $2,000 is your limit you are in luck. If you like bands like BFMV I would suggest looking into ESP guitars or Jackson. I have owned an ESP LTD F-100 since I started playing and to this day it plays very well. Ibanez is another brand I have been satisfied with. Both brands you can find really good guitars for less than $1,000.
Well, I'd suggest you mine. The Squier Strat Standard HSS Black & Chrome. I don't know if you like how it looks:
http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0321703506
Please don't think like most of the people, I mean "Squier = bad guitars". I got it for €290 (about $415), but I'm pretty sure you can find it at a lower price in your country.
I really like it. The guitar is great, it's really confortable, the pickups work great and they have a really good tone.
But anyway:
Quote by Woffelz

If you like metal and BFMV, take a look at Jackson and ESP guitars.

Agreed.

ALSO, imho you shouldn't necessarily buy a guitar that fits your skill range (ok I don't mean getting 10 string guitar ). Just get a guitar you really like, if it costs like $2000 it doesn't mean it's too much for you.
Run towards the light exposing your soul.
how do you not even know what your own amp is called? Its a PEAVEY Vypyr
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
go for a peavy valvking and a mid ranged gibson SG or gibson les paul... that way you got a decent amp and a pretty good guitar...
Drum drum drum away!
Quote by coolstoryangus
There is better ways to spend 2000 dollars for the ts then a valveking, trust me.

i know mate but if he wants a good guitar and a decent amp that's a nice combination (for a more metal sound)

but the best advice for the ts is to go to music shops and keep playing both guitars and amps he likes and THEN choose...
Drum drum drum away!
When looking for new gear, don't count out the used market. I have 13 guitars and think i only bought about 2 maybe 3 of them brand new. All others i got second hand. Some were local music shop gems(USA Jackson RR1T, with case for $400), others from ebay, craigslist etc. Think about what you want, and for the music you play i would recommend jackson(I'm a fan), then go find it used. Saves you some money and allows you to upgrade that amp as well.
you could get a nice strat or Jaguar HH special and have lots left over for a strong amp too.
Quote by MrSir4
I have been playing guitar for almost a decade, I have 7 guitars (including 2 bass guitars) and not one of them I spent over $1,000 on. So if $2,000 is your limit you are in luck. If you like bands like BFMV I would suggest looking into ESP guitars or Jackson. I have owned an ESP LTD F-100 since I started playing and to this day it plays very well. Ibanez is another brand I have been satisfied with. Both brands you can find really good guitars for less than $1,000.

I forgot to include amps!!

Marshall and Vox are two amp brands that have served me very well. I would also suggest looking into effect processors (like a BOSS ME-50) if you want to customize your sound a bit. But it is an extra $300, or that is how much I spent on it, so if you want to save money and just get amps, then Marshall and Vox is what I would look into if I were you.
First thing you need to do is buy a solid amp. I'm a really big fan of Peavey, and their 6505 is a VERY popular amp for metal(Think roughly in the ballpark of EVH tone). The valveking is also pretty nice, but for BFMV you're gonna need to boost the gain channel a bit. Both are very mildly priced which would leave you plenty of room for most non CShop guitars and an effects processor if you want that too.

For guitars I'm gonna suggest pretty much anything Jackson, Schecter, or ESP. That leaves virtually limitless options on the guitars as far as passive or active pups, floyd rose, coil splitting, # of strings, woods. I will warn you that Schecter's generally run a little thicker than the other two.
Fender Lone Star Stratocaster
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 SH
Peavey VK112
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Boss OS-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
thanks for all the help guys
Apologies for the penley thing: I called out to my sis what the brand was and she said 'penley', so, knowing it's peavey, I still typed penley :/
Also for my lack of knowledge about prices.... I'm self taught so the significance of some things I haven't learned :/
So a decent amp down the peavey route first, and a Jackson, ESP or schecter.
Will a setup like this still play some softer sounds alright?
Should I perhaps also invest in some pedals, etc?
Thanks again
Quote by POSEIDON262

Should I perhaps also invest in some pedals, etc?
Thanks again

If you play rhythm guitar, then no. not really.

If you play lead, I would invest in a nice overdrive and then maybe a decent wah, compressor and a delay.
"When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die"
Quote by Rhythmic

i agree with the amp anyway. but after the amp you would have close to $1000 left so you could probly get a good Jackson or Ibanez to suit the "Variety" that you want
Stuff that I bought:

Washburn WM24V
Raven RG100 Amplifier
Zoom G1X Multi-Effects Pedal

Quote by jsync
how do you define a guitar for a female?
how about one that whines and has trouble with feedback?
For the amp, I'd suggest either a Peavey 6505+ 112, or a Vypyr Tube 60. Both great amps for what you like to play, and you'll have plenty left for a very good guitar.

As for the guitar, just try out as many different kinds as you can. The most important thing in choosing a guitar is finding one that is comfortable to you, and we can't really help you with that, unfortunately.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Any of the guitars Jackson, ESP, Ibanez, or Schetcter sell that is more than $600.
Spend the rest on an amp, Mesa combo, Peavey 6505, or any other good affordable amps.
Thanks for the help guys really.
We've organised a trip down to the city so we can go to a few music shops and try some things out and I'll know generally what I'm looking for now
Ill let yas know what I end up getting if any of yas are interested
Cheers,
That was a massive help
Get a decent amp first.
Playing a 2000 dollar guitar through a cheap amp is frowned upon, since it's the amp that determines 70 or so percent of your tone. I'd actually reccommend splitting the budget - 1200 towards the amp and the remaining 800 towards a guitar. Ibanez, Jackson and ESP(LTD) make some pretty good metal guitars in that range.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.